Axis M1031 - Tip for PIR detection in Surveillance station

All questions/comments regarding the Surveillance Station using IP Cameras may be placed here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Axis M1031 - Tip for PIR detection in Surveillance station

Postby polux_fr » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 pm

I was really disappointed when I realised that firmware 2.3 only brings partial support of the axis m1031W in surveillance station : no support of the integrated PIR sensor and no support of the integrated led flash !

Actually, I discovered that using the axis 207W profile in surveillance station, it is possible to access to the alarm recording. And guess what ? alarm recording is triggered by the integrated PIR sensor ! The bad side of the axis 207W profile is that the support of h.264 is lost. But the PIR sensor brings really reliable intrusion detection.

Please Synology, it is so easy to add the PIR sensor support for the m1031W webcam, add it in next minor firmware update.

PS : Even better, just declare the M1031W as a P1311 webcam, and you get PIR detection through alarm recording, in h.264 or mpeg4. I am just lacking the led flash control within surveillance station.
polux_fr
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Axis M1031 - Tip for PIR detection in Surveillance station

Postby MacGyver » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am

Yes this is a well known bug that has been reported many times, but Synology failed to do anything about it so far :(
The known trick was to use the 207 profile up to DSM2.2 without loss of functionality like you discovered yourself, but now with H264 support in DSM2.3 the problem is even more important.
Thanks for the tip about the P1311, I will try it when I decide to upgrade to 2.3, but so far there is to many issues with Surveillnace Station to risk it.
MacGyver
Student
Student

Re: Axis M1031 - Tip for PIR detection in Surveillance station

Postby cfuttrup » Sun May 16, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi polux_fr

Your tip on using P1311 profile is highly appreciated. I am running DSM2.3 and will report my findings... but I trust you're right :)

EDIT: It runs OK.

P.S. Still having problems with audio. I wonder if the camera is bad - or if it is simply overworked when I try to push 640 x 480, 30 fps and audio (G711).

/Claus
cfuttrup
Distinguished
Distinguished

Re: Axis M1031 - Tip for PIR detection in Surveillance stati

Postby morpheus » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi there,

I have an AXIS M1054, and I would also like to trigger recording based on alarm (I/O at rear at the camera, audio, ...)
I understand this is available using the M1031 profile, but I can't even not in Surveillance station to find these "alarm" parameters for trigger ...

Can someone help here ?

Thank you !
morpheus
Experienced
Experienced

Postby MacGyver » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:07 pm

morpheus wrote:Hi there,

I have an AXIS M1054, and I would also like to trigger recording based on alarm (I/O at rear at the camera, audio, ...)
I understand this is available using the M1031 profile, but I can't even not in Surveillance station to find these "alarm" parameters for trigger ...

Can someone help here ?

Thank you !

I don't know what kind of alarm triggers the 1054 embeds in the stream, but if it is like the other Axis cam's, any alarm should put a tag in the stream and then should be detected by Surveilance Station.
You then have to check "Alarm recording" or "Motion Detection and Alarm Recording" in the sheduler.
Notice that like I said earlier, the M1031 profile is useless because it doesn't support alarm recording due to a bug in the profile, so you have to use an equivalent profile that does have alarm recoding enabled.
Now, I don't know if the M1054 profile exists in the latest versions of DSM (I'm still on 2.2 because it's rock solid unlike the more recent versions), but if it does, you may try it it and see if they did it correctly this time.
MacGyver
Student
Student

Postby morpheus » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:39 pm

On the axis, there is an "event server" as well as an "event type" you can define :

... but I'm pretty sure it is not here I need to enable the "alarm trigger" (I/O, noise detection, temperature, ...)
Do you know where in the cam I need to enable those alarm triggers to be recognized by Surveillance station ?

And is there documented somewhere the supported Axis M1054 alarm triggers ?

Many Thanks !
morpheus
Experienced
Experienced

Postby MacGyver » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:19 pm

Most triggers are activated by default and will inserts the "alarm" tags in the video stream that SS will recognise as alarm.
If recording on alarm is selected in the SS shedule of this cam, then any possible alarm source in the cam should trigger a recording in SS, but you won't be able to tell which kind of alram source did trigger a particular recording.

Now, this is based on my findings with my M1031cams, but I don't remember if the VAPIX API inserts specific tags for each kind of alarm or if there is only one general alarm tag.
If it is differentiated by kind of alarm, then Surveillance Station has to implement them specifically or react on any value of the tag, but this is not documented by Syno obviously. (I think SS is an application they license from a third party as it is exactly the same one you find on competing NAS products)
I should dig again in the VAPIX doc to find out how it's done again because I did a few years ago and since forgot...

