Cloud storage

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, Amazon S3, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Cloud storage

Postby cfuttrup » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Hi all.

When considering the massive storage on a NAS and the (potential) problems with backup I would have thought that the idea to backup your NAS to the cloud, like the available Amazon S3 solution, would have been noticed and discussed widely. (Available since DiskStation 2.3)

Is anybody exploring this and what is your impression about it? Does it work flawless / maybe without user intervention? Is this a safe solution to backup your NAS (hence all your critical data) to the cloud? What about data encryption?

Did anyone try to restore from a cloud backup (e.g. with new disks installed)? How long did it take and was it flawless?

All comments regarding cloud storage are welcome. Thanks.

/Claus

BTW, a blog link ... don't confuse your NAS as "being" the cloud ... I'm looking for a NAS backup solution that is continuously updated, always complete and outside the home (safe from theft and fire, etc.).
cfuttrup
Ace
Ace

Re: Cloud storage

Postby pakster » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:03 pm

We are running a weekly S3 backup. So far the Synology backup software havnt reported any problems, but until i have done a complete restore, i cant say for sure. I get a e-mail report when its done. The Backup starts friday evening, and ends late saturday. Even though theres often a maximum of 5gb new data.

The backup is a slow process, that doesnt utilize the 5mbit upload we have.
I really dont really trust this solutions, but i havnt found any other better ones.
My danish blog: http://www.duks.dk
pakster
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Cloud storage

Postby cfuttrup » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi Pakster.

Thanks for your feedback. Sorry to hear that Cloud backup is not that good yet.

/Claus
cfuttrup
Ace
Ace

Return to Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups