I have bought a DiskStation to have large network storage, and to securely backup my data there. After setting up my NAS, DiskStation DS-411+II
, I was considering backup software. I was thinking of the well-known backup program Acronis True Image
, because it creates images of whole partitions as backups, as well as synchronizes files and folders to the NAS. Furthermore, the Synology website lists Acronis True Image as compatible backup software by verifying its older version.
However, the combination of Synology DSM 3.2
and Acronis True Image Home 2012
seems to not work seamlessly:
1. In True Image, the DiskStation doesn’t appear under ‘NAS connections’ when browsing the destination for backups;
2. I used to think, no big deal, because I have mapped Network Drives to various folders of the DiskStation, and can choose them as the destination for my backups. I was wrong! True Image asked for a password, and despite entering the correct credentials, still refused to connect to the DiskStation.
At first, I looked into the Acronis Knowledge Base
. There I found article 15080 applying to ‘All Acronis Backup software’
claiming succinctly that ‘This is a Synology DSM 3.0 issue’
. A solution would be ‘Please contact Synology support’
. In other words, Acronis claims it’s a pure Synology issue
, and sends users to Synology. You can find the skimpy article here:15080: Backups to Synology DSM 3.0 NAS Failhttp://kb.acronis.com/content/15080
Then I checked Synology Forum. The Acronis Backup software is very common, and the issue seems to be well-known. I found several posts describing the aforementioned issue, e.g. the recent post ‘DS211j not visible to Acronis TI 2012’
Unfortunately, all posts I found describe the issue, but no one provides a real solution for DSM 3.x and Acronis backup software.
What’s interesting: I tried Microsoft SyncToy 2.1
and it’s able to mirror my folders to destinations on the same mapped Network Drives. SyncToy 2.1 seems to work with my DiskStation as expected, but of course it doesn’t create hard drive partition images.Has anyone found a solution for Synology DSM 3.2 and Acronis True Image Home 2012?What backup software do you use, and could confidently recommend to me?
I wonder if Synology has issued an official statement, especially when Acronis claims that this is a Synology DMS 3.0 specific issue. If the companies cannot resolve it, I would expect Synology to remove the statement regarding the compatibility of DiskStation with Acronis True Image software. This would save hours of installing, configuring and troubleshooting, not to mention the financial costs of buying these products.
Thank you in advance for your advice and sharing your own experiences.
P.S.: My setup:
- Synology DiskStation DS-411+II (a 4 bays NAS);
- DMS 3.2 (currently the most recent version);
- Typical standalone PC with MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1;
- Trial version of Acronis True Image Home 2012.