data replicator does not find server upon restart/logout

Reference only! Archived older discussions about backup and restore of the DiskStation to any client.

data replicator does not find server upon restart/logout

Postby deus_lo_vult » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:04 pm

Upon logon to Windows the data replicator II gives me the following error message:

The designated server is not available. Please check the network connection between the server and your computer.

The server (DS106-extreme) has a fixed IP and is in the same subnet (and workgroup) as the clients (DHCP). Each client has each own account and folder, where the backup goes.

Although the clients also connect to other shares on the server with a different user name, disconnecting the shares before logout/restart has no effect. Restarting the server also doesn't change anything.

Interestingly for exactly one of the clients, the reconnect works, although the settings in data replicator and for the account on the server are the same.

This thing gets quite annoying, since I don't want the users to let their machines run all the time only because of this...
deus_lo_vult
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby drewy » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:45 pm

I am getting exactly the same problem.

Used to work on my desktop just fine and a couple of laptops.

Rebuilt the desktop, clean install of XP etc. instal DRII and now it won't find the diskstation.....I have to browse and find it manually at every boot!

This is seriously begining to p^&s me off :(
drewy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby drewy » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:08 pm

OK, I think I've fixed my issue.

Deleted my windows xp user account and created a new one, DRII now seems to work ok. Starts up at start up finds the DS101 and backs up.

Don't know exactly what caused the problem, I'll just blame MS :)
drewy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: data replicator does not find server upon restart/logout

Postby Franklin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:25 am

deus_lo_vult wrote:Upon logon to Windows the data replicator II gives me the following error message:

The designated server is not available. Please check the network connection between the server and your computer.

The server (DS106-extreme) has a fixed IP and is in the same subnet (and workgroup) as the clients (DHCP). Each client has each own account and folder, where the backup goes.

Although the clients also connect to other shares on the server with a different user name, disconnecting the shares before logout/restart has no effect. Restarting the server also doesn't change anything.

Interestingly for exactly one of the clients, the reconnect works, although the settings in data replicator and for the account on the server are the same.

This thing gets quite annoying, since I don't want the users to let their machines run all the time only because of this...

What Data Replicator are you using? DRII version Beta 072 is available, see if that solves your problem.

You have to sign up for the beta program, available here
http://www.synology.com/enu/support/beta/index.php
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby deus_lo_vult » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:41 pm

I now tried the beta on one client and there it works.

The question to me is how "beta" is this version? I have more ~20 clients to back up...

Franklin, do you know when there will be an official release?

I'll let the program now run for a few days and then see, whether it is stable.
deus_lo_vult
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby tommypeters » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:11 pm

Now, it seems... :)
tommypeters
Experienced
Experienced

Return to Backup/Restore (Archived)