DiskManager DSM 4.0 2219 Is here

An update of DSM 4.0 that includes: Enhanced Samba protocol security, notification event for UPS safe mode, USB Copy with iPhone, and stability of AFP file protocol.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Re: DiskManager DSM 4.0 2219 Is here

Postby susanjones » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:16 pm

vgeorgiev wrote:the HDD write cache can not be enabled any more and the check box in write cache support is inactive (but still checked) and there is some error message stating Failed to enable write cache. The write cache is disabled to maintain system stability. I didn't changed the disks and it is was working with the previous version of DSM. Have DS1812+.

i'm also seeing the write cache disabled error and it was working fine previously. ds1512+ here with wd green drives. anyone found a solution?
susanjones
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Willem52 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Please read also:
viewtopic.php?f=197&t=48093
which gives more information.
Synology DS-109 - DSM 3.2-1955
Does perfectly what it should do!
Willem52
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby microkid » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:53 pm

susanjones wrote:
vgeorgiev wrote:the HDD write cache can not be enabled any more and the check box in write cache support is inactive (but still checked) and there is some error message stating Failed to enable write cache. The write cache is disabled to maintain system stability. I didn't changed the disks and it is was working with the previous version of DSM. Have DS1812+.

i'm also seeing the write cache disabled error and it was working fine previously. ds1512+ here with wd green drives. anyone found a solution?

This is getting ridiculous. I got myself large 2TB green disks with 64MB cache to cope with the slower speed, and now Synology disables this cache, without any valid reason, resulting is less performance. I will trade in my Synology for a QNAP pretty soon now.
DS1010+ | 3 x WD RED 3TB in SHR | DSM 5.0-4482 | VMware ESXi 5.5 via NFS
microkid
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby jmacd27 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:28 pm

microkid wrote:
susanjones wrote:

This is getting ridiculous. I got myself large 2TB green disks with 64MB cache to cope with the slower speed, and now Synology disables this cache, without any valid reason, resulting is less performance. I will trade in my Synology for a QNAP pretty soon now.

Have fun with your Qnap and their file system bug.
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... &start=360

I was just about to buy a Qnap when I discovered the 25 page thread on their forums about this bug that slows the NAS down as it fills up. From my brief read of the thread, it seems this has been an ongoing problem with no guarenteed end in site.

I'm glad I bought a DS1512+, although I read about the problems with the WD drives and bought Seagate drives that have the cache enabled.
jmacd27
Trainee
Trainee

Postby tjkaz » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:30 am

Same here with my 211j. I had the box checked and working for both of my WD green drives previously, but now they are checked and grayed out with the same red font message noted above.
Performed a LAN Speed Test and compared with prior results. Had about a 2% drop in write throughput performance and had about a 2% increase in read performance. I'd say plus or minus 2% is probably w/in the error bound of the test so I can't say that there's much of a difference in performance. But, this is a simple test with one large (5GB) file and my sense is that with a more intensive random read/write test suite will have a different result. Since I use my NAS for backup and as a media server to stream videos to TV/media players, I don't think I will see any performance issues. We shall see....
Synology DS-211j | DSM 4.3-3810,U2| 1 x WD20EARS 1 x WD30EZRSDTL
tjkaz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Kisch » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:51 am

If you want have cache enabled, you have to edit scemd.xml file and delete "cache off" part at the end. It works fine for me.
DS-214 | DSM 5.0-4493 update 2| 2 x 3TB 3.5" Seagate NAS
Kisch
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby keepitwarm » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:55 pm

Updating to this on my DS1511+ seems to have disabled the permissions for any non admin users, trying to copy files to folders, i have reset their permissions, but still returns the error, they do not have enough privilege, even the same when i create new ones,

Very frustating, has anyone got any ideas, it was fine on the last build.

Ok, edit.

I used to have disable file downloading ticked all the time and people could still copy from folder to folder, now unless i have that Disabled(unticked and not ticked) they cannot copy, before they could not copy if Disable modification of existing was ticked.

Sorry this is confusing, my understanding was disable downloading, stopped people from downloading, not copy from one folder in the Dsm to another, e.g. a usb drive.

DS1511+
keepitwarm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Willem52 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:56 am

If you have made a configuration backup from the previous DSM version,
put it back and recheck after reboot.
Synology DS-109 - DSM 3.2-1955
Does perfectly what it should do!
Willem52
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby keepitwarm » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:47 pm

Willem52 wrote:If you have made a configuration backup from the previous DSM version,

Will give that a try thanks, as the guest account seems to Partially stopped working as well, i say partially as some folders load and others give an error, even though they all have the same persmissions, and work fine with another user and password.

