Email Sender

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Email Sender

Postby SkyRaider » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:17 pm

NOT ABOUT MAILSTATION - ABOUT EMAIL NOTIFICATION.
Post was moved here my some admin....

Hi!

Used a bit of time searching and found similiar topics, but never answered, or the answerer misunderstood the real question. So I thought I'd drop a line and see if we can't get an answer or atleast an understanding of the question at large :)

Last summer I bought my own domain, tough since I have not opened the Diskstation to the world, only the other way around I do not host it myself. I also created a mail account for the diskstation to use, with the regular autoresponse, and the discard all oncomming mails stuff.

As I understand it the Diskstation sends through the account I spessify inn the SMTP settings, however it uses the preliminary email as sender. I use a gmail account personally, and it really doesn't like getting mail sent from someone else ( my NAS ) as itself. Thus all mails from the diskstation just happens to end up in the spam filter with a warning for fraud. Ofc I know it isn't cause the mail reports exacty what happened, and arrives when I press the button in the admin console to send the mail. :?

I suppose I'm lacking a setting or some varible, probably in the Unix system of the NAS to fill in something else than the preliminary email as the sender adress. Or to be spessific, where it says that the preliminary IS the sender adress.

Anybody found something like that ? 8)

Thanks in advance.
Roger
SkyRaider
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Email Sender

Postby obertaud » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:59 am

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem and was wondering if it was not using the email supplied at the initial setup when we define the name of the server?
Have you made any progress?
Regards,
Olivier
obertaud
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby gla » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Guys, I've been banging my head on the wall for quite a while before finally understanding how e-mail notification works on DSM and I find it super annoying that DSM (even latest and greatest version 4.0) sends notification e-mails setting the sender of the e-mail to be the exact same as the recipient!
The result of this smart move is that most e-mail servers receiving these e-mails will mark it as spam/fraud!!
I'm amazed that this issue is still unsolved after all these years!

Wanna know how I managed to work around the issue?
I set up a GMail filter that Applies label "MySynoBox" and never sends to spam e-mails containing "DS211j:" in the subject (that's what I entered in the "Subject prefix" field of the notification settings).
gla
Beginner
Beginner

Postby TehDuffman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:37 pm

This needs to be fixed. Does anyone have a work around? Our helpdesk refuses to take these emails because it will not accept an email from "itself." Anyone know off a way to change the "Sent From" address?
TehDuffman
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Eideen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:53 pm

+1

Would love to specified who the sender is.
DS412+ / DSM 4.2-3161 / 4 x ST3000DM001-9YN1 (SHR1)/LACP
cyberpower BS650E, 1x1,5TB external drive, 1x500GB external drive for backup.
Dir-655, DGS-1008D and a GS108v3
Apps: PLEX, cloud-, download station,DNS-, DHCP-, VPN server, web services, symform and HAproxy.
Eideen
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby LastChanc » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi,

Found this post trying to work out where I was going wrong with the system. Practically convinced it was my fault I'd misconfigured something but thanks to you guys (and consulting the user manual) I can once again relax knowing it wasn't me...

I have found one way to change the from address, although it's not pretty, as I wanted it from an account on the box rather than from myself. The solution was to have the sender account as the primary email and the actual receiving account as the secondary.

Plus side - email appears to have come from the first address.
Down side - primary address gets spammed with all the notifications too.

The down side can be easily enough eliminated by the use of mailbox rules to just bin the mail.

Finally, I noticed as I had it sending to gmail, even though it was now from another source other than my own email address I still had to add the source email address to my contacts list to prevent it being seen as spam due to the contents of the mail.

Hope this dirty fix helps someone until Synology sort it properly.

Regards,

Darren
Regards,

Darren

Q) how many mice does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A) just 2, but the problem is squeezing them in there.
LastChanc
Novice
Novice

Postby yozh » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:51 pm

Was this ever fixed ? Because my SS emails are now going to spam and marked as not form the real sender. Anyone know how to fix this ?
yozh
Beginner
Beginner

Return to System Management