Noisy DS413

The general discussion room of 2013 Synology DiskStations.
Do not post support questions in this room, please refer to one of the rooms below for further assistance.
Forum rules
1-Use the Online NAS selector to find the right DiskStation!
http://www.synology.com/products/nas_se ... p?lang=enu

2-This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Noisy DS413

Postby aryfc » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:17 pm

I've just finished unpacking my new DS413 and moving my 2 WD 2TB green disks from my old model DS411j to this one. I am quite shocked as I believed I was getting a quieter system, but in reality, this new model is much noisier. I'm very sensitive to noise so I am certain this new system sounds a lot more than the old one (remember, same disks)as I was very pleased with the very low noise level in the DS411j while I can not stand the current one in the new DS413 unit. Now I'm wondering what to do as I can not have it this way and the unit was not directly cheap. I went with this DS413 mostly to get USB 3.0, e-SATA and the new system hibernation mode (faster CPU and more memory as a bonus).

I have changed the fan level from standard to the minimum but I don't hear any decrease in sound level.

I don't understand this as the DS413 should be quieter, 19.3 dB(A)instead of 21.7 dB(A)for the DS411j.

Is there someone from Synology who could comment on this?

Any users that have made a similar change as I did who can share their experiences?
aryfc
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Noisy DS413

Postby scorpionro » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:07 am

I also didn't like the noise levels of the DS413, but I've managed to easily solve them by editing the scemd.xml config file ( there are plenty on discussions on the forum about that file ). One last advice is to also change the fan speed for the hibernation as it was way too loud for me ( you can safely enter something like 7@20Hz instead of the default ULTRA_LOW, but it all depends on your ambient temperature and the number of drives, so be careful with these settings to ensure that you get adequate cooling for the NAS ).
DS413 | 4 x WD30EFRX
scorpionro
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby hki » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:41 am

scorpionro wrote:I also didn't like the noise levels of the DS413, but I've managed to easily solve them by editing the scemd.xml config file ( there are plenty on discussions on the forum about that file ). One last advice is to also change the fan speed for the hibernation as it was way too loud for me ( you can safely enter something like 7@20Hz instead of the default ULTRA_LOW, but it all depends on your ambient temperature and the number of drives, so be careful with these settings to ensure that you get adequate cooling for the NAS ).

I recently got DS413 as well and the fans definitely need slowing down. Could you please post the contents of your scemd.xml file here (or the lines that you changed) so we could see what values work for you?
hki
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby scorpionro » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm

This is the config I use:

<fan_config period="20" threshold="6" type="DUAL_MODE_LOW" hibernation_speed="7%20hz">
<disk_temperature fan_speed="7%20hz" action="NONE">0</disk_temperature>
<disk_temperature fan_speed="10%20hz" action="NONE">40</disk_temperature>
<disk_temperature fan_speed="15%20hz" action="NONE">45</disk_temperature>
<disk_temperature fan_speed="40%40hz" action="NONE">50</disk_temperature>
<disk_temperature fan_speed="60%40hz" action="NONE">53</disk_temperature>
<disk_temperature fan_speed="99%40hz" action="NONE">56</disk_temperature>
<disk_temperature fan_speed="99%40hz" action="SHUTDOWN">61</disk_temperature>

<temperature fan_speed="7%20hz" action="NONE">0</temperature>
<temperature fan_speed="10%20hz" action="NONE">40</temperature>
<temperature fan_speed="99%40hz" action="NONE">58</temperature>
<temperature fan_speed="99%40hz" action="SHUTDOWN">60</temperature>
</fan_config>

My ambient temperature is around 22C and with this config the system got to a maximum of 37C and the HDD got to a maximum of 34C.
DS413 | 4 x WD30EFRX
scorpionro
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby hki » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:43 pm

Thanks! I will try it out when I have all set up correctly.
hki
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby hki » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:35 am

The above values work really well. The temps are fine. Thanks again.
hki
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Hanzoy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:10 pm

Sorry to hijack this post. I have the same problem, but I'm new to this ssh stuff. How do you get in an edit that file? Could anyone give me a step by step guide? Have downloaded putty and connected to my Synology, but what to do next? Couldn't find anything in the wiki on how to navigate.
Hanzoy
Rookie
Rookie

Postby CLoSeR » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:27 pm

The DS413 is my first Synology NAS, I have WD RED drives in it and I find it's whisper quiet..

Perhaps it's just my other equipment in the rack is louder.
DS413 / DSM 4.1-2657 / 3 x WD30EFRX SHR
CLoSeR
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Xennex » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:43 am

I don't own a Synology yet, but you could probably use the editor pico (it might also be called nano).

If the path to the file is /usr/syno/etc/scemd.xml then you can simply edit it by issueing:

pico /usr/syno/etc/scemd.xml

alternatively, you can navigate to it by saying

cd /usr/syno/etc/

and then editing it with

pico scemd.xml

Once in the editor, you just need to know two commands: CTRL-X to exit, and CTRL-O to save. If you exit without saving, it will ask you to save anyway. This is your easiest option.

The standard editor "vi" would require more explanation.

The path to the file might also be, /usr/syno/etc.defaults/scemd.xml

I leave it to someone else to explain which one you need to edit.
Xennex
Trainee
Trainee

Postby WetMacula » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:14 pm

Need a little help. Have a DS413 with 4 drives and it is a little too loud for me. Data is continuously being accessed so it never goes into hibernation. Not fluent in linux but used vi to modify the scemd to match the profile above. I don't understand the relationship between the "DUAL_MODE_HIGH", "DUAL_MODE_LOW" and the 3 fan options in the GUI. I set it to QUIET in DSM and modified the "DUAL_MODE_LOW" paragraph as shown below. Rebooted the NAS and the fan speed did not change. Can someone guide me through this please?

Code: Select all
<scemd>
        <fan_config period="20" threshold="6" type="DUAL_MODE_HIGH" hibernation_speed="ULTRA_LOW">
                        <disk_temperature fan_speed="18%40hz" action="NONE">0</disk_temperature>
                        <disk_temperature fan_speed="23%40hz" action="NONE">30</disk_temperature>
                        <disk_temperature fan_speed="31%40hz" action="NONE">35</disk_temperature>
                        <disk_temperature fan_speed="40%40hz" action="NONE">41</disk_temperature>
                        <disk_temperature fan_speed="60%40hz" action="NONE">46</disk_temperature>
                        <disk_temperature fan_speed="99%40hz" action="NONE">51</disk_temperature>

<temperature fan_speed="23%40hz" action="NONE">0</temperature>
                        <temperature fan_speed="60%40hz" action="NONE">43</temperature>
        </fan_config>
        <fan_config period="20" threshold="6" type="DUAL_MODE_LOW" hibernation_speed="7%20hz">
                        <disk_temperature fan_speed="7%20hz" action="NONE">0</disk_temperature>
                        <disk_temperature fan_speed="10%20hz" action="NONE">40</disk_temperature>
                        <disk_temperature fan_speed="15%20hz" action="NONE">45</disk_temperature>
                        <disk_temperature fan_speed="40%40hz" action="NONE">50</disk_temperature>
                        <disk_temperature fan_speed="60%40hz" action="NONE">53</disk_temperature>

<temperature fan_speed="7%20hz" action="NONE">0</temperature>
                        <temperature fan_speed="10%20hz" action="NONE">40</temperature>
        </fan_config>
   <fan_config period="20" threshold="6" type="DUAL_MODE_LOW_STOP" hibernation_speed="ULTRA_LOW">
                <disk_temperature fan_speed="18%40hz" action="NONE">0</disk_temperature>
                <disk_temperature fan_speed="23%40hz" action="NONE">35</disk_temperature>
                <disk_temperature fan_speed="31%40hz" action="NONE">40</disk_temperature>
                <disk_temperature fan_speed="40%40hz" action="NONE">46</disk_temperature>
                <disk_temperature fan_speed="60%40hz" action="NONE">51</disk_temperature>

<temperature fan_speed="18%40hz" action="NONE">0</temperature>
                <temperature fan_speed="60%40hz" action="NONE">43</temperature>
        </fan_config>
WetMacula
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby cfuttrup » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:30 pm

CLoSeR wrote:The DS413 is my first Synology NAS, I have WD RED drives in it and I find it's whisper quiet..

Just got my DS413 today and installed 2 x 3TB WD Red disks. I can put my ear in a distance of about one foot and barely hear anything (and no, I am not deaf - I work in the audio industry and have excellent hearing).

This statement is made while the DS413 is in the middle of transferring 1 TB of data from my old DS207+ and I guarantee the disks are working ...

/Claus
cfuttrup
Ace
Ace

Postby scorpionro » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:19 am

You need to edit both /usr/syno/etc.defaults/scemd.xml and /usr/syno/etc/scemd.xml
DS413 | 4 x WD30EFRX
scorpionro
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Hanzoy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:01 am

Xennex wrote:I don't own a Synology yet, but you could probably use the editor pico (it might also be called nano).

If the path to the file is /usr/syno/etc/scemd.xml then you can simply edit it by issueing:

pico /usr/syno/etc/scemd.xml

alternatively, you can navigate to it by saying

cd /usr/syno/etc/

and then editing it with

pico scemd.xml

Once in the editor, you just need to know two commands: CTRL-X to exit, and CTRL-O to save. If you exit without saving, it will ask you to save anyway. This is your easiest option.

The standard editor "vi" would require more explanation.

The path to the file might also be, /usr/syno/etc.defaults/scemd.xml

I leave it to someone else to explain which one you need to edit.

Thank you Xennex :) . Figured out that is was a hard drive failure.
Hanzoy
Rookie
Rookie

Postby aryfc » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks scorpionro, the published values made the unit silent while keeping the temperature down.
However, the unit does not seem to hibernate any more?
aryfc
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby catsij » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:13 pm

Is this possible? Do i read what I read? On my calendar its 2013... And here you guys FIDDLE WITH CONFIGURATION FILES! Becuase a product engineer and a company is not able to make a desent product? A product which just totally fails....? Am i dreaming....?!?

The two fans are running, no matter how deep the plastic sleeps! And, that makes noise! More noise, than i want in MY home...I have furniture in my home, not pigs around. And, just to be clear, there is nothing wrong with the fans; its just making a hell of a lot toooooo much nose; because they should NOT have been running at all, when the whole cabinett and disks and all the rest of us are sleeping.....!!!!!!

Actualle i wanted to exchange a windows server with this one. Because of noise.. Now the 413 is on top of the homemade windows server, and is making much more noise than the windows machine. All the time. The two fans are running continously, no matter how DEEP sleep the bear is sleeping. Stay away from this.... This crap goes back to where it belongs..

[inappropriate content: please respect other users]

Im shocked, that noone mentioned the extreme noise (at night, the noice of two ventilators are extreme, when its just soooo unneccesary....an engineer making such a product would be sacked on the day in my company).... Are all in here nerds?

Altering configuartion files....wake up guys!! Send this product back to where it should be.....
catsij
I'm New!
I'm New!

Next

Return to 2013 Synology DiskStation Hardware Discussion