DS212j so slow on my Mac

Questions regarding Mac OS X Specifically can be placed here, such as questions regarding TimeMachine, for example.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

DS212j so slow on my Mac

Postby jonahlee » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:57 pm

I got a DS212j to move my iTunes off of my computer, and allow me to share my music between computers on my network as well as do some file sharing, but the even with a 1000 base T network, having the DS212J mounted on my Mac has slowed it down to such an extent that I am copying back all of my music and going to take the Synology offline.

My finder has been beachballing constantly and my computer runs incredibly slow, and the only way to speed it back up is to dismount the DS212j!

I am so pissed and frustrated right now as I am basically out all the money that i spent. Even getting a new domain so I could serve my music, but it just isn't worth having my computer run so incredibly slowly!

At first I was hoping it was just the CloudSync, but I uninstalled that and everything has still been moving at a crawl. I have found the only way to speed things up is to dismount the server.

What is going on? Why is it so incredibly slow on my mac? The actual upload and download speed does not seem bad, but what it does to my computer having it connected is incredible. I have never seen my computer so incredibly slow!
jonahlee
Beginner
Beginner

Re: DS212j so slow on my Mac

Postby kamina » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:16 pm

Is it beach balling as soon as the disk is mounted, or only when itunes is trying to access the library? Trying to use iTunes with the thumbnails and meta-data on the synology would probably be terrible, I moved them to an SSD to make it work properly, however having the music there should be ok.

Have a look at "activity monitor" when you have that problem. What process is using the CPU? Do you have free memory? What does disk and network activity look like? Also have a look at console, are you getting errors?
kamina
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jonahlee » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:51 pm

Basically when the Synology is connected I am getting a slow finder. Ever time I try click into the finder it beachballs for a little while before I get access. And this is even with my iTunes library back off the NAS. Just having the NAS mounted seems to be causing the finder issue.

And it was just the iTunes media, not the library that was stored on the synology. And then the finder was slow and sometimes the music would stutter or even have static in it. Just not working for me to use to store my iTunes, or even have connected to my Mac.

I even tried to see if it was my system that was having issues, so I did a clean re-install of Mountain Lion and am still having this issue, and it is connected via a 10/1000 network.
jonahlee
Beginner
Beginner

Postby nvdigitalforensics » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:38 pm

I am having the same problem. I am using a new MB Pro and a new DS212j with everything updated on both. I am copying/backing up folders from my iOmega USB3 drive through the MB one or two at a time, not the whole drive. I am also organizing and cleaning out the unwanted items before I transfer them.
Everything was working decent until I attempted to copy an iPhoto library last night.
It started out decent @ 3-4 MB/s until about 1/2 way through then dropped off to sub 300Kb/s.
I stopped it, rebooted everything in the network including the computer and HDD and even tried a few different files to no avail.
A 1.5 GB file took about over 2 hours.
I shut everything down for about an hour and returned to try another 5GB iPhoto library.
THe same issue, sub 300Kb/s transfer rate.

After hours of tinkering I finally just started it again and went to bed.
According to my logs the 5GB file took about 3 hours.

THe computer or the DS212 windows arent "beach balling" and everything seems ok there. only Xfer speeds.
My Network is all 1GB and the wireless is an Airport Extreme (N).
Any ideas?
nvdigitalforensics
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby nvdigitalforensics » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:18 pm

FYI as a work around I began transferring files via the finder rather through the Synology assistant and the browser. It appears to be working much better as I just transferred a 7.48GB folder in a little over 4 minutes. :)
nvdigitalforensics
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby canuckify » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:01 pm

I have the exact same issue -- the damn drives runs almost constantly. I've emailed Synology multiple times on this issue with no response. My drive has been running for nearly 4 straight days... and the computer has been beach-balled for most of that time.
canuckify
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby fmb » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:36 am

You could give this a try, increased the transferspeed beteren my DS212+ and a Mac significantly. The website shows some settings on the Mac to change:
http://www.techkaki.com/2010/12/slow-sa ... -mac-os-x/
fmb
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby rhieblgor » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:51 pm

I have the exact same issue since upgrading to Mountain Lion ( 10.8.2 ) on a DS211J

10.7 worked fine, now using 10.8 afpd ( on diskstation ) shows almost full cpu usage when creating an empty folder or copying small files and has slowed down to a crawl.

SMB works for now but is also slow..

Is this a known issue ?
rhieblgor
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Mac OS X