CPU temp, DS211

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/form ... y/feedback
Forum rules
We do our best to monitor and forward your ideas to our team, but due to the large amount, we may not see every single one and recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/form ... y/feedback

CPU temp, DS211

Postby cread » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:36 am

I know cooling has been brought up before, but I can only address the unit I have so I want to keep this separate.
It seems the DS211 only has a heat spreader on the CPU and not a heat sink. There needs to be more air over the CPU. My drives, a Samsung HD204UI run at most at 32C and my CPU runs at 50C(idle). My PC is an overclocked I7 and it runs at 28-30C at idle (while typing this). (it peaks at 50C with one core at 4GHz and is air cooled with a $20 cooler).
Some ideas:
- There is not enough air inlets. The ones on the bottom are hardly as large as the fan opening on the rear. The inlets should be at least 2x the size.
- The front panel has a fake grill. Make it real.
- Put some fins on the CPU. air passing a smooth surface does not cool very well.
- make the side of the case with the CPU on it metal and place a thermally conductive elastomeric pad on it.
- make air openings on the top (if not the front). The bottom restricts flow too much.

NOTE: I have not looked up the specs on this processor. It might be fine at 50C, but in general cooler = longer life.

PS: while we are at it, place the temps of both the CPU and the drives on the System Information->General page. With both the Green/Red lights and the actual readings. Easier to see what is up when things get hot.
Thanks
- Chip
DS211 5.1-5004, 2x samsung HD204UI 2T, USB backup of DS
PC= Win7, I7-860 Trubo@3.5G, 8G, and 5T HD's installed
cread
Versed
Versed

Re: CPU temp, DS211

Postby avuton » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:11 am

Old story, you can google it for the research information, but google says drive temperature isn't as big a deal as some think. I tend to agree, I have 3 2TB drives which average at 39 degrees; they've been running since they came out (I bought them the day they were released). None have had any more errors than average. If I remember right the study actually says 35-40 is the sweet spot, but drive failures don't start really going up until 50.
avuton
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: CPU temp, DS211

Postby cread » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:23 am

avuton wrote:Old story, you can google it for the research information, but google says drive temperature isn't as big a deal as some think. I tend to agree, I have 3 2TB drives which average at 39 degrees; they've been running since they came out (I bought them the day they were released). None have had any more errors than average. If I remember right the study actually says 35-40 is the sweet spot, but drive failures don't start really going up until 50.

My Drives are quite cool at 30C. The fan is designed to cool them. It is the CPU buried under the drives with only a heat spreader on it. Some fins would go a long way. My case is only warm in one spot.... Yup under the CPU and it is plastic. There is a lot of room for improvement here.
The Marvel processor is rated Tj is 105C so I am not too concerned, just perplexed at how little was done to cool it. The Delta $ between a heat spreader or a heat sink has to be much less than a dolor. This is a server after all, failure is not an option. With a fake air grill on the front it is even more perplexing.
Just a suggestion.
PS: now that I looked at the link, I remember seeing that when it came out. Funny thing, My PC drives are 40 and 33C (they are not the low RPM energy saving types) and my CPU is at 29C. Maybe I went overboard with the cooler :wink: (I know I did not when I stress test the PC, The Intel cooler would go above 99C and keep going (I killed the test before it did))
- Chip
DS211 5.1-5004, 2x samsung HD204UI 2T, USB backup of DS
PC= Win7, I7-860 Trubo@3.5G, 8G, and 5T HD's installed
cread
Versed
Versed

Return to Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions