It takes quite a bit of effort to make a well working SPK. So, if it works for you, please leave a note saying so. That's the least you can do to keep me motivated to maintain this.
Use it at your own risk. I (the author/packager) make no claims of implied or explicit warranty. The package is provided as is and you agree that I won't and can't be held liable for any damages or changes caused by the package to your property or anything else in this world. You also must provide this disclaimer to anyone who you provide this package to without sending them to this post.You agree to the disclaimer by downloading this package.
If you have problems with the SPK, don't PM me. Ask the questions here so that others can answer it or benefit from the answers. I will be ignoring all PMs regarding installation/configuration issues.
I released Syno-packager -- the tool I wrote to create these SPKs easily. If you are interested, then go to this post to learn more about it.
Download link: Transmission 2.13 - SPK 2.0.5.
Latest release date: Jan 1st 2011
Steps to install (upgrade instructions separate):
- Make sure you have DSM 2.3-1157 or above. Might work with earlier versions, but hasn't been tested.
- Enable user home services (Management UI -> Priviliges -> User home button above the user list).
- Pick the right SPK based on the architecture that corresponds to your NAS model (see below).
- Install it (Management UI -> System -> Package management -> Install button), but don't try to Run it yet.
- Add at least one user to the Transmission user list (list of users allowed to use Transmission):
- Login as root (admin) using SSH or Telnet.
- Run the following command: transmission-adduser <username> <webui port> <webui password>
- If you already had settings from a previous install, tranmission-adduser will NOT overwrite them. Add a "-f" option before the username if you want to force an overwrite.
- Usernames must match usernames used to log in to DSM.
- Webui port is used while accessing the Transmission UI or when using remote clients (say Apps in an Android phone) to control Transmission.
- Webui password should NOT be the same password that you use for DSM. Well, it can be, but is highly discouraged.
- Start the Transmission service (Management UI -> System -> Package management -> Choose the "Transmission" package -> Run button).
- Go to the Transmission URL, login and enjoy. If your NAS is accessible as 192.168.1.100 and you gave 9091 as port, then the Transmission URL would be http://192.168.1.100:9091.
- Adding a user to Transmission user list automatically creates a "transmission" folder under the user's home folder and makes that the default download directory. If you want to change it: Transmission Web UI -> Click the "Gear" button on the bottom left -> Preferences -> Change "Download to" -> Save.
These steps are only if you are upgrading from a previous SPK that I released. If you used some other means to install transmission before then please follow the install instructions mentioned above. Also, if you are not an expert, remember to force overwrite your old settings.
- Go to Management UI -> System -> Package management -> Upgrade button.
- Choose the new SPK and follow the instructions presented by the DSM.
- No more additional steps to do. No commands to run through SSH or Telnet login.
- You don't even need to stop the service before upgrading. Synology will automatically stop the service if it's running and start it again after the upgrade.
- Uninstall the old version.
- Install the new version.
- You also need to log in as root/admin using SSH/Telnet and add the users back to the Transmission user list using "transmission-adduser".
- Your old setting will NOT be overwritten. Although, when running transmission-adduser you will have to specify the webport, but that will be ignored too.
- Code: Select all
* 88f5281 DS107+, DS207+, CS407, RS407.
* ppc824x DS207, DS209j, CS407e.
* ppc853x DS109+, DS209+, DS209+II, DS409+, DS509+, RS409+, RS409RP+, DS410.
ppc854x DS408, DS508, RS408, RS408RP.
* 88f6281 DS109, DS209, DS409, DS409slim, RS409, DS110j, DS210j, DS410j.
* powerpc DS106j, DS107, DS107e, DS108j, DS109j.
* x86 DS411+, DS710+, DS1010+.
* - verified on a model by a user.
Verified models: DS106j, DS207+, DS108j, DS209j, DS209, DS209+II, DS409+, DS110j, DS210j, DS410, DS710+, DS411+. If your architecture or model is not listed as verified, and the SPK works for you, then please let me know.
- Easy to user helper scripts:
- transmission-adduser - Allows adding users to the transmission user list and also starting transmission in one shot.
- transmission-deluser - Allows removing the user from the transmission user list. Also has option to delete all transmission settings stored under the user home directory.
- transmission-setting - Allows changing the transmission settings for each user without having to edit files. Currently support "password" or "passwd", "dldir" or "downloaddir" and "port".
- Run all the above scripts without parameters to see usage help.
- Auto restart Transmission on crash. If it crashes within 5 mins of starting/restarting, then it won't be auto restarted. This is to avoid a continuous loop of crash and restarts.
- Create and set up default download dir.
- Easy upgrade option when newer SPKs are released.
- All x06 to x10 models have a matching SPK.
- More secure - No other user can view or overwrite your files and other users don't share a directory with you.
- Quick release of SPKs when new transmission versions are released. Thanks to the Syno-packager tool I wrote and open sourced (see above).
- Code: Select all
If you have any problems with this SPK, please let me know and I can pull down all the copies that I host (which is pretty much, none) and won't distribute it in the future. But I'm guessing you won't do it since it's pointless to release a 3rd party packages support and then hinder it.