HOW-TO: Multiple Mac Users with Mounted DS Shares using NFS

Questions regarding Mac OS X Specifically can be placed here, such as questions regarding TimeMachine, for example.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Re: HOW-TO: Multiple Mac Users with Mounted DS Shares using

Postby admanb » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:48 am

One last tip...if you created any directories on the DS using an account in the same user group as the new user accounts (e.g. GID 100), so you still can't write to the directories since you aren't the owner of those directories, then you should grant write permission to those directories for the new users. An easy way to do this, which is how I did it, is to give write permission to users in the same group. Since my Mac users and the user who had created many of the directories on the DS were in the same group, I could just do the following on any directories I wanted to give the Mac users permissions to write to:
Code: Select all
chmod 775 *
admanb
Beginner
Beginner

Postby EvtK » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:17 pm

Hey admanb,

Thanks for your excellent guide. I have been staggering with exactly the same problems for some time now. First had everything on AFP/SMB. Noticed that it won't play with fast user switching. Then switched to NFS, but noticed that files were modified with user/group permissions. So went back to AFP: but I hate it :). So going for NFS again.

Can you confirm that with aligning the user / group id's between MAC and DS, it is possible to open itunes library from different user accounts.

Right now if I open library on NFS, the permission change to only read/write to 501. So when user 502 tries to open it.. doesn't work. Even when not in use by 501.

thanks.
EvtK
Novice
Novice

Postby admanb » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:19 am

Hey Loek,

My pleasure -- yeah, it hasn't been easy to get to this point, but I've been running with no problems/complaints now for a long time.

I just checked and both users in Fast User Switching can open up the shared iTunes library, pulling from the Synology's Music folder. I'm running iTunes 10.6 and I'm sure I followed some specific online instructions I found for how to set up an iTunes library on the NAS server. I checked in my DSM 3.1 settings and my iTunes service is enabled with no password.

Hope that helps!

--admanb
admanb
Beginner
Beginner

Postby EvtK » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:51 am

Thanks for your reply. Seems like you are working with the build in iTunes feature of DSM. So far: I have just made a library and added my music from the NAS to it. On AFP both users can access this library since ownership and permissions of the library are not affected (the stay to my root account of the synology). If I open it on NFS, they permissions are affected and are changed to the current user logged in on the mac (501 or 502).

Whenever you have the time: can you check what the ownership/permissions are on your library file. It should be the xml and itl file.

Otherwise I could also check that NAS feature.

Thanks!
EvtK
Novice
Novice

Postby paschulke » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks for this great guide!

However, I got one issue with newly created folders. Any time I create a new folder as User1 I manually have to grant write permissions for User2, although we are in the same group and we both have read/write for the parent directory, both on user- and group-level. What am I missing? Shouldn't the permissions be inherited?

I followed your guide, use DSM4 with a Mac still running on 10.6. I run the share as NFS.

Thanks in advance!
paschulke
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby k3n85 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:33 pm

Any tips on doing this in Mountain Lion as they got rid of "NFS Mounts" in disk utility?

I've followed your guide before but had to reformat my computer and on 10.8.2 now. I tried combining this with the config here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/41 ... 0&tstart=0

But after restart, I can't get the mount to come up.
k3n85
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby admanb » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:02 am

Were you able to resolve it? I'm now on Mavericks and it seems to still work fine. I didn't have to re-set it up. I also upgraded my Synology.

In any case, command line looks the way to go. Maybe this (http://jose-manuel.me/2013/03/how-to-mount-a-nfs-in-mac-os-x-mountain-lion/#!/single_blog) more simple approach is helpful?

If you can't sort it out, let me know and I'll see if I can give you some very specific guidance.
admanb
Beginner
Beginner

Previous

Return to Mac OS X