RS10613xs+ : Best practices for ESXi 5.1 Datastore

This room is for the discussion of how the Synology DiskStation can meet the storage needs for Virtual HyperVisors.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

RS10613xs+ : Best practices for ESXi 5.1 Datastore

Postby Loc-Art » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:40 pm

We recently got a RS10613xs+ and plan to use it as shared storage for 3 ESXi 5.1 hosts.

It is running DSM 4.1, all 10 bays are populated and currently setup as a one RAID 6 volume with 6.5 TB of disk space available. I also added two SSD drives that will be used to cache the iSCSI lun that will be used for the VMware shared storage.

I haven't configured the iSCSI lun and target yet and wanted to get some advice on how to get everything setup for the best performance as a VMware shared storage device.

Is there a Synonlogy VMware Best Practices guide that can help me? Also, any advice from other who have done this is also welcome.

BTW, are there any known issues with VMware that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!
Loc-Art
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: RS10613xs+ : Best practices for ESXi 5.1 Datastore

Postby yakbone » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:34 pm

As a start, there is a wiki article on using iSCSI with synology that has a best practices area.

http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... iskStation

While not a be-all-end-all guide, it's a good place to start while you wait for some of the more experienced VMware guys to chime in.

-yakbone
yakbone
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby bertdb » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:40 pm

Loc-Art wrote:We recently got a RS10613xs+ and plan to use it as shared storage for 3 ESXi 5.1 hosts.

It is running DSM 4.1, all 10 bays are populated and currently setup as a one RAID 6 volume with 6.5 TB of disk space available. I also added two SSD drives that will be used to cache the iSCSI lun that will be used for the VMware shared storage.

I haven't configured the iSCSI lun and target yet and wanted to get some advice on how to get everything setup for the best performance as a VMware shared storage device.

Is there a Synonlogy VMware Best Practices guide that can help me? Also, any advice from other who have done this is also welcome.

BTW, are there any known issues with VMware that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

I'm running an RS3413xs+ in a vSphere 5.1 environment. I posted some notes here: http://virtwo.blogspot.com/2013/01/syno ... notes.html

I also found that manually adding (multiple) tagged VLANs on bonded interfaces works, but only after a lot of manual mucking about, and as it isn't officially supported, you will want to stay away from such a configuration.

best regards,
Bert.
bertdb
Trainee
Trainee

Postby shootguy2 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:49 pm

Just wondering, since it has been 2 months I wondered if you got everything working.
We are thinking of doing the same thing but with 2 x 3412RPxs models running HA (High Availability).
Still not sure on a couple of things like:
1. 1 vSwitch per Vkernel ISCSI initiator/port, but testing shows that even with round robin enabled the connection does time out when removing 1 cable and only after 10 seconds will regain on the other LAN port.
2. VMWare ISCSI - recommendation is 9000MTU for ISCSI, but synology NAS seems to become very slow in repsonse when set to 9000MTU. What is up with that?
3. Multiple paths to the 3412RPxs model (2 seperate ip's in the HA clustered environment),what should be a recommended ISCSI *LoginTimeout* and *RecoveryTimeout* value?

Could you post your findings?
shootguy2
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Virtual HyperVisors (VMWare/ESXi)