Unable to set ACL permissions on share

All questions pertaining to Windows Active Directory Service can go here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Unable to set ACL permissions on share

Postby c5_convertible » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi,

I have created a couple of shared folders on my DS1511+, running the latest version of DSM.
I have enabled Windows ACL's so I could set individual rights to folders, and given my domain users and domain admins full control to it (I have a Windows 2008 R2 AD Domain).

Now (as I would normally do with Windows), I go to the root of the share I have just created by mapping it via windows explorer. My user account is a domain user (which should have full control, as that is what I selected when setting rights above)

I open the share. Then right click on the root folder (which is empty), then choose properties.
When I try to add a group to the list, and then press OK, I get an access denied message. If I create a folder there, that is possible. Setting permissions correctly on that folder, is also possible. It's just setting the correct ACL's on the root of the share, seems impossible.

How do I set the rights on root of the share? I am a Windows system engineer, so I know how to do these things on Windows servers (and I do that daily in my job), but the system that Synology uses eludes me a bit...

Thanks for any help.
c5_convertible
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Unable to set ACL permissions on share

Postby nett-zwerg » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:17 am

Hi,
I'm running into the same problems with my DS1511+ and DSM3.2
I followed these instructions to join the domain and set permissions to the DS's shared folders:
http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... ADS_Domain

Looking at the security permissions of the shared folder using windows explorer, there is only "everybody" as user group listed (with full permissions). Adding new groups to the list fails too.

Mapping the shared folders to the Clients works half way (drives have been mapped, files can be accessed) but downloaded files from the internet for example which have been stored on one of these mapped drives have NO security permissions listed. I can manually set these rights but that's not the point.

I have no idea if this is a common bug or if i'm too stupid (I'm network admin, too btw.).

If you have any hint to get this thing running properly, please tell me.

Greetings
Stefan
nett-zwerg
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby c5_convertible » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi,

In the end, I managed to get it working...

I logged on to a machine, using a local admin account (so, not a domain account).
Then, I mapped the share using the admin account of the DS. At that point, I was able to set rights on the root share, without getting errors.

It isn't a perfect system though...
c5_convertible
Trainee
Trainee

Postby nett-zwerg » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi, thanks for your response, i'll try that.
nett-zwerg
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Windows AD Domain