2411+ mix drive taboo and advice please?

Check out if your hardware is compatible here!!
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

2411+ mix drive taboo and advice please?

Postby Vendril » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi all,

I've decided on a DS2411+ and am finally cashed up to order it this week. I currently have the following drives available and want to set them up in SHR2. My main use is video storage and streaming with some website hosting/testing. Private home use. Enterprise drives are way out my range.

Seagate Barracuda
4x 1TB (ST31000528AS) - on compatability list
4x 2TB (ST2000DL003) - on compatability list

I was recently looking at getting a few more 2TB Seagates but the only model from my regular supplier is the Barracuda 2TB (ST2000DM001) which is NOT on the synology list as of yet.

My second choice are these Hitachi Deskstar 2TB (HDS723020BLA642) drives which are on the compatability list. Although I have had mixed reports about them for noise and other issues.

1. Is it Taboo to mix brands of drives for a SHR2? Or just in general?
2. Is Hitachi any good? No personal experience so far as I have been extremely impressed with Seagate over the years.
2. Has anyone had experience with the new Seagates? The 3TB (ST3000DM001) models are on the list but not the 2TB ones for whatever reason.

Any other advice for a newbie? Thanks
DS2411+
DSM 4.2-3211
Vendril
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Hardware Compatibility Lists