and apologies right away: I'm sure this will easily qualify as dumbest post of the year, or something.
I just purchased a CS 407 and 4 Samsung HD501LJ 500GB disks, and am trying to set it up.
MacBook Pro with OS X 10.4.10
Firewall is off
IP address is set manually to 192.168.100.xxx
Connecting through WLAN to a Netgear ADSL modem/router
The CS407 is connected to the Netgear router using Ethernet
The router is acting as DHCP server for a range of IP numbers.
There is no MAC access control list active
The CS 407's MAC address does appear in the router's web interface as attached device (using the first available DHCP IP address).
No matter what I try, DSAssistant quits immediately after opening, saying that "Setup Wizard did not find any network (...)".
What I've tried so far:
- connecting CS407 to the router with the included ethernet cable
- connecting CS407 to the router with a crossover ethernet cable
- connecting CS407 directly to my MacBook using included ethernet cable
- connecting CS407 to my MacBook using crossover Ethernet cable
- turning FireWall on and off on my MacBook
- setting the Ethernet port to use DHCP
- connecting to the CS407 in Windows XP running in VMWare
Now I'm somewhat stumped.
What sort of network does the Setup Wizard expect? Where am I completely failing to see the obvious?
TIA for any help and/or insights.