Disk space not free-ing up

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Disk space not free-ing up

Postby blackb8 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi guys,

I have an issue with my Diskstation 1511+ with 5x2tb WD Green drives.

Couple of days back, I got the low disk space warning in DSM. So I went about deleting some files to free up space.

Even after deletion of 300Gb worth of files, I still get the low disk space warning.Subsequently, I went into file manager and it still shows that only 900mb is free.

Thinking that this was due to a bug, I rebooted the Diskstation and tried powering it off and on again but to no avail.

I upgraded to DSM 4.1 Beta thinking that having access to the recycle bin will help clear up the space but it responded just the same.

The deletion of file were done on both Windows Explorer (Win7) and File Manager. I have tried the 'CFIS Empty Recycle Bin' option in Control Panel when I was still running DSM 4.0

Can anyone shed some light on how to fix this issue?

-PS- I deleted more files when I was on 4.1 Beta and emptied the recycle bin of the respective directory but it still shows only 900mb of space left.
blackb8
I'm New!
I'm New!

Ran out of space and deleting files won't make difference

Postby sonivex » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:57 am

Subject says it all. I ran out of space downloading stuff on my Download Station. So when I noticed this I started to move lots of data to another external disk and freed approximately 60 Gb. Now, my DS110j won't recognize the free space I have just created (interestingly, not even the storage manager can see that). I have tried to restart it, shut it down and on again, reset configuration but nothing made my unit "become aware" of the new free space. Is there anything else I can try to do here? Right now I can't even run Download Station because it says: "Connection failed. Please check your network setting"and on the background "Download service disabled". I know network settings are ok, because everything else seems to be working fine. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
sonivex
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Disk space not free-ing up

Postby Tempuz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:37 pm

Same thing here. I've had the problem before (and it apparently solved it by itself at some point).
...or perhaps I did something...Anyway, at least I have no clue to what I did.
It's quite annoying...and since I cleaned up around 300GB worth of junk, it's kinda disappointing to see that the diskstation still believes that Im at 0% storage space left...
Really hope that someone has an answer to this...as said, it's not the first time I encounter this problem.
Tempuz
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby capblasters » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:25 am

I am having the same issue with my 412+. I am hoping someone has a soltuion for this. I thought by replying to your post it might generate from interest from one of the forum monitors.
capblasters
I'm New!
I'm New!

Deleting files won't free up space on DS212+

Postby kloponline » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:01 am

I've deleted numerous duplicate files in the "home" directory on my diskstation.

After some time I noticed that I was running out of disk space. I have a total of 500Gig available. The more I deleted, the less space was available.

I emptied all the recycle bins in the Win/Mac/NFS section of the Control Panel but that didn't free up any space.

When I add up the Gigs used in each folder in the file manager I get a number far less than what says is being used on the NAS.

What am I missing?

Please help.

thanks
kloponline
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Ayden » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:56 pm

Yep. I had the same issue - 2TB of data on a 4TB hard drive and it tells me it's full?

Did anybody manage to solve the issue?
Ayden
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bubblegum57 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Hi, Today I noticed the space in storage manager was going down. Yesterday I enabled cloud station, so I have just disabled it, the disk space has stopped decreasing now.

But, after adding up the used space via file station, I am still 200GB out.

Any ideas?

I have just updated to dsm4.1. No change, now after uninstalling cloud station, my storage space is creeping up.
bubblegum57
Rookie
Rookie

Postby kloponline » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:30 pm

To solve the issue I backed up the disk station, deleted my disk volume and started over by re-creating my RAID 1 array. Now everything works fine. Something must have gotten jacked up the first time around.
kloponline
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby noseboy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:36 pm

Have you tried using du on specific directories to see if you can identify where the data's hiding?
noseboy
Student
Student

Postby ngianos » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:56 pm

I've started having the same problem and there's about 800 GB it says are being used but actually aren't. I recently turned on Cloud Station. I just disabled it earlier today after reading this thread and no change yet.
ngianos
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bubblegum57 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:30 pm

Disabling cloudstation didn't work. I uninstalled it.
bubblegum57
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ngianos » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:17 pm

Uninstalling Cloud Station worked. I immediately open the Storage Manager and I could watch the used space dropping. I just gained 800 GB of space back.
ngianos
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Fozmeister » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:46 am

Fozmeister
Trainee
Trainee

Postby superbug » Fri May 03, 2013 3:48 am

Yes, I had the exact same problem. I have a 2TB mirror setup with about 500GB actual data. After I installed and turned on cloudstation, all the space was used up. Both Windows explorer and the diskstation think the it is full. I uninstalled cloudstation and watched the space reappeared.

Is someone from Synology working on fixing this bug?
superbug
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Springer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:50 am

I also had the problem with disk space not free-ing up.

My problem was the downloadmanager, holding on to the files even if I deleted them via the filestation. Deleting the .torrent file in my case released the space.
Springer
I'm New!
I'm New!

Next

Return to System Management