Cannot Access \\DISKSTATION in Explorer Windows 8

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Cannot Access \\DISKSTATION in Explorer Windows 8

Postby vanheman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Since a few days I cannot access my Synology DiskStation via Windows Explorer on my Windows 8 Laptop. Settings are, as far as I know, unchanged. The DiskStation usually shows up under “Network” but when I try to access the DiskStation Windows says there’s no computer by that name in the network. This also happens when I try to access a windows XP computer in my network. Basically, all devices that do not support the home group are inaccessible. I don’t know whether this is cause or coincidence. I can access my Windows 7 PC just fine and the Windows 7 PC can usually access the DiskStation. Is this a Windows 8 problem?

I can ping the DiskStation on its (reserved) local IP, can access using IPaddress\folder name, can access DSM using local IP and Cloud Station is working fine. Also, no problems accessing the DiskStation with other devices (Win Explorer on Win7 Desktop and AppleTV with XMBC using SMB).

I was running DSM 4.2-3161 Beta. Just upgraded to 4.2-3202. No change.

Similar problems (but no solution):
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 2e036761a2
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=56258

Actions taken:
1. Network troubleshooter (says there’s no computer by that name in the network)
2. Rebooted the DS and the PC several times
3. Erased all password data in control panel -> user accounts.
4. Disabling and re-enabling Windows Network in DSM.
5. Returned windows firewall to default settings.
6. Disabled windows firewall
7. Rebooted the router.
8. Disabled the Router firewall.
9. Changing computer names to have ALL CAPS
10. Checked that workgroup is named WORKGROUP on all devices.
11. Checked that my home network is a private network
12. Disabled / re-enabled practically all advanced sharing settings: home groups, network detection, password management by windows or user etc.

Any suggestions?
vanheman
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Cannot Access \\DISKSTATION in Explorer Windows 8

Postby Stewy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:25 pm

I was having the very same issue you're describing.

but I think that the problem is intermittent with Windows I'm using W7 at the moment. Thing is that I can map using the assistant no problem and it keeps the mapping even if it doesn't show up in "my network"

It also seems to have something todo with the file services since I can only see it in "my network" after this log is made.

"Information System 2013/03/13 12:16:19 SYSTEM Windows file service was started."

So even if you don't see it in your network try using the assistant to map the drive.
---
DS212J+2x2T-WDRed
Draytek 2920vn W7-WMC
HTPC+HauppaugeHDPVR+WDTV
Stewy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby vanheman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:12 pm

I appreciate the workaround, but would prefer a fix.
Meanwhile I upgraded my AppleTV/XBMC to Frodo (v12). Now I can no longer access my DS from XMBC as well :x
vanheman
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Stewy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:00 pm

vanheman wrote:I appreciate the workaround, but would prefer a fix.

Like I said I was having the same issue in W7 that you're describing and after reading this post http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=60999#p250609 It seems to have fixed it.

I mean that when you do change the networkID to a home computer it reverts back to "workgroup" by default as your computer name. It looks like the windows file service or Syno has a problem with the master browser service or something.

I changed all my computers and devices back to the default of "workgroup" and so far so go, everything even this morning has been working fine, everything is showing up in "my network" as it should.

Hope this helps.
---
DS212J+2x2T-WDRed
Draytek 2920vn W7-WMC
HTPC+HauppaugeHDPVR+WDTV
Stewy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby vanheman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:40 pm

I tried all the steps mentioned. I did not register a domain name. All compters are in 'Workgroup'. I've changed the Netword ID for all devices to short and simple names with ALL CAPS. Shut down all devices. Disconnected all non-windows devices. Then rebooted all devices starting with the diskstation. Same problem...

PS: XMBC can now see the DS, but shows 'not permitted' if I try to access...
vanheman
Trainee
Trainee

Postby vanheman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:59 pm

I enabled 'local maste browser' on my DS. This solved the problem for my XBMC. For my Windows PC it solved the problem for only five minutes :(
vanheman
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Stewy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:09 pm

did you read this

SeanFL wrote:--- may have found a solution. After searching around the synology forum, found this group of posts (link below). Suggests going into win/mac/nfc on the synology DSM control panel, and check "enable SMB 2 and Large MTU." Did that and now I can see the NAS in my network list on all computers. I did not need to change anything in windows. I had also rebooted the NAS, so maybe that fixed it as well.
---
DS212J+2x2T-WDRed
Draytek 2920vn W7-WMC
HTPC+HauppaugeHDPVR+WDTV
Stewy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby vanheman » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but that was not it.

The problem seemed to be that I was using the same username in Windows and DSM, but with different passwords. Windows somehow stored an incorrect password in the stored credentials (default Win8 behavior is trying to log on with the Win8 credentials, which I think somehow caused this). I did not remove but edited the credentials in Control Panel -> users to match the DSM data. No problems since.
vanheman
Trainee
Trainee

Postby kengood » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:26 pm

Here is what I did: 1. I created a new user to log into diskstation; 2. I named the new computer with windows 8 that user name; and 3. I was able to see the drive and map drives.
kengood
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Moezer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:14 am

Simply posting what worked for me.

I have a Samsung Chronos 7, Windows 8 PC. Under the "workgroup" field, I typed in a name initially. I read somewhere to type in "WORKGROUP" into the field...I did, saved the setting and it just worked. Didn't reboot any devices.
Moezer
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Windows OS