DS-207+ and GMail - Is it possible?

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

DS-207+ and GMail - Is it possible?

Postby portal » Thu May 01, 2008 9:44 am

I have tried several combination's in my attempt to use GMAil as the notification e-mail in the DS207+ setup. I have failed to get it propoerly working. I amusing the gmail smtp address smtp.gmail.com, my GMail user name and password.

Is there a workaround for this? Appreciate any help I can get
portal
Experienced
Experienced

Re: DS-207+ and GMail - Is it possible?

Postby newton » Thu May 01, 2008 1:02 pm

Hi - I haven't tried this on my DS207+, yet (I might, when I have time later today) but I have set up local email clients to use the gmail smtp server. According to gmail's help here: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=76150 the smtp server is gmail.smtp.com. If you haven't already done so, you might try setting up a local client on your computer to make sure that works from your location. Have you already tried your ISP's smtp server from the DS207+ to make sure the setting on the DS207+, firewall, etc. are working (so that you can rule out the problem being unrelated to gmail)?

I'll get back to you later if I get a chance to try this (probably tonight after work).
newton
Novice
Novice

Postby Franklin » Thu May 01, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi portal

I believe you need to set the Synology system to use port 465/enable SSL Authentication to use gmail.

Hope this helps
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby portal » Fri May 02, 2008 11:40 pm

Franklin,

This worked. Synology can now send e-mails using GMail account.

Thanks
Imran
portal
Experienced
Experienced

Return to System Management