Connection failed

Post your questions about using our Download Station here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Connection failed

Postby indelible » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:05 am

Hi, I just got a DS212j. I'm having a problem with Download Station, when I open it, I get the following:

As far as I know, all of my ports are forwarded correctly:

I'm able to access the NAS with webDAV through my phone and I can access it through the external IP as well.

Download Station is enabled in the firewall as well

how do i fix this? TIA!
indelible
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Connection failed

Postby indelible » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:59 am

help? other packages work fine, like couchpotato and sickbeard
indelible
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bluesky255255 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:19 pm

I am the same error after upgarde DSM4.0. At least three time i got :Failed to establish network connection. I need to reboot the DS210j to resume services.

By the way, Audio station encounter same error. I run smoothly DSM2.X to 3.X over years, seem like a bug in DSM 4.0.
bluesky255255
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby monochromec » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:54 pm

Same here. I've already filed a support ticket but haven't received an answer yet. Network configuration hasn't been touched so something part of the upgrade must have caused this issue.
monochromec
Trainee
Trainee

Postby monochromec » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Toyed around with the postgres instance a bit. At first I suspected that a missing instance was the problem as it had trouble starting the corresponding init script (located in /usr/syno/etc.defaults/rc.d/S20pgsql.sh). After correcting the issue (yes, /opt seems to be mounted AFTER this script is executed as I assigned bash as the login shell to admin and this init script contains a few su -l admin commands and for some reason it could not start the login shell :D ), the DL still seems to have issues starting up. Removing the database from /volume.../@database/pgsql and having the init script rebuilt the database didn't make a difference. I also noticed in some init script that apparently the DL may require an additional port range (16881-) but opening them on the external firewall in the router connected to the diskstation didn't make a difference. Although the diskstation-internal firewall was disabled by default, I created a custom rule allowing any traffic pass through just to try it out but this also didn't make any difference...

I hope that Synology fixes this issue ASAP as I suspect that I'm not the only user considering the DL a vital part of DSM.

PS: I also noticed a few other issues mostly related to power-down procedures. For details, see http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=49000&p=188211#p188211.
monochromec
Trainee
Trainee

Postby monochromec » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:45 pm

Finally managed to get the DownloadStation up and running again. Some digging around and various forms of advanced magic helped a bit :-).

Here's what I did - your mileage may vary...:

- The first stumbling block was that DL manager CGI was looking for the Postgres server PID in the wrong location. So a small modification of /usr/syno/pgsql/etc/postgresql.conf with external_pid_file = '/tmp/postgresql.pid' pleased the CGI.
- Next was the fact that the DL package installation file didn't create the Postgres "download" database. Don't ask me why - when I upgraded to DSM 4-2198 I suspected that the upgrade process should take care of this - it didn't. Even a package removal and re-installation process through the Package Center didn't not create the DB. Hint: if you set the logging level in the server startup script (/usr/syno/etc.defaults/rc.d/S20pgsql.sh) high enough, the server will tell you :D that the download DB is missing...
- After creating the DB (just use any Postgres GUI tool on another machine to create the DB - but ensure that you include the correct IP mask in /usr/syno/pgsql/etc/pg_hba.conf in this case or simply use the psql CLI front end as admin), a DB population script will create all the tables in this newly created DB. Executing the command 'su -l admin -c "/usr/syno/pgsql/bin/psql -U admin download -f /var/packages/DownloadStation/target/scripts/sql/download.pgsql"' will do this.
- After this, your DL Station should be working again.
- @Synology: Please fix the scripts so that DL will usable right after the upgrade to DSM 4! And maybe a thought for the next DL Station release: correct the GUI error messages so that DB problems are indicated as such and do not point in the direction of connectivity / network issues.
monochromec
Trainee
Trainee

Postby indelible » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:16 pm

monochromec wrote:Finally managed to get the DownloadStation up and running again. Some digging around and various forms of advanced magic helped a bit :-).

Here's what I did - your mileage may vary...:

- The first stumbling block was that DL manager CGI was looking for the Postgres server PID in the wrong location. So a small modification of /usr/syno/pgsql/etc/postgresql.conf with external_pid_file = '/tmp/postgresql.pid' pleased the CGI.
- Next was the fact that the DL package installation file didn't create the Postgres "download" database. Don't ask me why - when I upgraded to DSM 4-2198 I suspected that the upgrade process should take care of this - it didn't. Even a package removal and re-installation process through the Package Center didn't not create the DB. Hint: if you set the logging level in the server startup script (/usr/syno/etc.defaults/rc.d/S20pgsql.sh) high enough, the server will tell you :D that the download DB is missing...
- After creating the DB (just use any Postgres GUI tool on another machine to create the DB - but ensure that you include the correct IP mask in /usr/syno/pgsql/etc/pg_hba.conf in this case or simply use the psql CLI front end as admin), a DB population script will create all the tables in this newly created DB. Executing the command 'su -l admin -c "/usr/syno/pgsql/bin/psql -U admin download -f /var/packages/DownloadStation/target/scripts/sql/download.pgsql"' will do this.
- After this, your DL Station should be working again.
- @Synology: Please fix the scripts so that DL will usable right after the upgrade to DSM 4! And maybe a thought for the next DL Station release: correct the GUI error messages so that DB problems are indicated as such and do not point in the direction of connectivity / network issues.

thanks, but i dont know how to do any of that lol
indelible
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby erwinsie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:22 pm

hi
im new, also have the same problem cannot see anything on package centre.
also, "failed to forward diskstation information to push service server"

anyone can help?
Devices: DS1511+, BILLION 7800N, APPLETV2, Iphone 4, Iphone 3GS, IPAD 1, ACER LAPTOP, SONY LAPTOP, LG 55LW6500 TV
erwinsie
Student
Student

Postby ameoba » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:25 pm

I have got the same problem. Any fix on this?
ameoba
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Shabu » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:19 am

Perhaps this can help.

I had the same problem.
My DiskStation has crashed.
So I have contacted the support to help me.
I have reinstalled the DSM and... experienced the same problem with the Download Station.
This is a copy of the mail I have received after the technical support found the solution.

Your DiskStation was hacked before the crash, and a remaining file (/volume1/homes/admin/.profile) is preventing your Download Station to work normally. I have removed the file.

Please refer to our announcement released on Feb. 14.

http://www.synology.com/en-global/company/news/article/437

You may also refer to this doc "How to secure your Synology NAS server on the Internet" for better security:

http://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/tutorials/478

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Grant Cheng

Technical Support

and of course... excuse my poor english...
Shabu
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Download Station