Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Re: Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby gadgetman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:42 pm

Hello everyone,

yes i have the same problem 1812+ it is set on a power on/off schedule. twice i have had the flashing blue light, so i am convinced it is a software problem. When it is on no problem we will have to wait for a fix 100% sure not hardware issue.
gadgetman
Trainee
Trainee
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:33 pm

Re: Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby jaredhanks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:01 pm

I have the same issue on my DS1512+. Had it for 3 days working fine running on 3 disks. Transferred a bunch of data to it. Rebooted it a few times to see if I had the same issue, but it started up each time so I thought I was good. Added 2 more disks and let the volume expand (took probably about 30 hours to do). Tried to access it after being gone for 24 hours and the unit was on, but unresponsive. Rebooted it and BBOD. I tried leaving it on overnight to see if it would eventually fire up, but no dice. I've since left it off for a few hours and tried turning it back on, but still nothing. It's been off for about 16 hours now. Might try and fire it up tonight to see if I get any thing.

Anyone been able to get it started after the BBOD? Steps to get it at least started back up?

I submitted a ticket on Saturday night regarding my issue. I know they don't work weekends (still baffled as to why they don't), so what's the response been like from tech support?

I'm extremely disappointed by the lack of communication from Synology. Everything I've found out is from users in this forum and Amazon reviews. Synology replying to a few tweets makes me even more frustrated. They know there is an issue, but won't actually send anything out about it. They should be getting in front of this issue and contacting everyone that bought the units about what's going on (can't be that many can there?). Things go wrong all the time in technology, but it's how a company reacts that defines how great they are. Synology is becoming pretty pathetic in my eyes.
jaredhanks
Trainee
Trainee
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Re: Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby ericdano » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:13 pm

jaredhanks wrote:It's been off for about 16 hours now. Might try and fire it up tonight to see if I get any thing.

Anyone been able to get it started after the BBOD? Steps to get it at least started back up?


I had mine off for about 16+ hours (I'm think 24, but I didn't time it) and then plugged it back in WITHOUT any drives to do a self test (it flashes blue, then beeps and turns on the LAN light I think). Then powered it off with it power button (holding it I think), put the disks back in (in order) and started it and it was good.

I submitted a ticket on Saturday night regarding my issue. I know they don't work weekends (still baffled as to why they don't), so what's the response been like from tech support?


Slow.....on the phone when I originally called about the problem, they seemed not to even want to deal with it, saying that I should return it as it was a bad motherboard. Now, they seem to have changed their tune. Who knows what is really going on.

I'm extremely disappointed by the lack of communication from Synology. Everything I've found out is from users in this forum and Amazon reviews. Synology replying to a few tweets makes me even more frustrated. They know there is an issue, but won't actually send anything out about it. They should be getting in front of this issue and contacting everyone that bought the units about what's going on (can't be that many can there?). Things go wrong all the time in technology, but it's how a company reacts that defines how great they are. Synology is becoming pretty pathetic in my eyes.


Could not agree more. Seems everyone is getting slow email support. Unless you want to call them (Washington State number, not toll free). And even then they were not helpful (just said to return it).

So, I dunno. I'm supposedly getting an RMA unit today that has been tested, so we will see. I want to like the unit. I mean, when it is running it is great. Awesome software. Expandable, nice design.

But if it is suddenly going to die, and then getting support for it is going to be like this?
ericdano
Sharp
Sharp
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:04 am

Re: Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby cpluse2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:09 pm

The most direct competitor to the Synology DS1512+ is the QNAP TS-569 Pro. The Synology is a slightly better deal but it is close: better performance, better expandability, a bit more "appliance-like", a slicker GUI/OS, and slightly cheaper. The only "spec sheet" item the QNAP has that is interesting is SATA 6 Gb/s, but Synology made a conscious choice to stick with the native SATA 3 Gb/s in the Intel NM10 Express chipset for Atom (used by both Synology and QNAP because they both use the same Atom CPU) rather than take the performance hit of going through PCI to add-on a SATA 6 Gb/s controller. Ultimately, the Synology sticking with the native Atom SATA should be faster, and has been with prior products. I'm sure there will be comparative benchmarks soon and we'll know for sure.

The first Synology DS1512+ production run seems to have BBOD issues. I'm hoping they fix it. And I'm still irritated they haven't explained what's happening yet.[/quote]


I was looking at Qnap before I purchased my 1512+. I decided against a Qnap once I found out about a file bug in their systems that causes slow performance.

There is a 24 page thread on their forums about it, seems that this problem has been around since 2008.
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?p=259148[/quote]

I was reading all I could last night. Boom! Now I just stuck in the middle. I guess it be safer to get the 1511+. But I want the speed boost in the 1512+. If its a software issue. Why are some having the issue with older DS versions? Are there any new chips one these board compared tot he 1511, that might caused the issue? Ya I agree a Tweet is not enough! These are not cheap devices and I think if this goes on any longer , we might have to get Gizmodo involved to reach a broader audience to show Synology this is not some minor issue.
iMac
DS1512+ 3x3TB SHR(1)
cpluse2
Beginner
Beginner
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:59 am

Re: Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby ericdano » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:16 pm

cpluse2 wrote:I was reading all I could last night. Boom! Now I just stuck in the middle. I guess it be safer to get the 1511+. But I want the speed boost in the 1512+. If its a software issue. Why are some having the issue with older DS versions? Are there any new chips one these board compared tot he 1511, that might caused the issue? Ya I agree a Tweet is not enough! These are not cheap devices and I think if this goes on any longer , we might have to get Gizmodo involved to reach a broader audience to show Synology this is not some minor issue.


New chips and stuff.

Actually, I'm surprised Gizmodo hasn't taken notice. But that would be real reporting so.......they won't touch it.
ericdano
Sharp
Sharp
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:04 am

Re: Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby willslab » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:42 pm

1812+ user here, same problem with BBOD, reporting my own experience.

I used the system for about 10 days without any issues before a planned restart (triggered via UI) caused the BBOD to appear. I have not been able to get the unit back online, having tried everything mentioned in this thread.

I called Synology first. There were no annoying prompts to go through and it was only a minute of waiting and listening to some jazz. The support tech was pleasant and as helpful as he could be considering the circumstances. I described the issue, and let him know I tried everything suggested on this thread. He said I could return the device to the retailer or I could request an RMA direct through Synology. I opted for the latter as Amazon has no stock, so he said to open a support ticket via the website to begin that process.

I pressed him for more information regarding the issue. He acknowledged it is a known problem and that they are working on a software patch. He also explained that for units like these that don't boot at all, the RMA will be necessary so they can apply the patch. This response may answer some of the concerns people have raised on how you patch a system that won't boot. I was wondering that myself.

While I am also displeased with the lack of communication in general, I will wait to see how this plays out. The 1512/1812 series and DSM 4.0 are very nice while they're working. Best of luck to everyone in getting their own units online.
willslab
I'm New!
I'm New!
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Re: Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby dnald » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:05 pm

ericdano wrote:
dnald wrote:Gave my 1512+ another try. I bit the bullet and just wiped my drives and reinstalled DSM4. I was even able to restart it a few times during the first 2 days. I then ran it straight for 4 days transferring about 600GB via local LAN and web. I figured before making the big data move I would do another restart. Lo and behold.....BBOD.

Oh and here's the kicker, they won't RMA my unit because they think my problem is not due to hardware.

It would be interesting to see how many people out there have 1512+'s that have been running smoothly without these issues. I'm sure there are...and if that's the case I won't waste time with mine anymore.

I love DSM4 but I'm willing to go QNAP if this nonsense continues.


Whoa....so they won't fix a product? Did they indicate when this problem was going to be fixed software wise?



They did not indicate when it would be fixed. They however told me not to restart my unit until the BBOD issue was fixed by their engineers.

The reason I was wondering if there were people who had un-flawed units is to probe into the idea that we just happened to buy the batch that had bad RAM or some other component that could vary between builds.
dnald
Trainee
Trainee
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Re: Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby ericdano » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:24 pm

dnald wrote:They did not indicate when it would be fixed. They however told me not to restart my unit until the BBOD issue was fixed by their engineers.

The reason I was wondering if there were people who had un-flawed units is to probe into the idea that we just happened to buy the batch that had bad RAM or some other component that could vary between builds.


So basically you have a boat anchor that you can't use until they fix it which no one knows when that will be?

Well, if it is a software problem, as indicated in a previous post, and they won't RMA a product because of that......what the hell? So basically you bought a unit for them to fix at some date in the future? That doesn't seem right at all.

Seriously, this needs to be picked up on by Gizmodo or something. I'm sorry, but having someone in limbo like that? And they want to be taken seriously as a company? So you just spent a lot of money for nothing. Great.....

This just keeps getting better and better. And still NO OFFICIAL STATEMENT ON THIS.
ericdano
Sharp
Sharp
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:04 am

Re: Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby dnald » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:19 pm

ericdano wrote:
dnald wrote:They did not indicate when it would be fixed. They however told me not to restart my unit until the BBOD issue was fixed by their engineers.

The reason I was wondering if there were people who had un-flawed units is to probe into the idea that we just happened to buy the batch that had bad RAM or some other component that could vary between builds.


So basically you have a boat anchor that you can't use until they fix it which no one knows when that will be?

Well, if it is a software problem, as indicated in a previous post, and they won't RMA a product because of that......what the hell? So basically you bought a unit for them to fix at some date in the future? That doesn't seem right at all.

Seriously, this needs to be picked up on by Gizmodo or something. I'm sorry, but having someone in limbo like that? And they want to be taken seriously as a company? So you just spent a lot of money for nothing. Great.....

This just keeps getting better and better. And still NO OFFICIAL STATEMENT ON THIS.


Haha, thanks for clarifying because that's pretty much what I have, a boat anchor.

I sent them an email requesting an RMA for the second time now that this is my third BBOD. I also left them a note about this thread which is becoming rather "heated".
dnald
Trainee
Trainee
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Re: Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby ericdano » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:12 pm

dnald wrote:Haha, thanks for clarifying because that's pretty much what I have, a boat anchor.

I sent them an email requesting an RMA for the second time now that this is my third BBOD. I also left them a note about this thread which is becoming rather "heated".


Well, on the plus side, I did get my replacement unit today. Took out the disks, put them in the new unit (in order), and it works fine. I'm going to set the power scheduling thing and see how it does (have it turn off at 11pm and back on at 8:45am).

So, that is good. Simple replacement and it works.

Heated? Well, I think most of us here on the forum are smart enough to understand something is up with the units, and it is very frustrating not to hear anything from Synology. I think we all did enough research before purchasing these units to feel very disappointed so far.
ericdano
Sharp
Sharp
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:04 am

Re: Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby mick01 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks guys for the above posts and keeping everyone reading these posts upto date with the BBOD . I am now delaying my purchase until the above problem is resolved. Was looking at buying one next week , thanks for saving me from a massive headache.
mick01
I'm New!
I'm New!
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby jaredhanks » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:30 am

I got a response from tech support. They want me to try this (in case any one wants to try the same thing):

Thank you for contacting Synology Support.

In regards to your comments about when to expect a response. Our support hours are Monday through Friday, 9AM to 5PM Pacific time, our phone hours end an hour earlier at 4PM. We provide responses within a business day (weekend tickets will be answered Monday or early Tuesday).

I would like you to perform the following test:

Conducting the Power LED Test

1) Statically discharge yourself
2) Remove all peripherals connected to the Synology device (USB, eSATA, Ethernet)
3) Remove the power cord to the Synology device
4) Remove the Cover to the Synology device
5) Remove the HDD from the Synology system
6) Connect the power cord to the Synology System
7) Power up the Synology system and wait two minutes.
8 ) What is the status of the power LED? Blinking or Solid?

If at step 8 the power LED is flashing, I would like you to try the following:

1) Power off the DS1512+.

2) Reinsert your disks in their original order.

3) After two minutes of the power LED flashing, hold the power button for ten seconds until the system powers off.

4) Attempt to start the system normally (press the power button after it has shut off)

5) Please let me know what your results are.


If at step 8 the power LED goes solid, you are more likely experiencing an issue with one of your hard disks. I would like to know how your volume(s) are configured, what type of RAID they are.


UPDATE: tried the above steps and still have BBOD. Hope they RMA or find a fix soon. Maybe now that the weekend is over someone might actually work on finding a fix for the issue.
jaredhanks
Trainee
Trainee
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Re: Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby dnald » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:09 am

jaredhanks wrote:I got a response from tech support. They want me to try this (in case any one wants to try the same thing):

Thank you for contacting Synology Support.

In regards to your comments about when to expect a response. Our support hours are Monday through Friday, 9AM to 5PM Pacific time, our phone hours end an hour earlier at 4PM. We provide responses within a business day (weekend tickets will be answered Monday or early Tuesday).

I would like you to perform the following test:

Conducting the Power LED Test

1) Statically discharge yourself
2) Remove all peripherals connected to the Synology device (USB, eSATA, Ethernet)
3) Remove the power cord to the Synology device
4) Remove the Cover to the Synology device
5) Remove the HDD from the Synology system
6) Connect the power cord to the Synology System
7) Power up the Synology system and wait two minutes.
8 ) What is the status of the power LED? Blinking or Solid?

If at step 8 the power LED is flashing, I would like you to try the following:

1) Power off the DS1512+.

2) Reinsert your disks in their original order.

3) After two minutes of the power LED flashing, hold the power button for ten seconds until the system powers off.

