Can I reuse a disk that was previously used by the NAS?

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Can I reuse a disk that was previously used by the NAS?

Postby Captain Chaos » Mon May 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find any information about it. I have a DS409+ with four 2TB hard drives. One of them has "crashed" according to the NAS. I have a spare drive ready, but it is one that has previously been in the same NAS (and also "crashed"). I checked it fully with Spinrite and it seems fine, so I want to reuse it, but I'm curious whether the fact that it was previously part of the same array (in a different slot) will confuse the NAS.

Should I wipe the disk first? Or is the software clever enough to recognise the situation and reinitialise the disk?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give!

Cheers,
Pepijn
Captain Chaos
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Can I reuse a disk that was previously used by the NAS?

Postby maxxfi » Mon May 06, 2013 3:36 pm

There is no real need to wipe the disk as at most DSM would show some warning and require some extra confirmation before being able to sync the disk, but IMHO if you can even just blank the partition table before plugging the disk it could only help the initialization phase to consider the disk 'as new'.
DS-411 (DSM 4.3-3827u5) w/ 2x WD20EFRX + 1x WD10EFRX
DS-106j (DSM 3.0-1357), PATA-to-SATA adapter, 2.5" HM250HI
maxxfi
Programmer
Programmer

Re: Can I reuse a disk that was previously used by the NAS?

Postby knobbydave » Mon May 06, 2013 4:52 pm

Hi maxxfi is correct

I believe Spinrite is a windows program, So connect your disk back up again and delete any partition info
(it doesn't matter that you can't read it)
That will give you a 'smoother ride' when you install the drive in your nas
The river keeps on flowing but the banks are ever changing
knobbydave
Experienced
Experienced

Return to Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion