Recommended setup with DS212 and iTunes

Questions regarding Mac OS X Specifically can be placed here, such as questions regarding TimeMachine, for example.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Recommended setup with DS212 and iTunes

Postby matic » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently got my DS212 setup and couldn't be more excited to start taking full advantage of all the features. I will be mainly using this device as a media hub and storage. I had a question on the best setup for iTunes and managing my iTunes library.

I will be accessing the Diskstation from a MacBook Pro. Ideally all of my music files will be stored in the music folder on the Diskstation and iTunes on the MB Pro will access them from there. I don't want to have them stored on the MB Pro as my library is rather large. I have already moved all of the media to the music folder on the Diskstation and mapped a SMB share on my MB Pro to access the data. I don't have a previous iTunes library to preserve so I can start from scratch. What I have done is simply drag the music folder on the mapped SMB share to iTunes and it is importing now (REALLY slowly). I want to be able to sync my iPhone/iPad with iTunes so I need iTunes to see these files as "local". Am I going about this the right way? Will performance be really slow? Any other solutions are welcome. I currently have the new iTunes library residing on the MB Pro but am fine moving it to the Diskstation if there are benefits.

Thanks in advance!
matic
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Recommended setup with DS212 and iTunes

Postby DokMorris » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:27 pm

hey. i was trying the same + i would like to access my library from on the road + share it with some friends.

any news on the topic?
DS212 DSM 4.0
macbook pro OSX 10.7
Galaxy SII
Pirelli PRGAV4202N
DokMorris
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Mac OS X