4) Attempt to start the system normally (press the power button after it has shut off)

5) Please let me know what your results are.


If at step 8 the power LED goes solid, you are more likely experiencing an issue with one of your hard disks. I would like to know how your volume(s) are configured, what type of RAID they are.


I'm going to try this later tonight. I'll post what my results are.


Thanks for posting this.

Remove the cover?? Obviously this support consultant doesn't care which model you are using.

Either way, I did this today, for the second time. The first time I did this about two weeks ago it did, in fact, boot up to a solid blue LED but still wouldn't do that with my 3 originally installed drives. So they told me to attain another drive to install DSM. I did. Then they somehow managed to login remotely and destroy one of the 3 original RAIDed drives when trying to recover/remount it. It basically went from normal SMART test that I managed to run before they logged in to "too many errors to continue SMART scan" (I didn't even touch or modify to the box's contents between those times). The RMA of that drive arrived today.

Today when I rebooted without drives the box just gave me the BBOD without any beeping or any other LED's on. Oh, and I used an anti-static wristband even though I didnt "remove the cover".

Jaredhanks, just remember that my 1512+ booted fine without drives two weeks ago and now it is not doing that which likely indicates some problem on the motherboard.

At this point, Synology should pay me by the hour as a 'proxy' support technician. But I suspect given their recent reputation in poor support that I'll instead get the symbolic 'finger' and be told to return it from where it came, which I may just do to wipe my hands clean and move on. Sigh, I like their software so much that I think I'll wait another few days...dammit.

In the mean time, I'm gonna start a bet that this is due to a RAM problem. The last time I had issues with a PC build that changed form everytime I rebooted and I couldn't explain it logically, it was the RAM.
dnald
Trainee
Trainee
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Re: Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby vinceg » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:10 am

jaredhanks wrote:I got a response from tech support. They want me to try this (in case any one wants to try the same thing):

Thank you for contacting Synology Support.

In regards to your comments about when to expect a response. Our support hours are Monday through Friday, 9AM to 5PM Pacific time, our phone hours end an hour earlier at 4PM. We provide responses within a business day (weekend tickets will be answered Monday or early Tuesday).

I would like you to perform the following test:

Conducting the Power LED Test

1) Statically discharge yourself
2) Remove all peripherals connected to the Synology device (USB, eSATA, Ethernet)
3) Remove the power cord to the Synology device
4) Remove the Cover to the Synology device
5) Remove the HDD from the Synology system
6) Connect the power cord to the Synology System
7) Power up the Synology system and wait two minutes.
8 ) What is the status of the power LED? Blinking or Solid?

If at step 8 the power LED is flashing, I would like you to try the following:

1) Power off the DS1512+.

2) Reinsert your disks in their original order.

3) After two minutes of the power LED flashing, hold the power button for ten seconds until the system powers off.

4) Attempt to start the system normally (press the power button after it has shut off)

5) Please let me know what your results are.


If at step 8 the power LED goes solid, you are more likely experiencing an issue with one of your hard disks. I would like to know how your volume(s) are configured, what type of RAID they are.


UPDATE: tried the above steps and still have BBOD. Hope they RMA or find a fix soon. Maybe now that the weekend is over someone might actually work on finding a fix for the issue.


FYI -- I have a 2 week old 1812+ and just experienced the same problem. I had shut the unit down overnight and just tried to reboot upon coming home from work. BBOD. After poring over these 14 pages of notes, I tried the above sequence as suggested by Synology. Shut it down, pulled the disks out, reboot. Look at the blinking blue light, shutdown, put in disks, reboot, see the blinking lights again, shutdown, reboot.

It's up now and my files are online. Note -- the double boot after putting the disks back in is key. The first one doesn't do it. Really makes it sound like a software problem, no? I assume I will have this problem again so I won't shut it down. I guess I'll file a report with Synology customer service and stay close to this thread until we learn what the long term fix is.

I hope they sort this out soon -- I really do love Synology products and their support has been good to me (I suppose the fact that I have an opinion about Synology support is probably a bad thing with respect to product quality, but...). Hope it's a firmware/software thing. I hate shipping stuff around.

Thanks, jaredhanks, for posting this.

Vince
vinceg
I'm New!
I'm New!
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Re: Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby vinceg » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:14 am

Oh yeah -- forgot to mention -- I didn't follow the one step from Synology that said to take the cover off. That just seemed silly. Noticed that in dnald's response.

Guess I should also mention that I'm running seven 3 TB (Hitachi 3228) drives. Now that I'm successfully rebooted, they're all back and running fine.

Vince
vinceg
I'm New!
I'm New!
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests