Rate Synology SUPPORT (not devices) - Give your opinion !

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Rate Synology SUPPORT (not devices) compared to other companies' support for similar products

Poll ended at Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:36 pm

1 - Worst I've ever seen for a product of this type/price/complexity
No votes
2 - Bad / Poor / Below Average : needs serious improvement, I expect better for a product of this type/price/complexity
40%
3 - Average : same as other similar products of this type/price/complexity
30%
4 - Good : usually exceeds expectation
30%
5 - Perfect : always exceeds expectations, best I've seen for a product of this type/price/complexity
No votes

Total votes : 10

Rate Synology SUPPORT (not devices) - Give your opinion !

Postby Ltek » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:36 pm

Rate Synology SUPPORT (not devices) compared to other companies' support for similar products

PLEASE don't make excuses for Synology... if you love the support or want to give them a pass - fine but this thread is NOT for you.

This thread is for users to share their BELOW EXPECTATIONS SUPPORT EXPERIENCES and provide CONSTRUCTIVE RECOMMENDATIONS in the hopes that Synology will listen to the community and make a serious effort to show the community they care and improve the support processes.

The Poll is a side-note, to see the overall census for the community.

Thank you for your contribution :D

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

I'd had my 212j for a bit over a month now overall I like the device but the lack of what I call "real support" is troubling. Synology's support seems like one of two possibilities... severely understaffed or 'if we get around to it' attitude.

Below are support processes/methods/areas that are the norm with other products of this type/price/complexity but where Synology has serious gaps...

- No way to see/track open bugs
- No response to know if your submitted bug is verified / repro'd
- No response to know if your submitted bug is being fixed
- No way to see the expected release date of fix
- No way to see how who in the community has formally reported the same bug
- No way to see how many people have formally reported the same bug
- No staff from Synology helping, even occasionally, to support the user forums

Recommendations...

User Community access to the bug tracking system.
- On rare occasion there might be bugs, like security issues, where Synology will need to keep them internal to Synology - this is fine as all bug tracking systems I know of allow this. But, 99% of bug should be viewable/trackable by the community.

Synology staff actively involved with the User Community forum.
- staff should help users with how-to questions when the community is not stepping up to provide usable help.
- staff should guide users to open bug tickets when the issue looks like a bug, not just a how-to or lack of understanding
Ltek
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Rate Synology SUPPORT (not devices) - Give your opinion

Postby sjeph8je » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:59 pm

I would also add in your post(s) with which support area you had contact :idea:
Synology DS-209 | DSM 4.2-3250 | 2 x WD20EARS (RAID1) (Time Backup | PhpMyAdmin | PhpLdapAdmin | PhpPgAdmin | Mailstation 2 | Svn | Directory server | Syslog server)
  • USB Conceptronic CHD3SU | WD20EARS (Ext-4)
Synology DS-209 | DSM 4.2-3250 | 2 x WD5000AAKS (RAID0) (syslog server)
  • USB Conceptronic CHD3NET | WD5000AAVS (Ext-4)
Corruption wears infinite disguises.
sjeph8je
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby Ltek » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:25 pm

sjeph8je wrote:I would also add in your post(s) with which support area you had contact :idea:

What do yo mean by "support area"? I'm assuming there is one central support group for Synology - one set of rules of engagement, one method to submit bugs/requests, one community forum, etc.
Ltek
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby sjeph8je » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:34 am

Well personally I have only dealt with the support group from asia (I assume). From various post in this forum it looks like US has also a (separate) support group?
Maybe I'm completely wrong about this, but it could also explain why some people have good experiences and others bad experiences.
Synology DS-209 | DSM 4.2-3250 | 2 x WD20EARS (RAID1) (Time Backup | PhpMyAdmin | PhpLdapAdmin | PhpPgAdmin | Mailstation 2 | Svn | Directory server | Syslog server)
  • USB Conceptronic CHD3SU | WD20EARS (Ext-4)
Synology DS-209 | DSM 4.2-3250 | 2 x WD5000AAKS (RAID0) (syslog server)
  • USB Conceptronic CHD3NET | WD5000AAVS (Ext-4)
Corruption wears infinite disguises.
sjeph8je
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby thunderbird » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:33 pm

I use Synology products for more than 5 years. I had several "above expectations experiences" like replacement fan or cables sent quickly without a charge but my recent experiences are worse... They seem to have split the support, first you need to tell some low tec support guy that its not your fault and no optware has nothing to do with it and no I do not want to send all my dara across an unencrypted line and no I don't want to set up everything from scratch again
It's frustrating, but if you are lucky they escalate it and some more skilled guys will take care of it (after several days of waiting and a lot of mails). They will however often tell you that it will be fixed, but give neither a date nor an idea how to work around a bug.
I understand that there are a lot of users whom you need to tell the basics, but there needs to be a quicker way for those who know already and for those who time is critical.
In a nutshell: support was good but is now tailored for the simple user, there's no or just bad support for "power users"
thunderbird
Sharp
Sharp

Return to The Lounge