Strange behavior for .SynologyWorkingDirectory

Discussion room for Synology Cloud Station package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Strange behavior for .SynologyWorkingDirectory

Postby Sharpless » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:04 pm

I've encountered a strange behavior when using CloudStation. For me, and another account on the DS211 we are using, the .SynologyWorkingDirectory takes up lot of space. I have problem doing "ls" on it, but "ls -la" in the CloudStation folder gives the following:
Code: Select all
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root     738398208 Jun  4 12:39 .SynologyWorkingDirectory

And total disk usage is at the moment about 130GB more than it should be.
Sharpless
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Strange behavior for .SynologyWorkingDirectory

Postby Sharpless » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:31 pm

I deleted all files, and started the service again. Checked the CloudStation/.SynologyWorkingDirectory and stopped the service as soon I saw that the problem had occured. This time though, I did a ls -l, the result looking like this:

Code: Select all
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Jun 16 17:17 zyPrsN
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Jun 16 17:17 zycQxR
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Jun 16 17:18 zyqov9
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Jun 16 17:18 zzDA0q
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Jun 16 17:17 zzYPCD
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Jun 16 17:17 zzaPof
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Jun 16 17:18 zzcnRH
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Jun 16 17:18 zzfvHn
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Jun 16 17:18 zziviz
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Jun 16 17:17 zzrmiT
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Jun 16 17:17 zzx1Lh
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Jun 16 17:18 zzy5ma

I have a larger textfile, something like just 2 MB in case someone wants to see more of those folders.
Sharpless
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby PITS » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:53 pm

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. A whole bunch of folders are being created in the .SynologyWorkingDirectory. Over 100'000 directory created in less then 5 minutes. I noticed this problem whilst trying to copy a simple file over to the NAS (212+) and recieving an error message saying that no more space was available on the NAS ! (reality is, more than 300GB are still available !). Anyhow, I checked out the .SynologyWorkingDirectory and also found a bunch of folders like the ones you mentionned in your post. I can't even "ls" the directory because there are so many things to list that it simply takes forever to display anything. Furthermore I uninstalled the Cloudstation from the NAS and issued a "rm -rf" on the .SynologyWorkingDirectory. It's been 5 days now and the folder is still getting emptied. humhum !

I guess Cloudstation created these phony/tmp folders in .SynologyWorkingDirectory and sucked up all of the available inodes on the filesystem hence, displaying the "outs of space" error message.

I understand that Cloudstation is in Beta and I will therefore wait for an offical release or an update to try this service again. Until then could the support team please give me a solution for deleting "rapidly" the .SynologyWorkingDirectory.

Thank you
PITS
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Sharpless » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:51 pm

I managed to remove all the directories created, reinstalled CloudStation and the problem was gone for a a week or two, but now it reoccured.

Any ideas why this happens?
Sharpless
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Cloud Station