soixante4 wrote:To all,
I sucessfullly managed to have my 2*Samsung HD204UI 2To recognized in my DS211j, without patching the disks because they are dated 12/2010.
Here is a summary of tips and tricks I got from nbaner (thanks mate!) and some others, with web links that works
1. Don't install the (unpatched) Samsung HD204UI on DS211 and power on/perform smart test!
2. IF FAB DATE OF HDD is >=12/2010 go to number 4! Made boot CD with Samsung patch using the .iso file made by HarryPotter, found in this thread on page 11: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=27905&start=150 Source fom Samsung (useless when using iso : http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b2b_bbs_msg_id=386)
3.Disconnect computer hard drive and connected the first Samsung hard drive, boot computer with above CD, apply patch, power off computer, and then repeat for second Samsung hard drive
(Note: While applying the patch once you see the successful message, you need to directly switch off PC from socket and not use any traditional shutdown method)
4. Install HD204UI first disk on Bay 1 of DS211. (The bay numbering is top down approach where top bay is bay 1 and bottom bay is bay 2).
5. Next through synology assistant install DSM3.0 (before doing that download the latest DSM version DSM3.0-1354 which is synology_88f6282_211_1354.pat available on synology download center.)
6. Reboot diskstation after DSM update.
7. Next download DS211 spin patch file synology_88f6282_211.pat through synology suppport link and update DSM. Here is the link that WORKS (login+pwd included) : ftp://on-line:email@example.com/on-line/DSM3.0/spinup/
8. Reboot diskstation after update
9. Next install your second HD204UI disk on DS211
10. Once booted up you should be fine and then you can do your checks through disk manager and also do the smart tests
11. You might find the first disk in state initialized but not the second. But don't worry. When you create the volume using the second disk this disk will be first initialized during volume creation and then the volume created.
12. Once the volume is created on both disks you will see the status on both disks same.
I am know struggling to have my Ubuntu accesing the disks, but I think I will survive.
Thanks VERY much for your help, your time and your kindness.
I stay tuned, I am sure to have some questions soon...see ya!
So whats the difference between the patch synology_88f6282_211.pat and the synology_88f6282_211j.pat? Seems like most people have the DS211J but say that you should download the synology_88f6282_211.pat?? Is this correct or just a typo?