How important is hibernation with Sonos? [merged thread]

All questions regarding system hibernation may be placed here. Thanks!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

How important is hibernation with Sonos? [merged thread]

Postby Russ1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:31 pm

I've had many NAS drives, mostly serving audio via Sonos. I'd rather have instant access at any time...so to cut a long story short, apart from saving money and the planet, what are the likely repercussions ?
Russ1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: How important is hibernation ?

Postby Waldo120 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:59 pm

There are some drives (I've heard Western Digital green label) that can't come back from hibernation.

You could always test it first before relying on it later.

The green label is taken by some people as enviromental, so you'd think it would be good at this. But apparently it just means not Black Label, which is a better HD.
DS 211j (for home)
Waldo120
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hibernation DS211j?

Postby flyjat76 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi all...

With my laptop switched off, my DS211j never goes into hibernation. Anyone have any idea whay this should be? For info, I do have a SONOS wireless music system on at all times (but not always playing music). I have 2 mapped drives too with all of my music (for SONOS to access) & photos, using the default music & photos folders.

Will it harm the unit with the disks spinning round 24 hours a day?

Thankyou!
flyjat76
I'm New!
I'm New!

SONOS and DS211j - Hibernate setting?

Postby Midnight Blue » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:06 pm

I recently switched from a Plextor NAS to a DS211j. The NAS stores my entire digital music library which is accessed by my SONOS multi-room wireless music system (www.sonos.com). With the Plextor NAS, SONOS was always able to start playing music immediately. With the DS211j, the SONOS controller often reports that it cannot find the music library. It seems that the time it takes to come out of hibernation is too long and SONOS simply thinks it cannot connect. Once the 211j spins back up, I can successfully use the system.

The hiberntion time is currently set to 1 hour. What are the downsides to setting hibernation to None? All I want is for my music library to be accessible from the SONOS by simply pressing play. Having to wait for drive spin-ups is sometimes confusing to my kids who also use the system.

Am I barking up the right tree? Is this the hibernation setting that is causing my problems?

Thanks.
Midnight Blue
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: How important is hibernation with Sonos? [merged thread]

Postby maxxfi » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:48 am

Apart of a little higher energy consumption, I don't think there are other downsides with disabling hibernation.
With modern disks (and average lifetime of appliances :wink: ) there is no issues with leaving a disk
spinning idle, provided that temperature stays under control.
Certainly you can first try to disable hibernation, and see if it solves your problem.
If you are using your NAS also for something else, then you can later try e.g. to set hibernation to a longer time,
and make it so that some other, less pedantic, NAS client would always happen to 'wake up' your NAS before any
attempt to access from the Sonos.
DS-411 (DSM 4.3-3827u5) w/ 2x WD20EFRX + 1x WD10EFRX
DS-106j (DSM 3.0-1357), PATA-to-SATA adapter, 2.5" HM250HI
maxxfi
Programmer
Programmer

Return to Hibernation Room