CS407e won't boot - flashing blue power led

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

CS407e won't boot - flashing blue power led

Postby mjg226 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:06 pm

This is a CS407e which I've had for some time with few problems ... currently has fw 5.10 installed. I had the unit unplugged for some time as I had a new UPS on order and was moving networking equipment to a different area of my house. The cube has three HDDs installed .. one as non-RAID and the remaining two in RAID 1.

Today I plugged everything back in and hit power - initially it sounded as if things were starting to turn inside (in a good way). The only action came from the power led which was blinking in blue. No HDD lights, nothing from the LAN or Status led and after 1 hour of watching, the power led is still blinking blue and the fan in back is turning -- that's it.

The router/internet is otherwise working well in my house. One thing that was a bit strange is that when I plugged the CS power cord back in to the unit and the wall, it started up on its own -- ie I didnt' have to hit the power button. Is that strange? As a last check while the power led was blinking, I launched Synology Asst but it wasn't able to find the server (no surprise really).

Are there any suggestions on what this may be or how I might be able to regain use of the server?

Thanks,
Mitch
mjg226
Beginner
Beginner

Re: CS407e won't boot - flashing blue power led

Postby Franklin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:05 am

Greetings mjg226

If the system is still performing the blinking LED, please connect a laptop or computer directly to the back of the Cube Station's Ethernet port. The other end of the cable should be connected to the computer.

Then wait upwards to five minutes, as this it the required amount of time for a Windows or Mac computer to detect a a network device in this fashion.

After waiting the five minutes, then use the latest version of the Synology Assistant to detect the Cube Station, please let us know the results of your efforts.
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby mjg226 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:13 am

Thanks Franklin. I upgraded Synology Assistant to version 2.0-0728 and hooked a PC directly to the CS407e. I waited more than five minutes just to be sure. Still just a blinking blue light the whole time. There remained no activity on the Status or LAN lights ... and the PC did not see anything connected to the ethernet port ("A Network Cable Is Unplugged").

What else can I try?

Thanks,
Mitch
mjg226
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Franklin » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:31 pm

Greetings mjg226

Something has happened during the move where

A) The system will no longer respond to the NIC
B) The system will no longer boot

Because of the two variables, it may be best for you to contact online support and have our support staff assist you; and/or prepare your system for shipping.

If you want to attempt to view your data, please refer to the following link and use method 3
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby mjg226 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:39 pm

Hi Franklin,

Thanks ... this problem was noticed before the system was physically moved. I did install a new gigabit NIC card in the primary PC though -- so just to check I will repeat the above procedure directly to a computer that has the older NIC card and has worked in the past.

If that still results in the blue flashing light, I will presume we are following course (B) and contact online support.

Thanks,
Mitch
mjg226
Beginner
Beginner

Postby lookatbowen » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:43 pm

Hi All,

I have the Black CS407 and just had a similar problem. I unplugged my cubestation a week ago before going on holiday. Today I plugged it back in, it fired up correctly, everything was great. I was able to copy all my holiday photos onto one of the volumes and then when I went to view them, my windows explorer locked up. I tried another volume and it did the same thing. (my heart almost stopped)... I tried switching off the cubestation at the power button. Nothing worked. It was as good as dead. I unplugged it from the back, and then plugged it back in and it fired up (noted it fired up without me pressing the power button). After 3 or 4 minutes nothing but a flashing blue button and the LAN activity light flashing. Tried the power button again - Nothing, I unplugged and left it for about 10 minutes (cursing Synology).

Plugged it back in again (noted again that it started straight away), after 5 to 7 minutes of nothing it just came alive and I got the long beeeeeep and voila my drives are all lit up, and I can access everything again, and my heart started to beat again, although somewhat faster than before, and I am almost expecting it to happen again (so I have quickly plugged in my USB Lacie drive and started coping photos from Synology to USB), which equals "pointless".

What is the cause of this problem?
Take a look at what the Bowens are up to.
-- Cubestation CS-407 | DSM 2.0-0731
-- Diskstation DS-106e | DSM 2.0-0728 | Hacked
lookatbowen
Beginner
Beginner

Postby HarryPotter » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:05 pm

noted it fired up without me pressing the power button

Just a note to this:

You must have enabled the option "Restart automatically after a power failure" on the "power" page of the WebUI, therefore your system starts automaticaly if you "kill" it by unpluging the psu and pluging it back.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS713+ / DSM 5.0-4458-1 / 2 x HD204UI (RAID0) / LMS 7.7.3-032
DS712+ / DSM 5.0-4458-1 / 2 x HDS721010KLA330 (RAID0)
DS110+ / DSM 5.0-4458-1 / HD154UI
DS408 / DSM 4.0 2228 / 2 x ST31000340AS (RAID0) + 1 x HDS721010KLA330
DS207+ / DSM 3.1.1637 / ST31000340AS + WD5000KS

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom
Rapsody N35

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby lookatbowen » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:52 pm

HarryPotter wrote:
You must have enabled the option "Restart automatically after a power failure" on the "power" page of the WebUI, therefore your system starts automaticaly if you "kill" it by unpluging the psu and pluging it back.

