Synology Time Backup -- How does it work as the disk fills?

Discussion room for the Synology Time Backup Package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Synology Time Backup -- How does it work as the disk fills?

Postby quink » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:37 pm

I was wondering if there was any more info regarding the time backup and how it works as the disk becomes more full nearing capacity. Does it discard versions as it runs out of space?
quink
Novice
Novice

Re: Synology Time Backup -- How does it work as the disk fil

Postby Rancid » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:53 am

Yes.

the system has a built in function called smart recycle.
don't know the ins and outs, but as the disk fills up it should remove the oldest backup.
Rancid
Sharp
Sharp

Postby henkg » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:42 pm

AFAIK, smart recycle is based on the age of backups, not on disks running out of space. So, yes, it does help, but there is no "smart" action when the disk runs out of space.
DS412+. 4x WD40EFRX, RAID5. DSM 5.0-4493 update 5
DS210j. 2x HD204UI, RAID1. DSM 5.0-4493 update 4
Windows 8.1 Pro. Router Netgear WNDR3700. Switch TP-Link TL-SG1008D. AcRyan Mini v1. UPS APC BE700G-GR. Ipcam Edimax IC-3010.
henkg
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby quink » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:29 am

Reason I was asking is this feature doesn't seem fully thought out. The manual on it is a bit sparse. As per tech support this is not a 'backup' of the system, but a way to recover individual files and maintain version history of them. This doesn't replace doing a backup.
quink
Novice
Novice

Postby Rancid » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:47 am

You are right.
the manual is a bit sparing in detail and its not a system backup.
However time backup is useful for what it can do.

Have a look at the post from Henkg in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=163&t=54222
Rancid
Sharp
Sharp

Postby infobleep » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:44 am

When I contacted Synology support and explained I required something similar to Time Machine, I was directed to Timed Backup.

Now I'm reading on here it isn't a system backup solution. I guess it's called Timed Backup because it does backup. What I'd really like though is a backup solution that included the system configuration.

I guess I'm after a Time Machine [Mac OS X] type solution but one which also includes the ability to be able to reboot if a new Synology DS had to be used for whatever reason. On my Mac I use Time Machine and Carbon Copy Clone. The latter just creating a weekly bootable image of my hard drive. Everything else on external disks is just backup up using Time Machine.

Why the sparse documentation? Surely it's only going to lead to misinformation and understanding. Far better to produce good and useful documentation.

Looks like though that Timed Backup will do what I require to some extent and I will just have to run a separate backup for the system configurations.
infobleep
Novice
Novice

Return to Time Backup