DS1511+
keepitwarm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby gd11_be » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:01 am

planetbrian wrote:All good here. Speed increased to 5 terrabytes per second. J/K All is good though.

:D :D That is a massive speed upgrade to 5 terrabytes per second :mrgreen:
iMac - 2.8 - i7 - 16GB - Lion
iTouch - 32 GB - iOS 5.0.01
MacBook Pro Early 2008 - 2.4
MacBook Air i5 128 GB SSD
MacBook Pro i5 Early 2011 - 2.3
iPad 16 GB & iPad2 16 GB - iOS 5.0.1
Apple TV1 - #Leia / Apple TV2 - #DarthVader
Onkyo TX-NR708 / Technics - SL 1200 MKII (Vinyl still rules)
Synology DS211 - DSM 4.1 - #R2D2 / Synology DS209J - DSM 4.1 - #SkyWalker
Xbox 360 - Black LE
Mission 774 (F&R) + 7 (C) / Mission Sub / B&W Zeppelin Air - #HanSolo
gd11_be
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby keepitwarm » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:14 am

keepitwarm wrote:
Willem52 wrote:If you have made a configuration backup from the previous DSM version,

Will give that a try thanks, as the guest account seems to Partially stopped working as well, i say partially as some folders load and others give an error, even though they all have the same persmissions, and work fine with another user and password.

I tried, looks like it has now reverted to a Lion 10.7 issue. user and password connect fine.

Guest account does not connect now i did notice after i upgraded, that the Mac File service was disabled, i enabled it.

Guest could connect, to "folder 1,folder 2, and Folder 3 fine before without password

Guest before would i redid the settings as suggested, would connect to "new folder" but not to previous folder 1,2 and 3, returns with error : original item cannot be found when i try to mount them using either afp, or smb.

Its odd, i mean its not a big deal as i just created a user password, for the user that was using the guest account. I have tried everything i could think of, cleared all the cache's from the mac's turned off and back on all the switches and routers. Enabled and disable the guest account, changed and unchanged permissions etc.

Never ever has this issue since DSM 3.0 or even the jump to lion, which i read lots of people do.

Ho hum, any help from anyone would be grateful, more because its annoying than not working, as it should

DS1511+
keepitwarm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby microkid » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:21 pm

jmacd27 wrote:Have fun with your Qnap and their file system bug.
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... &start=360

I was just about to buy a Qnap when I discovered the 25 page thread on their forums about this bug that slows the NAS down as it fills up. From my brief read of the thread, it seems this has been an ongoing problem with no guarenteed end in site.

I'm glad I bought a DS1512+, although I read about the problems with the WD drives and bought Seagate drives that have the cache enabled.

Well. I did some testing. I decided to take the plunge and modify the scemd.xml to re-enable the disk cache. Before I did, I did some measurements, and also afterwards. I did 2 tests: one with the 11GB \windows\installer directory, and one with a 7GB file.

Disk cache disabled:
Installer from PC to NAS: 67MB/sec
Large file from PC to NAS: 90.7MB/sec
Installer from NAS to PC: 53MB/sec
Large file from NAS to PC: 60MB/sec

Disk cache enabled:
Installer from PC to NAS: 67MB/sec
Large file from PC to NAS: 90.4MB/sec
Installer from NAS to PC: 51MB/sec
Large file from NAS to PC: 63MB/sec

So, no significant differences. It seems the Synology onboard memory handles most caching on reading and writing. The disk cache doesn't make the write speeds any faster.

(And yes, the read speeds are way tooo slow and should approach 90MB/sec. I already contacted Synology on this.)
microkid
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby wakebrdr549 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:15 am

HP 5440 printer no longer works.... after upgrade. It will print a test page from the control panel, but after hours of removing,reinstalling and cussing... it still wont print from any of my pc's

Is there a formal place to submit bugs like this?
wakebrdr549
Rookie
Rookie

Postby microkid » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:20 am

wakebrdr549 wrote:Is there a formal place to submit bugs like this?

Yes: https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
microkid
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Danmarc » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:03 pm

On my DS211 the write cache is still usable: I can enable or disable it without problem.
HDD are 2 Samsung HD103SJ of 1Tb each.
Danmarc
Experienced
Experienced

PreviousNext

Return to DiskStation Manager 4.0 - 2219