Connection failed

Post your questions about using our Download Station here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Connection failed

Postby indelible » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:05 am

Hi, I just got a DS212j. I'm having a problem with Download Station, when I open it, I get the following:

As far as I know, all of my ports are forwarded correctly:

I'm able to access the NAS with webDAV through my phone and I can access it through the external IP as well.

Download Station is enabled in the firewall as well

how do i fix this? TIA!
indelible
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Connection failed

Postby indelible » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:59 am

help? other packages work fine, like couchpotato and sickbeard
indelible
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bluesky255255 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:19 pm

I am the same error after upgarde DSM4.0. At least three time i got :Failed to establish network connection. I need to reboot the DS210j to resume services.

By the way, Audio station encounter same error. I run smoothly DSM2.X to 3.X over years, seem like a bug in DSM 4.0.
bluesky255255
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby monochromec » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:54 pm

Same here. I've already filed a support ticket but haven't received an answer yet. Network configuration hasn't been touched so something part of the upgrade must have caused this issue.
monochromec
Trainee
Trainee

Postby monochromec » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Toyed around with the postgres instance a bit. At first I suspected that a missing instance was the problem as it had trouble starting the corresponding init script (located in /usr/syno/etc.defaults/rc.d/S20pgsql.sh). After correcting the issue (yes, /opt seems to be mounted AFTER this script is executed as I assigned bash as the login shell to admin and this init script contains a few su -l admin commands and for some reason it could not start the login shell :D ), the DL still seems to have issues starting up. Removing the database from /volume.../@database/pgsql and having the init script rebuilt the database didn't make a difference. I also noticed in some init script that apparently the DL may require an additional port range (16881-) but opening them on the external firewall in the router connected to the diskstation didn't make a difference. Although the diskstation-internal firewall was disabled by default, I created a custom rule allowing any traffic pass through just to try it out but this also didn't make any difference...

I hope that Synology fixes this issue ASAP as I suspect that I'm not the only user considering the DL a vital part of DSM.

PS: I also noticed a few other issues mostly related to power-down procedures. For details, see http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=49000&p=188211#p188211.
monochromec
Trainee
Trainee

Postby monochromec » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:45 pm

Finally managed to get the DownloadStation up and running again. Some digging around and various forms of advanced magic helped a bit :-).

Here's what I did - your mileage may vary...:

- The first stumbling block was that DL manager CGI was looking for the Postgres server PID in the wrong location. So a small modification of /usr/syno/pgsql/etc/postgresql.conf with external_pid_file = '/tmp/postgresql.pid' pleased the CGI.
- Next was the fact that the DL package installation file didn't create the Postgres "download" database. Don't ask me why - when I upgraded to DSM 4-2198 I suspected that the upgrade process should take care of this - it didn't. Even a package removal and re-installation process through the Package Center didn't not create the DB. Hint: if you set the logging level in the server startup script (/usr/syno/etc.defaults/rc.d/S20pgsql.sh) high enough, the server will tell you :D that the download DB is missing...
- After creating the DB (just use any Postgres GUI tool on another machine to create the DB - but ensure that you include the correct IP mask in /usr/syno/pgsql/etc/pg_hba.conf in this case or simply use the psql CLI front end as admin), a DB population script will create all the tables in this newly created DB. Executing the command 'su -l admin -c "/usr/syno/pgsql/bin/psql -U admin download -f /var/packages/DownloadStation/target/scripts/sql/download.pgsql"' will do this.
- After this, your DL Station should be working again.
- @Synology: Please fix the scripts so that DL will usable right after the upgrade to DSM 4! And maybe a thought for the next DL Station release: correct the GUI error messages so that DB problems are indicated as such and do not point in the direction of connectivity / network issues.
monochromec
Trainee
Trainee

Postby indelible » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:16 pm

monochromec wrote:Finally managed to get the DownloadStation up and running again. Some digging around and various forms of advanced magic helped a bit :-).

Here's what I did - your mileage may vary...:

- The first stumbling block was that DL manager CGI was looking for the Postgres server PID in the wrong location. So a small modification of /usr/syno/pgsql/etc/postgresql.conf with external_pid_file = '/tmp/postgresql.pid' pleased the CGI.
- Next was the fact that the DL package installation file didn't create the Postgres "download" database. Don't ask me why - when I upgraded to DSM 4-2198 I suspected that the upgrade process should take care of this - it didn't. Even a package removal and re-installation process through the Package Center didn't not create the DB. Hint: if you set the logging level in the server startup script (/usr/syno/etc.defaults/rc.d/S20pgsql.sh) high enough, the server will tell you :D that the download DB is missing...
- After creating the DB (just use any Postgres GUI tool on another machine to create the DB - but ensure that you include the correct IP mask in /usr/syno/pgsql/etc/pg_hba.conf in this case or simply use the psql CLI front end as admin), a DB population script will create all the tables in this newly created DB. Executing the command 'su -l admin -c "/usr/syno/pgsql/bin/psql -U admin download -f /var/packages/DownloadStation/target/scripts/sql/download.pgsql"' will do this.
- After this, your DL Station should be working again.
- @Synology: Please fix the scripts so that DL will usable right after the upgrade to DSM 4! And maybe a thought for the next DL Station release: correct the GUI error messages so that DB problems are indicated as such and do not point in the direction of connectivity / network issues.

thanks, but i dont know how to do any of that lol
indelible
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby erwinsie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:22 pm

hi
im new, also have the same problem cannot see anything on package centre.
also, "failed to forward diskstation information to push service server"

anyone can help?
Devices: DS1511+, BILLION 7800N, APPLETV2, Iphone 4, Iphone 3GS, IPAD 1, ACER LAPTOP, SONY LAPTOP, LG 55LW6500 TV
erwinsie
Student
Student

Postby ameoba » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:25 pm

I have got the same problem. Any fix on this?
ameoba
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Shabu » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:19 am

Perhaps this can help.

I had the same problem.
My DiskStation has crashed.
So I have contacted the support to help me.
I have reinstalled the DSM and... experienced the same problem with the Download Station.
This is a copy of the mail I have received after the technical support found the solution.

Your DiskStation was hacked before the crash, and a remaining file (/volume1/homes/admin/.profile) is preventing your Download Station to work normally. I have removed the file.

Please refer to our announcement released on Feb. 14.

http://www.synology.com/en-global/company/news/article/437

You may also refer to this doc "How to secure your Synology NAS server on the Internet" for better security:

http://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/tutorials/478

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Grant Cheng

Technical Support

and of course... excuse my poor english...
Shabu
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Download Station