Resolved: DSM 4.1 and iTunes server not working

Any questions/comments about the iTunes server can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Resolved: DSM 4.1 and iTunes server not working

Postby bclub03 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:19 pm

After upgrading DSM from 4.0 to 4.1 I am no longer able to see any media on the diskstation through iTunes even though it sees the diskstation. When I click the diskstation in iTunes it just sits there thinking and eventually stops looking for media. Everything was working fine on 4.0 previously.

I'm running the latest version of iTunes server and iTunes on OSX. I've tried re-indexing, reinstalling iTunes server, and restarting the diskstation.

Anyone else have this problem and/or able to help me resolve this issue?
Last edited by bclub03 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
bclub03
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DSM 4.1 and iTunes server not working

Postby fujirou » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:27 am

try rename the shared name of iTunes server.
fujirou
Experienced
Experienced

Re: DSM 4.1 and iTunes server not working

Postby bclub03 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:49 am

When I upgraded to 4.1 the firewall was set to block iTunes server by default so all I had to do was allow access and now everything works! Also PnP was blocked by default too so I changed the setting and now my PS3 can see my diskstation. Fixed two problems at the same time!
bclub03
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Resolved: DSM 4.1 and iTunes server not working

Postby sixth » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

I am having the same issue. Running 4.1, and uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted, changed the share name, etc. The share shows up but when I click on it it just sits and spins and spins and never connects. The CPU on the DS pegs at 100% too during this period.

I think this is a bug! I even tried logging into iTunes and een authorized the machine I am on. Still occurs. Any other options? Synology care to comment on this?
sixth
I'm New!
I'm New!

Are itunes, Time Machine working well now for you? Pls Advi

Postby 1basje » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:50 pm

I'm about to purchase a 212j (& 2x 2TB WD red HDD) but Im seeing all this recent history of issues with time machine etc. I want to back up one (Mirrored) Vista 64 PC and two Macbooks - mtn lion, brand new (also about to buy) as well as run an itunes / media server, document server , very basic.

I asked synology via support and they said all these time machine issues were resolved a few weeks back via a hotfix.

Can you or anyone here tell me if things are working properly now? Is this true? Are you happy with synology or should I reconsider?

(not a network guy but OK around PCs)

1basje@gmail.com
1basje
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby muelli75 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi!

Here the same troubles, my first question about this issue wasnt answered.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=55145

In some cases the server iTMServer works well. There is no pattern dedectable.

I figured out, that the iTMServer never works, after adding some Files to my "music"-directory on my DS411j.
It takes days before the iTMS start to work again - even if I add only one file. (there are more than 18.000 files in my library)

@ Synology-Support: Any ideas?

Martin
muelli75
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby SlugBlanket » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:35 am

I have a similar problem with the iTunes media server.

I am running both Macs and Windows Machines and all have had the same connectivity issues since I upgraded to DSM 4.1. All machines can see the NAS from within iTunes but when I try to select the NAS server the iTunes display simply reverts back to the Local Library on any given machine.

If I go into Package Center and stop and then restart the iTunes Server then all machines via iTunes can see the music on the NAS for anything from 5 mins to an hour before once again being unable to connect to the NAS from within iTunes. Outside of iTunes, all PC's can at all times see and connect to the NAS as expected (via Finder on Mac and Explorer on Windows) and can see any and all music folders that I would expect the iTunes server to be making available within iTunes on those machines.

I do not use the DSM firewall at all but following the advice on this thread I created a rule to allow all traffic through the DSM firewall. I then rebooted my NAS and once again tried to connect to it via iTunes on my machines with the same dropped connections resulting.

I have to say that this issue is not resolved.
SlugBlanket
I'm New!
I'm New!

DSM 4.1 and iTunes server not working

Postby sixth » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:18 pm

This is NOT resolved! The the title needs to be changed.

Even after the latest update of DSM 4.1, this issue still exists on both Windows and OSX iTunes platforms. Logging into iTunes account still doesnt fix the problem and setting password on the share also doesnt correct it. Uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, rebooting, also does not fix the problem.

Anyone at Synology mind testing this in the lab? I am sure it could be replicated easily.
sixth
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby SlugBlanket » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:38 am

I logged a Ticket with Synology and they said that if I connected any of my PC's directly via USB to my NAS and could see the iTunes media that the problem might be an issue with my router. I've been in IT support for far too long not to realise what was meant by this statement. My router is fine, has always been fine and wasn't messed with by me in any way shape or form. So the only "problem" is that I didn't have these ports forwarded, because in the past I never needed to. I didn't bother connecting my PC's to the NAS as suggested as that was too impractical due to the location of each.

What Synology should have said and didn't was that they changed things in 4.1 and now the iTunes server ports need to be forwarded from within my home router onto my Synology NAS.

I created a rule in the Synology NAS DSM Firewall (it's under Control Panel) to let all traffic through.
I then forwarded the four ports below from within my home router to send these onto the ip address of my Synology NAS.

Problem appears to be solved. Thanks Synology for changing this and not even having the decency to tell us up front ... The problem may be with your router simply isn't good enough.

3689 iTunes
548 DSM share mac files (For Macs)
5353 bonjour (For macs running older OS)
5000 dsm

I suspect that in reality the ONLY port that needs to be forwarded is 3689 but I can't be bothered just yet to tie it all down. The point here is it's not just the DSM firewall you need to look at but also that of your home router.

Once the DSM firewall and your home router have been updated, restart your Synology NAS and then restart iTunes on your PC. Your connectivity should now last as long as it did before DSM 4.1

Hope this helps.
SlugBlanket
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby fordperf » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:04 pm

SlugBlanket that only affects you if you're going through your router. For those of us who are trying to access the music of DSM iTunes Server on the local LAN, this solution does not apply. So we still have a problem :(
fordperf
Novice
Novice

Postby digitalrobot » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:55 pm

I have the same problem, the shared library (server data store shows up) is there but yet just drops when connecting, i renamed, restarted etc, i think it may need to be indexed, thinking how long it would take to load the first folder i put in there, 80GB i think i will go to the Control Panel>Media Indexing Service>REINDEX.

This is happening now so, i will wait and see how it goes if anyone is still having problems? :wink:
digitalrobot
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to iTunes Server