First file transfer fails

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

First file transfer fails

Postby mureren » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi.

I'm having a strange problem.
Whenever i want to transfer a file from Windows 7 to my DS411+ (ie. cut from desktop, paste to "Windows Explorer - Network - DS411 - name_of_folder"), the first transfer fails at around 20-30% completion. It just stalls, and write speed slows down to almost nothing and finally stops.
If i press "Cancel" in the file transfer dialog box, and immediately does exactly the same thing again, everything works like a charm. Nothing wrong with transfer speed, and the transfer is completed as it should.

Can i somehow log what is going on?
mureren
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: First file transfer fails

Postby aldo962 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:47 pm

Hi, i'm experiencing the same problem under windows XP SP3 on a DS1511+. It happens everytime I reboot my nas. I'm using JBOD file system on latest DS 3.2 revision. When this happens I can see the light of my first hard Disk blinking while it should blink the second one as I have 2 HD of 2 Tb in JBOD and less than 200 Gb available. I don't know how phisically JBOD drives are used but I suppose that the "Directories" of the JBOD volume are stored only on the first HD while the others HD are just a pool of space for files. Am I correct ? If I'm right I suppose the first access to JBOD volume should read all the filesystem structure and windows fails waiting for it. While the next time the directory structure should be already buffered in DS memory.
I have also a DS210j nas with the same latest DS 3.2 revision, with 2 hard disk but organized in raid 0 and the problem is not appearing.
Can anyone suggest a solution or circumvention ? I've used JBOD to have the possibility of expanding the volume size when i'll buy more hard disks. I need a large volume space and I'm not interested in volume security.
Also if I don't wait windows to issue the network error and cancel the transfer, I get an explorer crash. Same thing with other shells. Sometimes I need to reboot the windows client.
Can anyone help please ?
aldo962
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: First file transfer fails

Postby aldo962 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:46 am

UPDATE !
Installing DSM 4.0 the problem disappeared! Well done Synology!
aldo962
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Windows OS