Torrent Client

Questions regarding modifying the torrent engine or download station may go here.
Forum rules
Please note the disclaimer before modifying your Synology Product.

Torrent Client

Postby jenskristian » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:14 am

I just bought a DS1511+, and so far everything is great except for one thing, the Download Station. It doesn't at all help me do the things I need from it as a torrent client. So I'm posting here in hope that some of you can help we find a solution.

I need the NAS to do the following without a computer even having to be turned on.
  • Check RSS feeds for a set of filters and download matches for each filter in a previously set folder. The folder is different for each filter. I know the download station has some of this functionality, but it doesn't work at all.
  • Being able to start download of a torrent from the RSS Feed or manually adding a torrent in the client. I'd like to be able to choose the folder where it's downloaded.

Is this possible? I tried installing Transmission, but couldn't get past the VI stuff since the file I was told to edit was readonly. If Transmission is the solution however I'll give it another try.

Thanks.
Synology DS1511+ | 5 x Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB | DSM 5.0-4458
jenskristian
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Torrent Client

Postby jenskristian » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:30 am

In the time it took to get this post approved I have successfully installed Transmission and Transmission Remote. The only thing missing now is having a client check RSS Feeds for a set filters and automatically download the torrents that match. Hope someone can here have a solution to that problem.
Synology DS1511+ | 5 x Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB | DSM 5.0-4458
jenskristian
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby maxxximilian » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:15 pm

I never tried it but Transmission Remote have RSS Downloader included as well, just add Rss Feeds from Options, Local Settings, Rss Feeds.
DS110J / DSM 3.1-1742 / Samsung HD155UI
maxxximilian
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby kerryandjane » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:47 pm

Whats wrong with the default Download Station? it does everything you listed
from filter RSS feeds....
Last edited by kerryandjane on Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
DS209+ 2 x 2TB HD's (2xWD20EARS-00S8B1)
running latest firmware DSM 4.2
SparkLAN CAS-371W IP Cam
iPhone 3GS with SynoDS
and slim PS3
Get tech or die trying
kerryandjane
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby Lerp » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:54 am

Hello.

That's exactly what i need.

How do you control download station remotely? Let's say you want to add a new torrent, with Download redirector?

Also, can you limit the upload speed in certain hours?

Thanks.
Lerp
Student
Student

Postby Lerp » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:56 am

I sent my message and i forgot to ask about another problem.

RSS feed will update every 1 hour, that's too much. Any way to reduce that to, let's say 10 minutes?

I saw a thread talking about reducing it to 5 min. through SSH, but it's a bit confusing for a new user like me. And there was a guy asking how could you check if that modified part is working, and no one answered yet.
Lerp
Student
Student

Postby kerryandjane » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Lerp wrote:I sent my message and i forgot to ask about another problem.

RSS feed will update every 1 hour, that's too much. Any way to reduce that to, let's say 10 minutes?

I saw a thread talking about reducing it to 5 min. through SSH, but it's a bit confusing for a new user like me. And there was a guy asking how could you check if that modified part is working, and no one answered yet.

Tis I the guy who wrote the initial code you're commenting on.
The code is tested through and through and it works.... this is a friendly community noones out to kill anothers hardware.... if you look at the view count and the amount of comments.... No comments is a good thing... if it didn't work people would have been cussing me out. Anyway to answer your other question.

Crontab is just a codey name for "Scheduled command running" and shouldn't be feared. You need to update your crontab file or someone else has to for you. Crontab is the only way to update your feed for less than the hour default.
All the code below does is add a line to the crontab file which runs the command "Update all RSS feeds every 5 minutes or i'll pour water on your harddrive".
Code: Select all
echo -e "*/5\t*\t*\t*\t*\t*\t/usr/syno/bin/synorsstool --updateall" >>/etc/crontab
/usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S04crond.sh stop
/usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S04crond.sh start

If you change the 5 to a 10 it'll do the obvious.

