Noisy DS211

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Noisy DS211

Postby Erik-a-Danish-guy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:00 am

Have now had a DS211 running for allmost 14 days, and the airflow-fan is driven me crazy.
It makes a sound like a litle turbine, not so laud but always to hear.
The fan brings the entire DS to microvibrate and the furniture even makes this sound louder.
Thinking about moving the DS to my basement ;-(

Any advise will be apreciatet
Regards

Erik

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DS211 + 2 x 1TB Seagate barracuda LP5900 // ASUS computing and network.
Erik-a-Danish-guy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Noisy DS211

Postby Thrutchy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:00 am

Hello, newbie here. I also have just purchased a DS211 and the fan noise is stupidly loud. A droning sound similar to an idling two-stoke moped. Sometimes low, sometime higher pitched, depending upon the load. A royal pain.

Just for fun, I measured the dB(a) sound level, using the iphone - admittedly not a scientific test - and the result.....an' Leq' (average) of 47.8 decibels, (a) weighted. Now, that's not significantly loud in a busy commercial office environment, but it's almost 5 times as loud as the promotional blurb from Synology and in my home, where the DS211 needs to be left turned on all the time, it's far too noisy. Difficult to concentrate, when working in the same room and a gently nagging hum audible through the wall in the adjoining bedroom. Interrupting Sleep. For Me. And The Wife. (Very bad!).

In fact, I have a small conventional server at work that's quieter than the DS211. Compared to my previous Apple Time Capsule, (which was quiet, but prone to operating temperatures that could fry an egg), and compared to other NAS servers owned by acquaintances of mine, (older QNAP and Netgear), it's fan noise seems much, much louder. I have only owned this unit for a few days, and am now quite prepared to throw it out of the window.

So, I would like to know, before I take it back for a refund or replacement - Is this normal?

Are all DS211 units supposed to make this incessant humming noise? I have never owned a Synology NAS before so I don't know. Is it a faulty fan motor? Or a consequence of negligent design and marketing lies by Synology? Either way, I am not happy with the Synology DS211 and don't have time to mess around voiding the warranty to attempt to replace the fan - if indeed that is practicable. And, it might still make the humming sound after all that. Who knows?

As for Erik-a-Danish guy, I admire your perseverance to last 14 days before complaining. It must be driving you insane. I'm afraid I can't help you, as we are both in the same boat. However, my approach will be - 24 more hours to let the fan settle down - if it still hums - take out the hard drives and return the unit to the point of sale. If they don't accept it back, get the big hammer from the shed.....

DSM 3.0 seems such an easy to use operating system and I was looking forward to all the wonderful tricks the DS211 can perform - and kind of does already, but it doesn't matter if the hardware is unreliable trash.
Thrutchy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Thrutchy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:42 pm

Update : Regarding the DS211. Horrible Fan Noise.

Took it back for a replacement today and following a heated discussion with the un-cooperative customer services at my local retailer - they passed it to their NAS guy who agreed the unit was faulty. Definitely a duff fan. Oh, and apparently this was not the only case of such a fault they had seen on the DS211, although they had not actually sold that many. I Agreed a replacement unit, but, alas, there were none left in stock and none were on order for the forseeable future. Oh well.

So I stumped up the extra cash and haggled a bit to get a good deal on the DS411+, (overkill for the home possibly), more than 25% off RRP. So far, this seems to be be a much more solid unit, much better build quality, as indeed it should be, given the extra cost.

Fingers crossed for no more problems. No more annoying drone and as long as the wife sleeps well, all should be OK. Touchwood. Again.
Thrutchy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Erik-a-Danish-guy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:11 am

Hi there, and thank you very much for your interrest in my case.
Just got an e-mail from Synology support. They offer me a replacement fan.
I have to install it myself, but thats ok with me, so I dont have to sendt the DS for repair.
Im looking forward to that new fan and hopes the best, otherwise the "hammer-methode" would be tempting.

Regards from DK
Regards

Erik

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Erik-a-Danish-guy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby DarkKnight388 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:58 pm

It is "good" to see that I am not the only one that finds the fan in the DS211 rather loud. I really like the DS211 software wise, but the fan is just too loud for a bedroom. Guess I'll also contact Synology to see if I can get a replacement fan and hope that it is then fixed.
DarkKnight388
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Dan543 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:20 pm

I bought a DS211j a couple of weeks ago, and I also found the fan too loud.

