QuickBooks remote access ?

See if your 3rd party software (such as backup software) is compatible with our product.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

QuickBooks remote access ?

Postby petes307 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:33 pm

I apologise if this is the wrong place to ask this, but here goes:

My daughter is using QuickBooks accounting package, and is now upgrading to the 2012 version. As she lives some distance away (200 miles) we have thought that QB could be installed on my DS211j device, and she could access the application remotely....... ??
We could also access the application locally, so that the same data is updated regardless of who is using the application........
Is this possible ?
If so, how do I set it up ?
I'm using DSM4.0

Many thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Pete
petes307
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: QuickBooks remote access ?

Postby omegaci » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:56 am

This is not possible. Here's why:

When you install Quickbooks it offers three installation options:
1. company file resides on computer only-- you are installing a quickbooks server
2. company file resides on computer and user runs quickbooks on the computer--installing server and application
3. user runs quickbooks but company file resides on another computer-- installing application only

The quickbooks database manager, as it is called, is a piece of windows software that runs in the background and it is what allows multiple, simultaneous, access to the company file without corruption. It may not be obvious but when you switch from single user to multi-user mode, and the company file has to close and re-open, it is invoking the server software to take control.

Since it is windows software it can't run on a Synology which is Linux. You might think quickbooks database manager can run on windows but the actual company file can be placed on a network share, such as a synology disk station but the database manager won't allow you to run off anything but a local file-- for good and technical reasons.

While it is not possible to use a synology to accomplish what you want, it is an otherwise a very straight forward setup to give a remote user secure access to local resources, be they server, computers, etc. A VPN or virtual private network does exactly this; by the way the disk station has VPN software to act as a VPN server. Unfortunately, there's no simple way to setup a VPN. the best bet is to get someone, your ISP, local tech support etc. to setup your VPN for you.
omegaci
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: QuickBooks remote access ?

Postby xmotion » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:27 pm

You might be able to use WEBDAV.
xmotion
Trainee
Trainee

Return to Software Compatibility Lists