DS509+ on 2 networks

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

DS509+ on 2 networks

Postby stilmark » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:15 am

I've been using the DS509+ for a while, but up till now it has only been connected on LAN1 to a router. Now I would like to use LAN2 to connect directly to another computer (this computer is not the router network), so I would essentially be creating 2 networks.

At first it seemed to work fine. I was able to connect to the DS from both networks, but I then noticed that the DS was no longer able to connect to the Internet via the router.

The issue might have been that both LANs were set to get an IP via DHCP, where only the router LAN was able to supply an IP. I guess the DS got confused about where to get the Internet connection after I plugged in LAN2.

First question: Is it at all possible to do what I intended?

Second question: What is the best way to set this up and/or how should I debug this?
stilmark
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS509+ on 2 networks

Postby dino » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:27 am

check your routing table (route command). When configuring two nics with different subnets, make sure that your default gateway is pointing to your internet modem/router. If your synology is connected with eth0 to the internet, the last line in your routing table should show this:

default x.x.x.x 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

x.x.x.x = ip of your modem/router
Dino
dino
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: DS509+ on 2 networks

Postby TomG » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 am

Or you could use static ip adresses on your nas. By doing so, you can decide whether or not to assign a default gateway (easiest). Or as suggested above, delete either one of the 2 default gateways (more difficult).

Just keep in mind that - if you don't supply a default gateway for either one of the 2 nics - you will not be able to connect to your nas through the respective router (for example, from the internet).
DS-107+ | DSM 3.1-1636 | 1x Western Digital WD20EARS
DS-1010+ | DSM 5.0-4458 | 5x Western Digital WD20EARS (RAID5 without hotspare)
TomG
Versed
Versed

Return to Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion