Uploading Entire Folders to File Station

Questions regarding using the Web File Manager, "File Station" and "File Browser" can be placed here
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Uploading Entire Folders to File Station

Postby viviano.v » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:59 am

Hello,

I am new to Synology,
Ive been searching for an answer here but somehow I cannot find it.

I have trouble uploading folders into my file station...
What happens is that the file station uploads very quickly only an empty link folder
instead of the real folder with its content that I am trying to upload...

There is a work-around ive found where I can zip a file and then that becomes an uploadable file...
but surely there is a way to upload normally full folders with their internal subfolders and content.

could anyboyd help!?

thanks!
viviano.v
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Uploading Entire Folders to File Station

Postby mike42dk » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:57 am

Hi

Need a little more info, from which program are you uploading the folder?

What DSM are you on? what DS? what OS on computer you are uploading the folder?
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS-412+
2 WD red 2 TB harddrive RAID 1
1 Seagate 2 TB harddrive Basic
mike42dk
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby viviano.v » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi!

Thanks!!
Im on a Mac OS X, version 10.7.4
Using Chrome version 25.0.1364.172
System is a DS713+
Two bay, with (2) Seagate 3Gig disks...

Basically doing drag and drop into the File Station open within Chrom, from my Desktop...
viviano.v
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mike42dk » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi

That makes sense, don't work on my MacBook Pro to, I think it has to do with the Java on MAC.

On my MAC I made it so that I mount the folder in Finder and do the copying from there.
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS-412+
2 WD red 2 TB harddrive RAID 1
1 Seagate 2 TB harddrive Basic
mike42dk
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby BorisPlankton786 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi,
So for Linux(Ubuntu 13.04) I cannot expect to upload folders but will have to upload individual files? That is my (very limited) experience so far and from this thread seems that might be it.
Grateful for any advice.
Ubuntu 13.04
Firefox 21.0
System is a DS413J

Thanks
BorisPlankton786
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby BorisPlankton786 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:40 am

Actually no it works fine on Ubuntu 12.04LTS (32 bit) but does not on 13.04 (64 bit.
From Synology support
"In Unbutu, there are two Java venders. One is Oracle, another is OpenJDK. Please make sure to use Oracle Java, not OpenJDK."
You can go to http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp to check which is installed or refer to http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-oracle ... -10-12-04/ to install Oracle Java."
Very good support from Synology and all is looking good.
BorisPlankton786
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jne67 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:37 am

I have the same problem with File Station in Firefox 22.0 under Windows 7 64-bit. If I try to drag and drop a folder from Windows Explorer to File Station I get the message "Folders will not be uploaded. To upload folders, please go to Options and tick Browse files from local computer with File Station." Checking this option I can see that it is already ticked so that is nit the problem.
If I instead try to upload a folder using the "Upload - skip" or "Upload - overwrite" menu options in File Station I only get a "Open" button in the file browser that appears. If I try to "Open" a folder I only get to see it content. Thus I can only upload single files that way.
I'm using Java 7 Update 25 (7.0.250, Mozilla plugin version 10.25.2.16) and Adobe Flash 11.7.700.224 (if that matters).
I have a Synology DiskStation DS213J, running DSM 4.2-3211.

So how do I upload folders using File Station?
jne67
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby levikane » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:58 pm

Hi,

This one had me stumped for ages too! I'm running Win 7 64, and could not accomplish this with Chrome or IE so I presumed it was not a browser issue. I also tried Chrome and Safari on MacOSx with the same issue. Thought perhaps it was not possible, however when I opened my DSM it worked like that out of the box so it had to be a change in my environment. Here's all I did to resolve:

1. Uninstalled java. (Control Pansl > Add Remove)
2. Rebooted.
3. Reinstalled Java.
4. Ran the 'uninstall old java versions' tool http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/rem ... rsions.xml
5. Rebooted.
6. Installed the ActiveX plugin for Chrome.

Now I honestly dont know if it was the java or activex plugin, but my suspicion is Java was the culprit. When I choose 'Upload-Overwrite' I notice the header of the dialogue box has the java icon.

Hope this helps!
levikane
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to File Station