NFS & WDTV Problems

Questions about using the NFS Server may be placed here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

NFS & WDTV Problems

Postby Taxman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:44 pm

Update: Solution found see last post or just click here.

I have a WDTV with a modded firmware that supports NFS shares loaded onto it however I cannot get it to work, the WDTV says the folder (sharename) is empty.

Example given for mounting NFS shares with WDTV
# xmount 192.168.0.44:/nfsroot ShareName nfs

Settings on synology
Hostname = *
Privilege = read only
Root Squash = map to guest
Mount path = /volume1/video

My line used
xmount 192.168.1.100:/volume1/video video nfs

The "video" sharename appears on the WDTV but it comes up as empty, any one got any ideas or already got a working setup ?

Edit: This is the full text from the file that controls the NFS mounts for the WDTV
# Mount a NFS share

# xmount 192.168.0.44:/nfsroot ShareName nfs

# Notice that we no longer need to modprobe, nor create the directory.
# That is handled for us by xmount.

# Also note that if you store a net.mounts file in /conf/ then it will ALSO
# execute on startup.
Last edited by Taxman on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taxman
Guru
Guru

Re: NFS & WDTV Problems

Postby kiwicam » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:58 pm

What file types does the directory contain?
What file types does your WDTV support?
Also, even files that are visible are sometimes not playable depending on the codec they use.
DS-1010+ / DSM 5.0-4528 / 5 x Hitachi HDS722020ALA330
DS-207+ / DSM 3.1-1638 / 2 x Hitachi HDS722020ALA330
kiwicam
Versed
Versed

Postby Taxman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:04 pm

It's not a codec issue the WDTV supports a lot of formats to begin with, and the modded firmware also has an experimental upnp server built in which actually works but the speed is too slow for some media which is why is why you need NFS that and the synology upnp server has limited media support whereas if the WDTV can see the NFS share it can read anything in the folder it supports.

I've read some of the posts here about the Tvix and NFS and copied their settings but I must still be missing something as it just doesn't seem to work quite right.
Taxman
Guru
Guru

Postby Taxman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:59 pm

Okay made some small headway the WDTV can now see the video folder with the first set of sub folders within it but when attempting to open any of these it reports back as empty

This is the line used in net.mounts
xmount 192.168.1.100:/volume1/video volume1 nfs

NFS Privileges are set to
Hostname = *
Privilege = read only
Root Squash = no mapping
Mount path = /volume1/video

I have a feeling its to do with either the root squash and or the sharename "volume1" as thats what shows up on the WDTV not a "video" folder.

Edit: A little more research has shown that at least in some other cases of setting up NFS shares for WDTV with other platforms the reason why it shows the folders as empty is a permissions issue and that password protecting the user account can solve it but not really sure if that will work in this case. I did give guest users read/write access to the video folder than set the root squash to map to guest but it made no difference.

Okay after some further messing about I got a folder with videos to show but it cannot play any of the videos (it can through upnp/cifs so its not a codec issue) what I did was
created new folder called WDTV
gave Local users "admin" read/write access
gave Local groups "user" read/write access
under NFS privileges gave it read/write access and selected "map to admin"

However when trying to play a video it takes a while then up comes unable to play video so I'm almost certain its some sort of permissions problem.
Taxman
Guru
Guru

Postby Taxman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:36 pm

Success at long last here is how to do it;

1) Make sure jumbo frames are disabled on your Synology NAS
2) You must have media library mode enabled on the WDTV

In Synology management UI
1) Enable NFS.
2) Go to shared folders - privileges setup and for the folder you wish to share enable the guest account under local users to have read/write access.
3) Go to NFS privileges and select;
Hostname or IP = *
Privilege = Read/Write
Root Squash = Map to guest

4) With the changes made reboot your NAS.
5) In your WDTV NET.mounts file add the line (video being the name of the shared folder with the privileges set)

Now reboot your WDTV and if all goes well you should able to see and read videos from the NFS share.
Taxman
Guru
Guru

Postby Twister » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:22 am

Hi Taxman!
Very-very thx this guide! My 409+ & WD TV work with 1.02.07.WDLXTV-0.5.3.2 firmware with NFS protocoll. BUT! If refreshing this firmware newest mod. firm such as 1.02.10.WDLXTV-0.5.5 or 1.02.10_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV-0.5.6.2 and 1.02.11_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV-0.5.7. These newest firms don't work! I push in the WDTV's video folder the WDTV says the folder (sharename) is empty! Why? Your WDTV and newest WDLXTV firmware works wit Synology? Please help me! Thx.

Ooops, i forget these:

My net.mounts file containing this line: xmount 192.168.1.102:/volume1/video volume1 nfs
This net.mounts file work up to 1.02.07.WDLXTV-0.5.3.2 firmware, but above version don't work!

My net.config file containing this line: MTU=1500 and DHCP=YES (remain lines is null with #)

P.S.:
I'm sorry is terrible english, but I'm is Hungaryan.
Twister
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby skyworld » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:45 am

Hi, Tax Man

Your step by step is really useful to me. I have my WDTV+DS209 working fine with those configuration. :)
thanks.

Taxman wrote:Success at long last here is how to do it;

1) Enable NFS.
2) Go to shared folders - privileges setup and for the folder you wish to share enable the guest account under local users to have read/write access.
Hostname or IP = *
Privilege = Read/Write

5) In your WDTV NET.mounts file add the line (video being the name of the shared folder with the privileges set)

Now reboot your WDTV and if all goes well you should able to see and read videos from the NFS share.
skyworld
I'm New!
I'm New!

WDLXTV and Synology DS110j NFS Slowwwww HELLPP....

Postby Gemni » Fri May 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey guys,
I have been trying to fix this stupid issue im having with my WDLXTV Live plus box and my nas. When i watch a movie out of no where the movie pauses and drops the connection and stops playing. It is getting to the point where i cant stand watching stuff off the nas. I have read alot about setting up NFS and making that works with WDLXTV since NFS has a faster connection but that isnt the case when i set it up. NFS has a slower connection than my samaba.
These are the steps i followed to setup the nas and WD

1) Enable NFS.
Hostname or IP = *
Privilege = Read/Write

My jumbo frame is disable and mtu 1500
NFS enabled
my shared folder under nfs privileges has the WDdlxtv IP address and read/write and map to guest. Asynchronous is no.
My mount are set like
xmount 192.168.1.200:/volume1/downloads downloads nfs
I can access the drive just fine via WDLXTV but it is running SLOWWWWWWwwww.....

One more thing i notice is that when i run the 1080p movie via nfs it shows data transfer of 258KB and when i run it off samba it shows data transfer of 1788KB. This is based on the resource monitor tool on the synology.

I need hep to either figure out why NFS is slow or why my stupid samba connection keeps dropping. Help :? :? :? :?
Gemni
Beginner
Beginner

Return to NFS Server