So it may be possible that SS only reacts on only one or a subset of the possible alarm types but I would need a M1054 to test and although I've been tempted, I'm happy with the six M1011 and 1031 I have now, so don't see the point to bother with the higher necessary bandwith, 16/9 aspect ratio etc.
The only thing I was attracted for is the wider angle of view, but i'm afraid I would loose this advantage if I set it for 4/3 and 640*480 resolution to match the other cams anyway.
MacGyver
Student
Student

Postby morpheus » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:27 pm

ok ... coming back to the issue here as I still have no records in Surveillance station based on alarms, I have, on the camera, succeeded to "trigger on audio", and "acticate light", and I see effectively the light blinking .. so the "event type is working fine.

But I'm not sure it is the event type I need to "use", or an option to activate somewhere, in order to have the alrm being sent to the synology (although i understand the simple fact of activating the alarms is sufficent).

Anyhow, I do not have any recording in Surveillance station .... so alarm is not triggering here .
What should I be checking ... are there some logs somewhere ?

many thaks for your support !
morpheus
Experienced
Experienced

Postby MacGyver » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:54 pm

Ok, Morpheus, I dug into the VAPIX API again briefly.
Could you try this: http://myserver/axis-cgi/param.cgi?acti ... nabled=yes

Replace the "myserver" with your cam IP adress of course.

This should assure that tags are inserted for all kind of alarms.
Reboot the cam and see if you get something in SS.
You should at least get alarms from the PIR as it works for me with the 1031's, but the most valid test would be to short and open the pins on the input of the I/O block as this is the kind of alarm the SS has been designed to react on initialy and it has been working for the 207's for instance.
MacGyver
Student
Student

Postby morpheus » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi Macguyver, and thank you for the tip ...

Before chaning this parameter in the cam, I'd like to check the current parameters. Can I do that ?
I just do not want to change something being "blind".

Thanks for your support !!
morpheus
Experienced
Experienced

Postby morpheus » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:31 pm

ok ... I have launched the magic command, and got this error message :
# Error: Error setting 'root.Image.I0.TriggerData.VideoLossEnabled' to 'yes'!

I have restarted the camera ... but still nothing recorded on the synology ...
Now, I have found in the VAPIX that the "TriggerDataEnabled" default value was set to "no" ... which looks for me like there is no trigger enabled at all ...
I'd like to check this parameter on the camera itself, but can't find it for the moment.

Any help here would be highly appreciated !

Many thanks
morpheus
Experienced
Experienced

Postby MacGyver » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:14 pm

Ok, this error is not a problem.
That just mean that video loss is not supported on the m1054.
I just ticked all known triggers from the API, but not all camera models are alike.
I'm not sure the other commands are accepted if there is an error, so I suggest to remove the offending command just between the ampersands (&) and retry to be sure.
You should get a page back with a simple ok.

Now if it still doesn't work either, I don't know what's going on.
It may be that they screwed things up in the late versions.

You know what?, I have a friend with a 110 he bought a few month ago and still not installed.
Actually I understood he's waiting for me to configure it for him but never dared to ask me to do it, so it is lying there. So I'll ask him to borrow it to upgrade it to DSM 3.1, test it a bit and then install it for him. That way he won't have to ask me :wink:
That way I would be able to see if the latest version of SS is working, at least with my 1031.
MacGyver
Student
Student

Postby morpheus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:48 am

Macguyver, many thanks for this ...
I have re-launched the command by removing the "faulty" parameter, and now gets an "ok".

I'd like to check now this "TriggerDataEnabled" parameter which seemed to be set to "no" by default, as per the doculentation, and I have found it in the caera settings, under the "image" section, and it effectively seems to be disabled :

I now need to check with axis if this is the correct parameter being responsible for sending "alar triggers" ... and if yes, set it to "yes" to see what happens
morpheus
Experienced
Experienced

Postby morpheus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:03 am

ok ... have set it to yes; but still nothing recorded in Surveillance station :-(
I do not know what to do anymore, now ...
morpheus
Experienced
Experienced

Postby morpheus » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:51 pm

ok ... I have good news tonight, but still some questions ...
I assumed so far that the following items in my M1054 camera were triggers for alarm recording in Surveillance station :

[Image.I0.TriggerData]
IOEnabled = "yes"
AudioEnabled = "yes"
TamperingEnabled = "yes"
MotionDetectionEnabled = "yes"
MotionLevelEnabled = "yes"

and so far, I never succeeded to have any alarm recording in surveillance station.
But tonight, I found a way to manually change the state of the input at the rear of my camera, by changing the "Normal State" into this menu on the camera :

Whenever the "Normal state" differs from the "Current State" for the "Input 1", I now get an alarm recording on the synology using the correct "Axis M1054" profile.
What still doesn't seem to work is the "audio" and "Tampering".
PIR sensor doesn't give any option into "triggerdata", so to me, for the moment, PIR is not an option which can trigger an alarm.
"Motion" is I think related to the "Motion Detection" which Surveillance station is supporting, so something different than "Alarm recording"

... So I now need to find out what alarms fro, the 1054 synology supports, as this is nowhere described ... audio ? Tampering ? ...
morpheus
Experienced
Experienced

Next

Return to Surveillance Station