Storage Manager won't load: "Connection failed."

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Storage Manager won't load: "Connection failed."

Postby cosmic_cam » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:06 am

Hi all,

This will be my first post. I'll try to be as specific as I can to describe the problem I'm having.

I run a DS410j with 4x 2tb hdds (1x WD2002FYPS-02W3B and 3x seagate ST2000DL003-9VT1). The system runs DSM 3.0-1354. At the moment I am operating in degraded mode (3/4) and cannot seem to restore my system. When I look under the 'storage' tab in System Information all four drives report their status as 'system partition failed'. Disk 1 (WD2002FYPS-02W3B) no longer belongs to Volume 1 like the others do. This could indicate that the problem has to do with Disk 1?

As far as I know none of the hdds have reported bad sectors or other errors. I don't know for sure because when Storage Manager tries to load it hangs for 1 minute before giving the error "Connection failed. Please check your network settings." I have opened up the DS410j and lightly vacuumed up some dust, reinserted all drives but continue to get this error. What does this mean?

Happy to give other info that might help shed light on the problem. Any help would be really appreciated before I will submit a ticket with Synology.

Thanks
Cameron
cosmic_cam
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion