Moving files between internal and external USB disk?

If your question pertains to using an external HDDs or even the USB Copy feature, post it here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: for any compatibility issues, please contact from the Synology technical support team:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Moving files between internal and external USB disk?

Postby hitach » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:03 pm

I can move files and folders on the internal disk using Filezilla ftp which renames the locations of the files without actually moving the data.

1) How can I duplicate data on the disk without having to read it to a network computer location and write it back? Is there an FTP move/copy command I am missing?

2) How can I move data between the internal disk to the external disk?

3) Internal hibernation becomes inactive when USB drive attached.
I also notice issue reported here that the internal disk no longer hibernates after an external USB drive is connected. The WD My Book does hibernate nicely when connected to the DS106e USB port, but the internal disk just keeps on spinning. Hibernation was good before the USB disk was attached, even when network services are active and a USB printer (HP-1100c) is attached.

4) External USB Back-up or Share, not both.
I was disappointed not to be able to use the 500GB external disk as a backup for the internal disk at the same time as sharing the remaining space. Am I missing something here? I could attempt to extract the 500GB SATA drive and switch them, but the My Book is not user serviceable and the procedure is risky.

Thanks for any input.

DS-106e/428
Seagate 7200.8 300GB SATA drive
WD My Book Pro 500GB USB 2.0
hitach
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Snowpro » Wed May 16, 2007 10:18 am

Dear all,

Are there any news about the Web Based File Manager? As I saw in this forum this request is quite old.

Also, the hibbernating problem with attached eSata or USB drives is not solved.

I hope, synology will find solutions for these problems.
Snowpro
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Moving files between internal and external USB disk?

Postby Flickr » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:16 pm

hitach wrote:I can move files and folders on the internal disk using Filezilla ftp which renames the locations of the files without actually moving the data.

1) How can I duplicate data on the disk without having to read it to a network computer location and write it back? Is there an FTP move/copy command I am missing?

2) How can I move data between the internal disk to the external disk?

Thanks for any input.

Hi there,
I have also been thinking about the methodology behind this task. Unfortunately there is no easy answer; because the external disk is another physical device, you will not essentially be able to use the 'move' command. This is because all the move command does is edit the file allocation table to change the folder you see as the location of the data, however, this won't work as you have two separate physical areas to store the data (the internal disk and the external esata or usb).

You need to physically be moving the data down the e-sata cable, and currently this is not supported as far as I can tell. The only way to make the physical move of the data is to copy it via UNC paths, or FXP (which I have used and works rather nicely)

What is required is an interface on the web end to do this 'move' action from the local disk to the external device, this would obviously make the process a whole lot quicker.

Maybe you could make a feature request.

Regards

Matt
Flickr
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to External Harddrives & USB Flash Drives