Rsync Error after DSM 4.3 Update

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Rsync Error after DSM 4.3 Update

Postby scottharwell » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:45 pm

I have a Linux server backing up to my diskstation nightly via rsync. The process has always worked seamlessly until yesterday when I upgraded to DSM 4.3 Now, I get the following error for each file synced:

rsync: chown "<filename>" failed: Invalid argument (22)

It's clearly a chown permission error, but I am not sure why the upgrade would cause it. It happens both when I run rsync manually and via the nightly cron. None of the user permissions changed on the server and the volume is formatted with ext4. Also, I tried moving the folder on the server and rsyncing from scratch, but I get the same error.

Anyone else having the same problems? If so, what did you do to resolve it?
scottharwell
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Rsync Error after DSM 4.3 Update

Postby wcr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:05 pm

I can only say I have the same problem - I just posted it, perhaps inappropriately, in another subforum here, but I believe my problem is exactly like yours.

I have several opensuse linux laptops use the same DS111 with DSM 4.3 as backup medium, using a rsync-based software named dirvish, and I get the same error
rsync: chgrp "<filename>" failed: Invalid argument (22)

for a large number of files (not for all of them).

Any help appreciated!
wcr
Trainee
Trainee

Postby scottharwell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:12 pm

In an effort to fix this, I tried changing my rsync flags from -avHKS to -rltzuvHKS, which removes the chown process in rsync. The root user runs this rsync, so I had to make sure that "root squash" was disabled. It seems to be working now, but I am curious as to why the chown / chgrp processes fail in the new version. Something changed...
scottharwell
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby wcr » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:25 pm

scottharwell wrote:In an effort to fix this, I tried changing my rsync flags from -avHKS to -rltzuvHKS, which removes the chown process in rsync. The root user runs this rsync, so I had to make sure that "root squash" was disabled. It seems to be working now, but I am curious as to why the chown / chgrp processes fail in the new version. Something changed...

indeed I was wondering whether it had something to do with root squash - but since this has worked well over so many version updates for such a long time I keep hoping that someone from synology sorts this out. Definitely, changing the options for rsync is not a possibility for me.
wcr
Trainee
Trainee

Postby wcr » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:48 pm

I have now been in touch with the really nice people from synology support and they have explained to me that DSM 4.3 works with nfs4, while DSM 4.2 worked with nfs3 - and I have found out that this seems to be the root of the problem.

The solution is rather a workaround in my view, but anyway, the problems go away if I mount the share with the additional option "nfsvers=3".
Last edited by wcr on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wcr
Trainee
Trainee

Postby scottharwell » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:31 pm

Nice, worked for me too. Too bad there isn't an obvious solution for using v4. I tried Googling a solution, but most of the results were 5+ years old. I'll see if I can get it working in my spare time.
scottharwell
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby sebastien29800 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:26 pm

add nfsvers=3 in my fstab work for me too

192.168.0.37:/volume1/Backupdata /media/SYNOLOGY/BACKUPDATA nfs users,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,nfsvers=3,suid 0 0

but how to do to use nfs4 ?

thanks
sebastien29800
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby scottharwell » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:24 pm

I don't think either of us knew or figured it out, which is why we are using the work around to nfs3. It seems to have to do with the new ACL in nfs4. It may not be possible.
scottharwell
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby memed » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:41 pm

I think nfs4 does not allow to chgrp to not existing group-id's - as long as the group is in the nas /etc/group file there seems to be no error.
I sync a whole root file system from one linux client to the nas using nfs with rsync. The errors start with nogroup not being on the nas (debian/ubuntu anonymous user group id is something like 65xxx) and continue with each user groupid...
some systemgroups like 125 are on both systems: saned(ubuntu) and postfix(nas) - but i have not seen eerors for them...
Anyhow i do not thing nfs4 will allow to override this in a "simlpe" way, so I will not go for that option because it will/can break on a future update.
I will stick with client-side options for nfs3, there should be no problem to this way a long time and performance for simple "one file at a time" sthings is well enough for nfs3 i think.

Cheers and thanks for the good tip :P

M~
memed
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby sebastien29800 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:09 am

thanks a lot
i understand there is no problem to mount share folder with the additional option "nfsvers=3".

can you give me your fstab line client machine to mount the share folder

mine is :
192.168.0.37:/volume1/Backupdata /media/SYNOLOGY/BACKUPDATA nfs users,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,nfsvers=3,suid 0 0

when i rsync to share folder, i use this :
sudo rsync -vazxH --numeric-ids --ignore-errors --delete --delete-after /home /media/DD_SUPP/Sauvegarde_Home/

is it correct ?

thanks
sebastien29800
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby memed » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:08 pm

I only mount my nfs share in a script, so my mount command is:
mount -t nfs -onoatime,rw,tcp,_netdev,nfsvers=3 $YOURNFSPATH $YOURLOCALDIR

the _netdev stuff is "just there" - it might help you too, since it tells fstab to wait for network befor trying to mount. (but that option fails on my ubuntu tv-streaming client - but that is a different story)
Cheers M¨¨
memed
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Backup/Restore for computer clients