Synology integration into a Multi Zone Audio Distribution?

Questions regarding using our product with a UPnP Digital Media Adaptor may be placed here

Synology integration into a Multi Zone Audio Distribution?

Postby restontechwiz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:56 pm

Id like to suggest a synology media server for a client of mine who has 500 GB of music and this amount of music wont sit on iTouch or iPods well. So I want to use the Synology to hold and stream all of the music.

My question is, how do I get multiple analog streams from the media server to plug into the distributed audio system?

I've done an install with a Synology server before where we went from USB on the synology to a Media Screamer that had a red and white output. This went into the audio system and boom, streaming media server to a distributed audio system.

So how do I stream more than one output to a distributed audio system (like Russound)...

Thanks,

Jeff
restontechwiz
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Synology integration into a Multi Zone Audio Distributio

Postby csimon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:23 pm

Do you mean multiple audio outputs all delivering the same stream or multiple independent outputs?

It also depends what technology you want to use to stream with. Would you want a streaming server like DLNA or would you just use the Synology as a network share to server files?

The Synology Remote is a USB DAC, and indeed I believe other USB DACs will work, and this will provide an analogue output for plugging into a distribution system. BUT there is only one output so you can't have multiple independent streams and I think the USB DAC is only available for use as a target from Synology's own Audio Station software.

Alternatively, you can do it via DLNA so that a DLNA renderer becomes the target for playing music from any DLNA controller. These will have analogue outputs to and you can have as many independent renderers on your network as you want. BUT DLNA technology the moment does not cater for synchronised playing across several renderers.

You could also use proprietary technology such as Squeezeboxes or Sonos.

Or do you wish to use a Synology NAS as a target to be controlled from your Russound system?
csimon
Versed
Versed

Postby restontechwiz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:56 pm

Independent streams would be best. The audio streamer from the USB on the back of the Synology works really well actually, but we need multiple outputs.

You think a Sonos or another DLNA device could steam independent feeds from the Synology server?

How could I use the Synology as a target for the Russound? That sounds quite interesting...
restontechwiz
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby csimon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:36 pm

You can only have one USB DAC connected to the Synology so there can only be one output via that method.

You can have as many DLNA clients/renderers, or players that connect to network shares on a file server, on your network as you want and the Synology will serve mutiple independent streams to them. There may be a limit depending on processor power etc. Each player will have its own red/white or optical output that you can feed into amplifiers or audio distribution systems. But DLNA devices require DLNA controllers, the actual method of browsing and picking files and sending them to a device.

SqueezeCentre is another built-in server in so if you have a Squeezebox system then you can use the Synology to serve files to that rather than using a PC.

Sonos can connect to UPnP servers but it only knows about Windows Media Player! So it won't be able to receive catalogued files from a Synology, except by using the Synology as a simple file server to hold the physical files.

I have no idea how Russound works or how it achieves connectivity!

Remember that a Synology NAS is simply a small computer and what it can do is store and share files and it also has built-in media servers, but it is limited in terms of being a media player and producing output itself, it can only send files and various streaming protocols (DLNA, Squeeze, network shares) to other devices
csimon
Versed
Versed

Postby csimon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Oh, I forgot. Synology can now also stream to Airply devices, that's another streaming protocol that it can do. See http://www.synology.com/dsm/airplay.php?lang=enu.
csimon
Versed
Versed

Postby restontechwiz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:06 am

csimon wrote:Oh, I forgot. Synology can now also stream to Airply devices, that's another streaming protocol that it can do. See http://www.synology.com/dsm/airplay.php?lang=enu.

Sounds like Airplay may be the way to go...Seems like more and more devices that are Airplay compatible...

Might wanna try Sonos with our next install to go totally digital...Russound is a stereo system that uses "old school" amps and regular stereo connections, not digital on the network like Synology and Sonos, etc...
restontechwiz
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Streaming Multimedia Server