- Ditto everybody else's experience - thumbnail generation is so slow that the device is unusable.
- Mine is a DS212j
- Latest DSM 3.2-1955
- I have about 50GB of photos to upload.
Having initially uploaded all my photos via rsync, then hit the performance issues with thumbnail generation, I started reading the threads here.
I have a couple of questions to clear up before I return the device as "unfit for purpose".
I'm hoping I've missed something. I don't really want to send it back but I can't keep it as it is.
1) I've tried uploading from Synology Assistant->Photo Uploader.
Is this supposed to generate the thumbnail on my PC, then upload the original and thumbnail togther?
That seems a reasonable approach but doesn't achieve any performance gain.
The synology assistant on my PC is using less than 1% CPU so not doing much of the grunt work.
I'm still only getting approx 1 thumbnail per minute.
2) Is there any change in the thumbnail generation in DSM 4.0?
I can't see anything mentioned on the Beta notes.
But surely this hasn't been ignored?
3) I just logged a support call re. the above.
The email response said "this will be looked at in 3 - 5 days".
Is that usual?
4) Why are so many people defending these devices with their woeful performance?
OK, so if you don't have to use them as media servers then they may be OK as a simple fileserver. But Synology have built and sold it as a media server. So it needs to provide that function to a reasonable standard. I don't consider the performance I am seeing as anywhere near reasonable.
5) Where are the Synology tech guys on this forum???? On most other companies' forums you get a techie chipping in with tips now and then. I've not seen that. And I can't believe they're not looking at this.
As I said, I hope I've missed something and there's a quick fix.
Many thanks for your help.