DS210J and WD20EARS Problems

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

DS210J and WD20EARS Problems

Postby tomba60 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi guys first time post. Just received a new DS210J tonight along with two new WD20EARS 2TB drives and cannot get the thing to boot with both drives installed (Blue light constantly flashes).

I have however been able to boot the NAS as long as I install one drive at a time. I've even tried upgrading the firmware to 2.3-1157 on both but still no joy. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
tomba60
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS210J and WD20EARS Problems

Postby maxxfi » Wed May 05, 2010 4:19 pm

What configuration do you want to create?
If it's a RAID1 or anyway a mirror, why don't you try first to
boot with one drive, configure everything and then add the second disk?
DS-411 (DSM 4.3-3827u5) w/ 2x WD20EFRX + 1x WD10EFRX
DS-106j (DSM 3.0-1357), PATA-to-SATA adapter, 2.5" HM250HI
maxxfi
Programmer
Programmer

Postby tomba60 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi Maxxfi, I do want to create a mirror in the end. I will follow your suggestion when I get home from work tonight but I'm concerned there may be a problem with the 2nd slot on the DS210J becuase the Quick Installation Guide clearly references installing the 2nd drive and then powering up the unit which I'm not able to do.
Let you know how I go, fingers crossed....
tomba60
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby maxxfi » Thu May 06, 2010 6:58 am

Just to make it clear, I hope you did not understand that I was suggesting to attach the 2nd drive with the NAS running.
If you got it that way, NO! Add the disks always when when NAS is powered down (even better, power supply removed)
maxxfi
Programmer
Programmer

Postby tomba60 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:04 pm

Hi Maxxfi, I wouldnt have connected the 2nd drive with NAS powered on if you had asked me too :-)
I only have a few hours experience with the product so forgive me if I have misunderstood your earlier suggestion. I currently have the first drive about 20% the way through creating Volume 1. I'll be in bed tonight before it finishes the way its going!!!!

Did I understand correctly that once this step is completed I should be able to use the wizard to create a RAID 1 configuration even without the 2nd disk appearing in the Volume Manager. Once I have done that shutdown and then try rebooting with the 2nd drive connected....

By the way I have also raised a support ticket on this with Synology to see if I can get some help as well just in case your suggestion doesnt work, no response to date.

I am now concerned that I purchased the wrong drives as I have WD20EARS - 00J2GB0 and not the model that is on the synology compatibility list.

Realy dumb question, neither of the drives I've been supplied have any jumpers with them, there is no master/slave configuration required in SATA for the 1st and 2nd disk is there?
tomba60
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby maxxfi » Thu May 06, 2010 4:05 pm

tomba60 wrote:Hi Maxxfi, I wouldnt have connected the 2nd drive with NAS powered on if you had asked me too :-)
I only have a few hours experience with the product so forgive me if I have misunderstood your earlier suggestion. I currently have the first drive about 20% the way through creating Volume 1. I'll be in bed tonight before it finishes the way its going!!!!

Hmm, as you have the EARS disks, have you read the other threads regarding the Advanced Format?
You may want to optimize the access to the disks before proceeding with the rest.

Did I understand correctly that once this step is completed I should be able to use the wizard to create a RAID 1 configuration even without the 2nd disk appearing in the Volume Manager. Once I have done that shutdown and then try rebooting with the 2nd drive connected....

I think for volume1 should should have now the 'Standard' Type, which is the Synology Hybrid RAID, which is kind of 'smart' RAID1.
When you add the second disk you should have the chance to add it to the existing RAID.

Realy dumb question, neither of the drives I've been supplied have any jumpers with them, there is no master/slave configuration required in SATA for the 1st and 2nd disk is there?

Don't worry about this. Actually with SATA interface there is no more master and slave, but only a "master" (here can be only one disk per channel), so no jumpers for that.
maxxfi
Programmer
Programmer

Postby tomba60 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:02 am

Maxxfi, thanks again for your reply.

Disk 1 has now come up as Volume 1 - Standard. I ran the disk management wizard to try and create a RAID config but it wont give me that option unless it can see the 2nd drive. I tried powering off and inserting the second drive and powering on anyway, but still have the orginal issue that the NAS wont boot when both drives are installed together. The drives are actually spinning up and there is some part up of the NAS boot up occuring because the thing keeps going through the same sequence of disk activity lights flashing and disk activity every couple of minutes....

