Roku?

A new DSM Beta with the following highlights: Windows Offloaded Data Transfer (ODX) Support, SSD TRIM Support, Trust Domain Support in Active Directory, HFS+ Support, an enhanced Cloud Station with Linux support, new 3rd party packages , a brand new Photo Station, DVB-S support in Video Station, mobile application updates and novelties notably DS photo+ for Google TV, DS video for Roku players, DS file for Windows Phones.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team or would simply like to report a bug, here is our support form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/support_form.php

Roku?

Postby Mace0ne » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:14 pm

The new beta mentions Roku support, but I don't see how to set it up. Plex causes too many issues, so I'm hoping Synology has direct support now.
Mace0ne
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Roku?

Postby Jona » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:19 pm

I have been hunting around for this to. As far as I can tell it is some how associated with Video Station. It is sad really, you would think that with how long we have all been clamoring for a solid over the network Roku solution that they would provide a little more meat instead of that horrid teaser. It is a bonus for Roku though. I will likely buy one now.
Jona
Trainee
Trainee

Postby tjohns34 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:41 pm

True. Roku has been worthless as a media streamer since Day 1 simply because it would not stream from NAS devices. Let's hope they BOTH (Synology and Roku) get this feature working right.
tjohns34
Student
Student

Postby rjblake » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:44 pm

From what I read, it seems that it is an app added to Roku (ala DS Video). From the release note:

DS video lets you access Video Station on your Synology NAS server, to watch videos, record digital TV programs, or simply stream them live. Categorize your videos with either default or custom libraries and create your own video collection lists for quick access.
You have to upgrade Video Station to 1.2 beta to have all features of DS video.
rjblake
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Jeremie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:00 am

rjblake wrote:From what I read, it seems that it is an app added to Roku (ala DS Video). From the release note:

DS video lets you access Video Station on your Synology NAS server, to watch videos, record digital TV programs, or simply stream them live. Categorize your videos with either default or custom libraries and create your own video collection lists for quick access.

Hi All,

DS video will indeed be a standalone app in the (Roku) Channel Store. It's currently still being reviewed by Roku, it's "coming soon"
Jeremie
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby rjblake » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:49 am

Jeremie wrote:
rjblake wrote:From what I read, it seems that it is an app added to Roku (ala DS Video). From the release note:

Hi All,

DS video will indeed be a standalone app in the (Roku) Channel Store. It's currently still being reviewed by Roku, it's "coming soon"

...and that, will be reason enough for me to go out and purchase a Roku device. Tired of the half baked Apple TV 3 solution using Plex/PlexConnect - too bad Apple don't open their platform up and allow Apps to run on the device (although HBO Go seems to have been developed by HBO and added to the device).
rjblake
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Mace0ne » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:14 pm

Jeremie wrote:

Hi All,

Ahh, this is what I was hoping for :wink:
Mace0ne
Trainee
Trainee

Postby patrick bateman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:54 pm

Jeremie wrote:Hi All,

Is it going to support direct play of video files? As it stands now, the Roku won't play high bitrate audio/video sent direct from PLEX eh?

I am interested in this, since I ruled out the Roku not long ago due to its inability to stream the movies everyone watches. There always seems to be something lacking in the streaming video world. It's usually one or the other:

- Can't stream media type (usually the one everyone wants [1080p mkv's])
- GUI is horrible looking/jittery/takes forever to load
DS413j 1x WD RED 2TB
Plan to have 4 in SHR
patrick bateman
Rookie
Rookie

Postby rjblake » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:24 pm

patrick bateman wrote:
Jeremie wrote:Hi All,

Is it going to support direct play of video files? As it stands now, the Roku won't play high bitrate audio/video sent direct from PLEX eh?

I am interested in this, since I ruled out the Roku not long ago due to its inability to stream the movies everyone watches. There always seems to be something lacking in the streaming video world. It's usually one or the other:

- Can't stream media type (usually the one everyone wants [1080p mkv's])
- GUI is horrible looking/jittery/takes forever to load

Know what you mean - I've still got my TViX box running as the simplest solution. ATV is a problem unless you use Plex & PlexConnect (which causes other problems). Roku will get a native DSVideo app - if its anything like the one on the iPad, I'll be going the Roku route
rjblake
Beginner
Beginner

Postby bru87tr » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:26 pm

Can you guys post as soon as you see Roku release the app ?
DS112
bru87tr
Beginner
Beginner

Postby patrick bateman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:28 pm

[quote="rjblake]
Know what you mean - I've still got my TViX box running as the simplest solution. ATV is a problem unless you use Plex & PlexConnect (which causes other problems). Roku will get a native DSVideo app - if its anything like the one on the iPad, I'll be going the Roku route[/quote]

Yeah, I am using a WDLive myself. While it plays any file you throw at it, the way that it displays the library is scary bad.

Then I realised my DS can run a PLEX server...wow awesome!
But wait a minute: the latest & greatest streaming media box (Roku) can't play your high bit rate .mkv files without transcoding.
But wait a minute: normal home user/small business DS owners don't have the ability to transcode
DS413j 1x WD RED 2TB
Plan to have 4 in SHR
patrick bateman
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bru87tr » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:18 pm

I was going to buy one Roku 3 for my beach pad and one WD Live TV for home/synology, so I can play all video formats. Once I heard Roku 3 was going to have a DSvideo app, I said forget the WD.

Although I am still curious about it.
DS112
bru87tr
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Outlook » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:21 am

I was told by Roku that Synology could give us a internal key and we could load the DS Video app before it is approved in the channel store.
DS2413+ | DS1511+ | DX510
Outlook
Beginner
Beginner

Postby branpute » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:09 am

Really hoping this Roku app support works as a transcoder solution for my DS213, i'm anxious about any details I can get about this part of the beta.
branpute
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ericdano » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:03 am

Anyone know when the Roku app is going live?
ericdano
Sharp
Sharp

Next

Return to DiskStation Manager 4.3-3776 and onward versions