Are you at all familiar with SSH? if you're not and don't want to risk it PM me and i'll do it for you.... If i got time i'll help ya out.
SparkLAN CAS-371W IP Cam
iPhone 3GS with SynoDS
and slim PS3
Get tech or die trying
kerryandjane
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby Lerp » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:56 pm

kerryandjane wrote:Tis I the guy who wrote the initial code you're commenting on.
The code is tested through and through and it works.... this is a friendly community noones out to kill anothers hardware.... if you look at the view count and the amount of comments.... No comments is a good thing... if it didn't work people would have been cussing me out. Anyway to answer your other question.

Crontab is just a codey name for "Scheduled command running" and shouldn't be feared. You need to update your crontab file or someone else has to for you. Crontab is the only way to update your feed for less than the hour default.
All the code below does is add a line to the crontab file which runs the command "Update all RSS feeds every 5 minutes or i'll pour water on your harddrive".
echo -e "*/5\t*\t*\t*\t*\t*\t/usr/syno/bin/synorsstool --updateall" >>/etc/crontab

If you change the 5 to a 10 it'll do the obvious.

Are you at all familiar with SSH? if you're not and don't want to risk it PM me and i'll do it for you.... If i got time i'll help ya out.

Hello. So far i managed to install ipkg using SSH.

But i read about the crontab and creating files and i get lost. I think i need something like Midnight Commander to create files in an easy way. And create an user called crontab. I'm 1 day old in this Linux thing :)

Sorry if i offended you with my last comment, wasn't my intention.

I'm going to do more research about the crontab.

In cause i don't see the light at the end of the tunnel, I'll keep your offer in mind, thank you!
Lerp
Student
Student

Postby kerryandjane » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:23 am

No probs.

If you installed ipkg.... crontab is a sinch.
Crontab is a text file. You don't need Midnight Commander... or any other software. It's all built in.

You should check out "commands to get around the synology box" on the wiki. "vi commands" is what you're looking for.
http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... sing_vi.29
#the below code will create a backup of your crontab file and calls it "old.crontab" (just in case)
cp /etc/crontab /etc/old.crontab
#the below code opens the crontab file
vi /etc/crontab
#once opened, to edit simply press "i" without quotes
#the below code closes the file without saving changes.
:q!
#the below code closes the file and saves your changes
SparkLAN CAS-371W IP Cam
iPhone 3GS with SynoDS
and slim PS3
Get tech or die trying
kerryandjane
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby Lerp » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:00 am

kerryandjane wrote:No probs.

If you installed ipkg.... crontab is a sinch.
Crontab is a text file. You don't need Midnight Commander... or any other software. It's all built in.

You should check out "commands to get around the synology box" on the wiki. "vi commands" is what you're looking for.
http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... sing_vi.29
#the below code will create a backup of your crontab file and calls it "old.crontab" (just in case)
cp /etc/crontab /etc/old.crontab
#the below code opens the crontab file
vi /etc/crontab
#once opened, to edit simply press "i" without quotes
#the below code closes the file without saving changes.
:q!
#the below code closes the file and saves your changes

Thanks, gonna read all that and see what i can get :D

Edit:
I was getting a bit confused with the vi editor, so at the end i installed Midnight Commander. Added your code to: update feed rss every 10 minutes, checked crontab file and it was there. Restarted Synology, and it was gone, so i had to follow your step 2B (working perfectly).

Also installed your unrar script.

Many, many thanks!!

Edit2:
A question, if i want to add more lines to crontab and make them "permanent" after a restart, where should i paste the new things in your code:

kerryandjane wrote:b. Only if required: When I restarted my DS my crontab was overwritten so I created a script to to add it on startup. Paste the following code.

cd /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/
    cat <<EOF> S99rss.sh
    #!/bin/sh
    ------------ NEW LINES HERE? ------------------
    EOF
    chmod 777 S99rss.sh

Is that correct? Regards
Lerp
Student
Student

Return to Torrent Engines/Download Station Mods