How To Request: hide ":5000/webman/index.cgi" in url

Topics including remote access and management can go here, including port forwarding, telnet, ssh, and advanced network settings.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

How To Request: hide ":5000/webman/index.cgi" in url

Postby omid429 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:08 pm

This question has been asked before and no one has answered yet. If anyone knows how to make the end of the url not appear in the address bar of a browser, please let me know. I have searched these forums and no one has answered this question. There are plenty asking about virtual hosts, and port numbers but everyone seems to be avoiding the issue. Virtual hosts work fine, but that is not the actual DSM. Logging into DSM using either an internal network address or the corresponding domain name still shows ":5000/webman/index.cgi". I do not want that. Many people do not want that. It has nothing to do with virtual hosts. It has nothing to do with port forwarding on my router. It has to with www.my.domain showing up in the address bar as www.my.domain:5000/webman/index.cgi. I would like to know if there is a way to hide this.

Thank you in advance for your help.
omid429
Trainee
Trainee

Re: How To Request: hide ":5000/webman/index.cgi" in url

Postby jokemeister » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:09 pm

Can you explain why this is a problem so we can explore possible solutions. Sometimes the solution depends on what's trying to be achieved.
Regards, Jokemeister
DS211J DSM 4.1-2668 2 x 2TB Seagate + 2TB Samsung USB
DGN3500 Netgear Router/Modem
DLink DGS1016D 16 port Gigabit Switch
Netgear GS105 5 port Gigabit switch
Netgear GS205 5 port Gigabit switch
WDTVLive x 3
PC x 2 LAN
Laptop x 2 WiFi
Transformer Pad TF300T
iPad x 4 WiFi
iPhone x 3 WiFi
iPod x 3 WiFi
PS2 x 2
xbox360
....and a partridge in a pear tree.
jokemeister
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby omid429 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:11 pm

It isn't a problem in terms of functionality. The server works great. What I am trying to accomplish is to remove the excess information from the url so visitors will not see it. That is all. For my virtual hosts, it works fine. It does not show port 80 or the virtual host folder. It is when logging into the DSM. Again, it is not a problem. It is more an aesthetic request.
omid429
Trainee
Trainee

Postby jokemeister » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:46 pm

aesthetic request. Really.....good luck with that then. It's the URL that your browser is going to so not much chance of changing the way your browser shows it.
Regards, Jokemeister
DS211J DSM 4.1-2668 2 x 2TB Seagate + 2TB Samsung USB
DGN3500 Netgear Router/Modem
DLink DGS1016D 16 port Gigabit Switch
Netgear GS105 5 port Gigabit switch
Netgear GS205 5 port Gigabit switch
WDTVLive x 3
PC x 2 LAN
Laptop x 2 WiFi
Transformer Pad TF300T
iPad x 4 WiFi
iPhone x 3 WiFi