I guess I need to wait for Synology to reply to the trouble ticket and am prepared to return the unit to the supplier with the drives if no answer is forthcoming.

Yes I have been reading about the EARS drives on the net, and realise I may have some tweaking to do later on, but the NAS should still boot up with the drives inserted....
tomba60
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby maxxfi » Fri May 07, 2010 7:38 am

tomba60 wrote:I guess I need to wait for Synology to reply to the trouble ticket and am prepared to return the unit to the supplier with the drives if no answer is forthcoming.

Yeah, probably at this point you can just wait for Synology to answer.

If you have time to spare still searching yourself, and you have enabled SSH/telnet on your NAS, you could
boot with one drive and have a look at the file /var/log/messages ("Synology> more /var/log/messages")
If the NAS was at least able to boot when you connected the 2nd drive, you should see if that 2nd drive
was recognized in one of the previous boot times.
Have also a look via web management at Information -> Log, and see if in any of the logs you find any clues of what
was happening.

Good luck!
maxxfi
Programmer
Programmer

Postby tomba60 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:23 am

Latest update: I puchased a USB to SATA docking station and was able to "Advance Format" both drives and try them in the NAS again. Same problem, the unit wont boot if there is a drive plugged into the Disk 2 slot. I took the NAS and disks to the supplier and they tested it using my drives and also a pair of Seagate drives and confirmed there is a problem with the unit - I must have just been unlucky and received a faulty unit out of the box.

I now need to wait till next week for them to get a new unit in and they will try my drives in it before they ship the lot too me. Fingers crossed....
tomba60
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby tomba60 » Sat May 15, 2010 8:31 am

Just wanted to let you know that I received a replacement DS210j and both my WD20EARS drives are now seen and I have been able to create a 'standard' volume of 1.82TB without any trouble. Now I just need to learn how to setup the thing properly :D
tomba60
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby smithicks_ireland » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:38 pm

Out of interest, I have the exact same setup and disks. What sort of throughput are us seeing on a standard file copy to the nas. I too had problems with my second drive, it would see it just faulty though so Im awaiting a replacement. In the meantime I created a basic volume, but copying anything is so slow, 5mb/sec from my laptop at best. Have you seen better results?
smithicks_ireland
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby tomba60 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:11 pm

Hi smithicks_ireland,

I copied a 300Meg Outlook pst file to the NAS and it peaked at around 10Mbps according to the Resource Monitor. I tried the copy from my Pentium 4 desktop which is running winXP SP3 and is connected via Cat6 to the NAS through a Netgear Switch. The Switch supports 1 Gbps to the NAS but my desktop only has a 100Mbps NIC. I suspect the specs of my desktop PC is the limiting factor here.

My 2 disks are set as "Standard" so I have one 2TB volume (1.82TB to be exact), am also running the latest DSM firmware.

Tried a a similar copy from my wifes Lenovo T60 laptop which is running Vista and is connecting to the Netgear switch at 1Gbps and got 25Mbps according to the Resource Monitor.

Not sure why you are having the poor performance but it maybe a network issue. Not sure if you are connected using WiFi, but if you are I'd try a wired connection which I suspect will perform better.
tomba60
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby smithicks_ireland » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:29 pm

Well at least thats reassuring. Yeah Im connected from Nas straight through to Laptop, all Gig connections or going through the switch and best I get is 5mb/sec, going wireless the best I get is 2.5mb/sec. It was suggested to me to re-format using the consistency check option, is this what you did? And yes a 100mb connection would only see a 10mb throughput. I'd be happy with 25mb/sec!!
smithicks_ireland
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby urosh » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:51 pm

Hello.

Just wanted to know if those HDD are ok for the 211j? I would then purchase them.

Cheers!
urosh
Trainee
Trainee

Postby nubyOz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:21 am

HI,

Using 2* WD20EARS in my DS211J
- Idle turned up (WDIDLE3)
- Reformated through initialisation (RESET button)
- Set up as individual drives and volumes as ext4
Transfer seems to peak around 47MB/s, more than happy

Cheers
DS211J running DSM 5.0-4493 update 3
Two WD2002FAEX (replaced my Green WD20EARS with the Caviar blacks WD2002FAEX after failures), formatted EXT4.
Back up important files to Seagate FreeAgent Enclosure with 2TB WD drive inside formatted as EXT4.
Try Back up on Seagte 4TB drive, EXT4, get Disk ejected errors
nubyOz
Novice
Novice

Next

Return to Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion