Recommended setup with DS212 and iTunes

Questions regarding Mac OS X Specifically can be placed here, such as questions regarding TimeMachine, for example.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Recommended setup with DS212 and iTunes

Postby matic » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently got my DS212 setup and couldn't be more excited to start taking full advantage of all the features. I will be mainly using this device as a media hub and storage. I had a question on the best setup for iTunes and managing my iTunes library.

I will be accessing the Diskstation from a MacBook Pro. Ideally all of my music files will be stored in the music folder on the Diskstation and iTunes on the MB Pro will access them from there. I don't want to have them stored on the MB Pro as my library is rather large. I have already moved all of the media to the music folder on the Diskstation and mapped a SMB share on my MB Pro to access the data. I don't have a previous iTunes library to preserve so I can start from scratch. What I have done is simply drag the music folder on the mapped SMB share to iTunes and it is importing now (REALLY slowly). I want to be able to sync my iPhone/iPad with iTunes so I need iTunes to see these files as "local". Am I going about this the right way? Will performance be really slow? Any other solutions are welcome. I currently have the new iTunes library residing on the MB Pro but am fine moving it to the Diskstation if there are benefits.

Thanks in advance!
matic
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Recommended setup with DS212 and iTunes

Postby DokMorris » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:27 pm

hey. i was trying the same + i would like to access my library from on the road + share it with some friends.

any news on the topic?
DS212 DSM 4.0
macbook pro OSX 10.7
Galaxy SII
Pirelli PRGAV4202N
DokMorris
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Mac OS X