Microsoft SQL Server

See if your 3rd party software (such as backup software) is compatible with our product.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Microsoft SQL Server

Postby nickichino » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:23 am

Hi,

Sorry if this may sound like a stupid question but I have tried searching on google and this forum for answers but simply cannot understand the terminology used.

I have a MS SQL Server running a custom made sales/accounting/reporting/billing program in a old Windows XP machine which over the year is starting to become unstable. I am now running a Synology DS209+ II as a file server and would like to know if any of the Synology NAS can handle running the MS SQL server for my custom billing program? It will be much better if I can run the program on a NAS because I don't know how to maintain a Windows Server and a NAS has much less requirements (ie. no 24/7 A/C required).

The program was written my someone I hired a long time ago and when I asked him about the possibility of running on NAS he had no idea/knowledge about NAS. He isn't really up to date about these technologies and I have know idea/knowledge about programming so I really need someone to please help explain.

Thank you very much in advance for any help/explanation given.

Nick
nickichino
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Microsoft SQL Server

Postby rde » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:50 am

Not possible at all sorry. MSsql runs only on windows environments not on a linux based nas
rde
Rookie
Rookie

Postby deerpark » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:52 am

Microsoft SQL Server is, as far as I know, only available for Microsoft Windows. Windows is not installed on any of the NAS Synology produce.
While you might theoretically be able to install Windows on a few of the high end NAS, I don't think it would be possible in reality. It is certainly not possible on the DS209+II.
Your only options is therefore to port your application to one of the databases supported, like MySQL.
deerpark
Experienced
Experienced

Postby nickichino » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:02 am

Thank you both for your answers.

I now realized that part of my confusion in thinking that it can work is because I saw that Synology NAS supports MySQL. I now realized that MS SQL and MySQL are totally on different platform.

I will see if our program can be ported over to MySQL.

Again, thanks for you replies.

Nick
nickichino
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby iugrifma » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Hi,
Just to let you know that Syno's also support PostgreSQL, if your application cant be ported to MySQL maybe it might run on Postgres. In theory if your app. is ANSI SQL compliant it should port across.

* Model: RS-810+ * Firmware: 4.1-2567
* Model: DS-209+ * Firmware: 4.2-3246
* Modification(s) DS-209+ RAM 1Gb / RS810 RAM 3Gb / +Optware
* Drives Seagate DS209+: 2x ST31500341AS / RS810: 3x ST3000VN000-1H41.
* Network: 1000xBASE T, Full duplex. [Bonded on 810+]
* Services enabled: Most of them!
iugrifma
Versed
Versed

Postby bogusgeorge » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:08 pm

I might be a little late on this reply but you could store you .mdf and .ldf files on the NAS and have your system(s) point to the directory that they are in on the NAS.

George
bogusgeorge
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Software Compatibility Lists