Ah! - Correct, having checked the Power Menu, I have indeed got "Restart automatically after a power failure" set to true.... Well spotted.

:o
lookatbowen
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Franklin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:53 pm

Greetings lookatbowen

I would suggest submitting your kernel logs to our support team for further analysis and support. Another suggestion is to make sure your system is running firmware 731.

Hope this helps
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby lookatbowen » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:14 pm

Thanks Franklin,

I will look into upgrading to the latest firmware.

I have noticed one of my disks are no longer working, (disk 2), which could have somehow caused the problem. Fortunately it's not volume 1, and I have had no problems since Synology sent me SATA cables to replace the ones I had.

Regards,

Mike
lookatbowen
Beginner
Beginner

Postby lookatbowen » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:49 pm

I have upgraded to the latest firmware (Version: DSM 2.0-0731; Build Date: 2009/01/13). Upgrade process was successful, and it timed down to about 200 seconds before resetting the cubestation, but all it did was restart and nothing more. The blue light flashed continually for ten or more minutes and the LAN light was on. Nothing else.

I unplugged the power cable and waited a minute before plugging it back in. The system sounded like it was firing up (I could hear a few drives booting up), but still nothing. Looking at it now, it's been about 5 minutes and all I have is a LAN light on green, and the blue light flashing.

This is similar to the problem I had before.... it was on the 2nd unplug that it came back to life. I am going to leave it now flashing, and hopefully it will come back.... :-(
lookatbowen
Beginner
Beginner

Postby lookatbowen » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:38 am

Below is taken from another post with a similar topic "CS407 doesnt reboot doesnt work", but as I started my posts in this forum, I've just copied your test request Franklin.

Franklin wrote:
Please perform the following test:

1. Make sure that system is off
2. Remove all cables/devices connected to the Cube Station
3. Disconnect the power cords to the HDDs (you can leave the HDD's mounted in the system for now)
4. Apply the power cord
5. Turn on the system
6. Wait for two minutes, and post the results of the Blue LED, does it become solid after two minutes

Thanks

Okay, I did step 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and the Blue LED became solid within a minute. So my initial thoughts are that the cubestation hardware is working correctly and that it's either a disk that is faulty or a SATA cable (can't rule that out, as I have had cable problems in the past, although if this is a cable problem I will be disappointed because it's been only a few months since the cables were replaced by Synology).

A. I then plugged the power cable in for HDD1 and restarted the cubestation. - <<It is working now>>. Checked the status and my HDD1 is Volume 1.
B. I used the Synology AJAX menu to force a shutdown and then plugged in the power cable for HDD2 and started the cubestation. <<it is working too>>. Checked the status and my HDD2 is Volume 3.
C. I used the Synology AJAX menu to force a shutdown and then plugged in the power cable for HDD3 and started the cubestation. <<it is working too>>. Checked the status and my HDD3 is Volume 2, (which was not working before as I mentioned in previous posts).
D. Finally I used the Synology AJAX menu to force a shutdown and plugged in the power cable for HDD4 and started the cubestation. <<ALL DISKS are WORKING>>. Checked the status and HDD4 is Volume 4.

Conclusion: I am puzzled.

What could be the problem?
1. Cables or
2. Hard Disks
lookatbowen
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Franklin » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:21 pm

Greetings lookatbowen

When the Blue LED blinks as you have described, it means usually

1. The OS has been damaged, and cannot proceed further
2. The system is performing a quota check on all volumes - the cause of a quota check is caused by performing an unsafe shutdown

Considering that all of your four individual volumes are working (the procedure you used cannot be applied to RAID systems if anyone else is reading), you may have affected your OS volume, where it's operating on one of four disks. One of the three remaining disks may have contained an error, which resulted in the failure to boot while all four disks are operating together.

This of course is speculation, for the best support, please contact online support for further assistance.

Hope this helps
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby lookatbowen » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:41 pm

Thanks Franklin for your advice...

I will log a call with support.

One thing though, and maybe you can help with an answer. I currently have 4 volumes and each of the disks are different sizes. Does this make a difference?
Should they all be the same size (e.g. 4x750GB or 4x500GB)?

Regards,

Mike
lookatbowen
Beginner
Beginner

Postby HarryPotter » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:46 pm

If you do not use any RAID systems, then the size of your HDD doesnt matter.

But on RAID system you should ALWAYS use the same size, even the same brand, model and version of the HDD!

on RAID 1 and RAID 5/6 it doesnt make sens at all to use different HDD size as the max. available space is calculated on the base of the smallest HDD. The difference to the biger one is just for nothing.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS713+ / DSM 5.0-4458-1 / 2 x HD204UI (RAID0) / LMS 7.7.3-032
DS712+ / DSM 5.0-4458-1 / 2 x HDS721010KLA330 (RAID0)
DS110+ / DSM 5.0-4458-1 / HD154UI
DS408 / DSM 4.0 2228 / 2 x ST31000340AS (RAID0) + 1 x HDS721010KLA330
DS207+ / DSM 3.1.1637 / ST31000340AS + WD5000KS

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom
Rapsody N35

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Return to Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion