Wireless networked DS212

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Wireless networked DS212

Postby ash_d » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:04 am

Hi.

Forgive my lack of any basic networking knowledge in advance! I have my DS connected to my home network via a wireless dongle. Firstly is there any way of configuring it to wake whilst connected wirelessly? My assumption is this is only possible if directly connected to my router?

Also previously when connected directly to my router via Ethernet cable my DS appeared as a network device in Vista and I could navigate all folders easily. Now it's attached wirelessly it's no longer visible and I have to MAP the folders I want to acces via Synology assistant. This is a little inflexible and so far I've had to remap the folders every time I've booted the laptop as Vista hasn't stored the mapped addresses. The main problem here is that every time I open iTunes after reboot is it reverts to the default c:\ drive address so I have to change the location again and update the library as it's stored on my DS. This is a ball ache!

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated!

Ash
ash_d
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Wireless networked DS212

Postby ash_d » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi.
re
For anyone with similar problems then I'm still unsure of using wireless wake up.

However the visibility of DS212 on my pc is resolved by going to control panel, win/mac/nfs and ticking enable local master browser.

Regarding itunes, the ds212 needs to be mounted on your pc before itunes will point its library to your stored content. It temporarily reverts to it's default C drive location until the ds212 is available so the invalid track paths denoted by an exclamation mark will then become available. If you're pc is a laptop want + to load new music to it whilst you're away from your home network then just consolidating the library whilst itunes is looking at ds will bring the new music across to ds. No need to keep reorganising your library as i kept doing via edit, preferences, advanced every time your track links are broken. Just be patient and they will arrive!

Cheers

Ash
ash_d
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Windows OS