iSCSI LUN deletion

All questions regarding the Synology system as a iSCSI Target can go here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

iSCSI LUN deletion

Postby Matt NewBones » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi there,

Hopefully this will be simple to answer by someone in the know. I have created an iSCSI LUN on a 4 disk RAID 5 set. I have formatted the LUN to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I'm connecting to it using a Mac compatible iSCSI initiator and I'm really impressed with the performance.

As I didn't know how well this would work, if at all, I created it small.

I want to delete it and create another one. I don't want to expand the existing one.

So my questions are;

Does a LUN abide by the RAID 5 principal of being striped across the 4 disk RAID 5 disk set?
Does the RAID 5 parity apply to the LUN and if I lost a disk, would the LUN be built back up if I put in a replacement?
What happens to the disk space once the LUN is deleted i.e. what format will the space where it was be?
Will the "parent" (if thats the right term) volume absorb the free space back?

Thanks.
Matt NewBones
Trainee
Trainee

Re: iSCSI LUN deletion

Postby SkullOne » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:47 pm

Matt NewBones wrote:Does a LUN abide by the RAID 5 principal of being striped across the 4 disk RAID 5 disk set?
Yes.

Matt NewBones wrote:Does the RAID 5 parity apply to the LUN and if I lost a disk, would the LUN be built back up if I put in a replacement?
Yes.

Matt NewBones wrote:What happens to the disk space once the LUN is deleted i.e. what format will the space where it was be?
The space will become available to your Synology's volume.

Matt NewBones wrote:Will the "parent" (if thats the right term) volume absorb the free space back?
Yes.

To understand the iSCSI principle in relation with Synology you need to think of the LUN being represented by the Synology unit as a iSCSI volume, however from the Synology's perspective it's just a (big) file on it's (if configured that way) RAID 5 volume. ;)
SkullOne
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Matt NewBones » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks!
Matt NewBones
Trainee
Trainee

Postby clbgld » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:11 pm

I was trying to delete an iSCSI LUN and volume, but it looks like the entire volume on the 1010+ (setup as RAID5+spare) disappeared as well. iSCSI was setup as 300gb, file, thin provisioning.

Any ideas if I might be able to recover my original RAID5 volume, shares and files?

Thanks,

CG
DS1511+ DS1010+ Windows XP/7 32/64 OSX Ubuntu
clbgld
Beginner
Beginner

Return to iSCSI Target