How-to: Windows iTunes playlists the easy way

Questions/comments regarding the Audio Station can be placed here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Re: How-to: Windows iTunes playlists the easy way

Postby watson180 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks to all it will help me too. I am using ITUNES.
I am 22. Like to pass time online to gather knowledge.
watson180
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bgriffis » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:30 pm

Thanks to all for the great help. I thought I'd give a recap of my issue/solution in case it helps anyone else. I used the command line version of the tool as I thought it would be easier to just run a batch file in the future.

I have been running Logitech Media Server for many years from Windows. Recently I moved all my music to a Synology NAS and was having trouble getting the Media Server to "see" my content on the box. So I installed Logitech Media Server on the Synology NAS itself (supported right out of the box with just a few clicks!). Everything was working great except for the fact that all my playlists were being held captive by iTunes in Windows.

My solution was to download iTunes Export from here:

http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport/

I grabbed the command line version so I could write a batch file to invoke it easily. Here's the contents of my command file:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java" -jar itunesexport.jar -outputDir=\\diskstation\Media\Music\iTunes\Playlis ts -musicPath=/volume1/Media/Music/iTunes/Music -musicPathOld=C:\Media\Music\iTunes\Music -fileTypes=ALL -separator=MAC -includePlaylist="Brad 4 Star Sorted,Brad 5 Star Sorted,Kids 4 Star"

In the above command line the musicPathOld is where iTunes "sees" all my files from Windows, i.e. I created a softlink at C:\Media that points to \\diskstation\Media. The musicPath is the path that gets inserted into the m3u files, which is where Logitech Media Server "sees" the music locally on the NAS. I only wanted to create a few playlists as indicated by the includePlaylist. If you get rid of that part it generates all the playlists. I also have my iTunes library xml in the default location so didn't need to specify anything there.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else having a similar issue. Now if I want to re-create the m3u files I simply run the batch file and then rescan playlists.
bgriffis
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Wobblyman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:25 am

Hello,

I was having all sorts of problems - but eventually cracked it. None of the suggestions worked, but I've probably got a slightly different setup. I don't have any music under the default \music folder. Instead, I've shared a folder called iTunes, and the music is under a folder called iTunes Music. So the path to the tunes is \\iTunes\iTunes Music. Still no luck.

Anyway, after a few hours of fiddling around, I've used the following options:
Music Folder Prefix: ../../iTunes/iTunes Music/
Playlist Separator /

All good!
Wobblyman
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby shank2001 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:28 am

I got everything to work, but any file that has a "(" or ")" in the filename cannot be read by Audio Station. Anyone have any idea why, or know a way to fix it?

Thanks for any help!
shank2001
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Steve1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone. I had the following problem that I managed to resolve.

Playlist created without issue and appeared in DS Audio however the music could not be found showing a red cross next to each of the songs.

If you have a problem locating the files make sure that the location of the music folder is correct when scripting the iTunes export or using the GUI. The correct music prefix depends on the location of the playlist and appears to be a relative path. For example in my case the music is located on a share which is mounted at the following location on my mac:

/Volumes/New iTunes Lib/Music

HOWEVER the path your computer uses may not be the not the path that DS Audio will use. In my case the path is as follows:

../../../../../New iTunes Lib/Music/

Each of the "../" take DS Audio back up a folder level. To find out what the correct path is for your music library:

1. Create a temporary playlist in DS Audio (via the web interface) and call it "temp"
2. Add a song to the playlist
3. Locate the playlist in the filesystem called temp.m3u
4. Open the file with a text editor to find out what the path should be. You should use the path up to and including the / were all your music is kept. (If you do not have all your music organised into a single folder with the option "keep itunes folder organised" I'm guessing you will have issues!)

From what I can tell the path will be different depending on where you store the playlists and if you have personal music folders set-up on your DS.
Steve1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Previous

Return to Audio Station