DS-207+ and GMail - Is it possible?

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

DS-207+ and GMail - Is it possible?

Postby portal » Thu May 01, 2008 9:44 am

I have tried several combination's in my attempt to use GMAil as the notification e-mail in the DS207+ setup. I have failed to get it propoerly working. I amusing the gmail smtp address smtp.gmail.com, my GMail user name and password.

Is there a workaround for this? Appreciate any help I can get
portal
Experienced
Experienced

Re: DS-207+ and GMail - Is it possible?

Postby newton » Thu May 01, 2008 1:02 pm

Hi - I haven't tried this on my DS207+, yet (I might, when I have time later today) but I have set up local email clients to use the gmail smtp server. According to gmail's help here: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=76150 the smtp server is gmail.smtp.com. If you haven't already done so, you might try setting up a local client on your computer to make sure that works from your location. Have you already tried your ISP's smtp server from the DS207+ to make sure the setting on the DS207+, firewall, etc. are working (so that you can rule out the problem being unrelated to gmail)?

I'll get back to you later if I get a chance to try this (probably tonight after work).
newton
Novice
Novice

Postby Franklin » Thu May 01, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi portal

I believe you need to set the Synology system to use port 465/enable SSL Authentication to use gmail.

Hope this helps
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby portal » Fri May 02, 2008 11:40 pm

Franklin,

This worked. Synology can now send e-mails using GMail account.

Thanks
Imran
portal
Experienced
Experienced

Return to System Management