Apple TV connectivity issues

Questions regarding Mac OS X Specifically can be placed here, such as questions regarding TimeMachine, for example.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Apple TV connectivity issues

Postby Grayson54 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:22 pm

I use a DS411 as the file server for my iTunes database (though I do not use the iTunes server that is part of DSM). Since installing the DS411, I have been having issues with connectivity to my Apple TV upstairs. I get "An error connecting to file" style error message from Apple TV.

The Apple TV is ethernet-connected to my DS411 and iTunes running on my local PC (not using WiFi). Connection to the Apple TV is done through Linksys Wireless Switch/Router E3200 and a regular Cisco small 5-port switch near the Apple TV. The PC where iTunes is running is a Dell desktop running Windows 7.

I did this same setup when the music files were on my local PC hard drive without difficulty, but now that the change has been made to DS411, I have problems connecting regularly. It will work for, say, 10 songs in a row (as an example) and then stop, with Apple TV showing me this error on screen. Not sure if this makes a difference, but most of the music files are in Apple Lossless format.

Any thoughts? Do I need to change some settings to get it to work? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
George
Grayson54
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Mac OS X