Installation of Squeezebox Center on DS-209j

Discussion room for the Media Server package by Logitech
Forum rules
Please note the Disclaimer before modifying your Synology Product.

Installation of Squeezebox Center on DS-209j

Postby Maxine » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:57 pm

Hi guys,

Do you know if Synology inc. has planed to release a package to install Squeezebox Server on the Ds-209j ?

I'm deperate... I couldn't find it on the "download center"! :|

Any ideas?

Many thanks for your help,

Maxine
Maxine
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Installation of Squeezebox Center on DS-209j

Postby Garmin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:08 pm

You really dont want that.
Sq on a 209j would be unusable slow ;-)

/G
Garmin
Sharp
Sharp

Postby Sakkerju » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:38 pm

Looking at the 2-bay start range:

DS210j 2-bay CPU Frequency: 800MHz Memory: 128MB
DS209 2-bay CPU Frequency: 1.2GHz Memory: 256MB
DS209j 2-bay CPU: 266MHz, 32bit@133 Memory: 64MB

I have Squeeze Server running on my (top) DS210j...it runs but memory and cpu is at limits from time to time.
Planned to swap my DS210j for a DS209...mainly for double memory and a bit more CPU power. Sqeeze Centre (and thus: you) likes that!

The DS209j does not show up on www.synology.com in the product list (?)
However the specs are available at http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DS209j/spec.php

A quick look made me conclude it has different architecture? Look like too little memory for Squeeze Server.
But not sure as different architecture is not comparable to the mentioned above.
Synology DS209+II - DSM 4.1 - WD Red 3TB (RAID1) *** Linksys WRT320N 1Gb *** Logitech Media Server 7.7.2
Squeezeboxes "Touch / Radio / Controller / Android App" *** WD TV Live Media Player *** UPC Horizon mediabox
Sakkerju
Sharp
Sharp

Postby Maxine » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:03 pm

@Garmin & Sakkerju:
Thanks for your answer much appreciated :D .
Does that mean that there will never be a release of the SqueezeCenter on the DS209j :( ?
I already have the DS209j and I just purchased a Logitech Duet...
Maxine
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Sakkerju » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:53 am

Maxine wrote:@Garmin & Sakkerju:
Thanks for your answer much appreciated :D .
Does that mean that there will never be a release of the SqueezeCenter on the DS209j :( ?
I already have the DS209j and I just purchased a Logitech Duet...

Maxine,

You might want to try the methology via SSODS. Since official Synology package version is somewhat 'behind', I installed the latest version this way. The minimal specs for memory issue will still be a concern however...

See viewtopic.php?f=131&t=22685
Synology DS209+II - DSM 4.1 - WD Red 3TB (RAID1) *** Linksys WRT320N 1Gb *** Logitech Media Server 7.7.2
Squeezeboxes "Touch / Radio / Controller / Android App" *** WD TV Live Media Player *** UPC Horizon mediabox
Sakkerju
Sharp
Sharp

Postby Maxine » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:57 pm

Sakkerju wrote:
Maxine,

You might want to try the methology via SSODS. Since official Synology package version is somewhat 'behind', I installed the latest version this way. The minimal specs for memory issue will still be a concern however...

See viewtopic.php?f=131&t=22685

Thanks Sakkerju,

Unfortunaltly I've got an error after the installation, when I tried to run the start SSODS (error on line 18 or something like that :roll: )
Thanks anyway for your answer. Next step is to sell my "old" DS-209j and save money for an another more powerful model...
I don't want to waste 3 hours to start a 2 minutes song. So sad... :cry:
Maxine
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Sakkerju » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:31 pm

Maxine wrote:Unfortunaltly I've got an error after the installation, when I tried to run the start SSODS (error on line 18 or something like that :roll: )
Thanks anyway for your answer. Next step is to sell my "old" DS-209j and save money for an another more powerful model...
I don't want to waste 3 hours to start a 2 minutes song. So sad... :cry:

Yep, that is the same 'lesson' I have learned with my 2 months old DS210j :(
It runs Squeeze Server, but that pretty much said. Using other applications like Download Station result in memory errors and unpredictable behaviour.

Fortunalty, I am able to pass through my DS210j to a friend and I am considdering a DS209 or even a DS209+II.
Sakkerju
Sharp
Sharp

Postby Maxine » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:14 am

To tell the truth about what I'm thinking, I find quite dishonest and unethical Synology's position about that case. In the specification of the DS-209j, you can still read "SqueezeCenter" under "Packages" section. :shock:

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DS209j/spec.php

It seems clearly a cause for complaint, what can Synology Inc. do for such case?
Maxine
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby menilman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:25 pm

Hi Maxine,
You have my sympathy, and you're right, it does seem dishonest.
I hope your complaint is heard by the right people, although I don't know what they'd do about it.....
I too have the ds210j, and so far (I just bought it 3 days ago!) Squeezebox Duet runs quickly enough for me.
But I haven't tried playing music while say, backing things up, transferring, etc...
Well, good luck with getting thins sorted out. :)
menilman
Trainee
Trainee

Return to Logitech Media Server