First I tried to replace the original fan with another 7 cm fan that fit inside the case. I bought a "super silent" 7cm Papst fan. But to my surprise that did not help at all. The new fan sounded as bad at the original. It can of course be a case of two faulty fans, but what are the odds...

I did not know what to try next, but I had a 8cm Zalman fan lying around, so just to test I plugged that one in and the fan noise dropped to an acceptable level. I don't know if it's a case of 8 cm vs 7 cm, or if it simply a matter of the first two fans being faulty. Perhaps the fan control hw/sw is not really designed for an 7 cm fan. Apart from the noise in normal operation, my DS211j also suffered from the "hibernation burps" discussed here. http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=30552&start=0&hilit=hibernation+sound. This issue was also solved by the 8 cm fan.

I am currently running my DS211j with the 8 cm Zalman fan mounted outside the case, since there is not space for an 8cm fan inside. The fan spins a bit slower than the original fan which sometimes triggers the fan failure notification. I have found out how to stop the notification beep, but I have not found a way to disable the notification itself. This is not a big problem, but it fills up the logs, and of course renders the notification by email/SMS feature unusable. Any ideas how to solve that?
Dan543
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby TimY » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi !

I contacted the synology support about this noise. They send me a new fan from an other supplyer (Evercool).
Now all is ok.

TimY
Last edited by TimY on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DS211
2 x 2To Samsung F4
TimY
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Foksadure » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:26 pm

TimY wrote:I contacted the synology support about this noise. They send me a new fan from an other supplyer.
Now all is ok.

Please let us know which make and model # they have sent you, and if it solved the low-pitched rumbling noise of the DS-211 with the stock fan .

Mine has a Y.S.Tech FD127025LS, and I whish I swapped it with the one on my dead silent DS-210j when I still had the chance... I'm pretty sure it wasn't the same make and model.
Edit : confirmed http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=30552&p=121369#p121369

Thanks. :)
DS412+ [DSM 4.2-3211]
WD Red WD20EFRX/Samsung F3 HD203WI & F2 HD154UI
LACP on Netgear GS108T/GS605x2 & WG102
Logitech Media Server - SqueezeBox Classic v3 & Duet
Foksadure
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Foksadure » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:53 pm

For the record, I also got an Evercool fan from the Synology support, and all is great now.

:mrgreen:
DS412+ [DSM 4.2-3211]
WD Red WD20EFRX/Samsung F3 HD203WI & F2 HD154UI
LACP on Netgear GS108T/GS605x2 & WG102
Logitech Media Server - SqueezeBox Classic v3 & Duet
Foksadure
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Erik-a-Danish-guy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:06 am

Hi Guys - Im still waiting for my replacement fan (since mid-december) - very frustrating.
I e-mail'ed support twice to remind them, not to forget me, but noting is happening, and they even dont answer me.

Before I go totaly nuts and trash the DS, could any of you maybe tell me what fan you received from synology ? maybe I can find this in a local store here in DK.

Thank you.

Erik
Regards

Erik

Erik-a-Danish-guy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jps2 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:40 pm

Erik-a-Danish-guy wrote:Hi Guys - Im still waiting for my replacement fan (since mid-december) - very frustrating.
I e-mail'ed support twice to remind them, not to forget me, but noting is happening, and they even dont answer me.

I also requested for a replacement fan (25/11/2010), 5 days later I received a tracking code and a week later I received the package... It resolved the noise problem. Communication with Synology was ok, not always within a day, but acceptable. Did you apply a formal support request, using the ticketing system?

The picture shows the noisy fan on the left, and the replacement fan on the right.
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Erik-a-Danish-guy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:45 am

Thank you very much jps.
Today I actualy recieved my replacement fan, and it is the same as yours.
Synology appologiesed the delay, they have had some serverproblems.

Just installed the fan, and I am finaly quiet happy with my DS now.

Thanks to all of you - its a great forum.
Regards

Erik

Erik-a-Danish-guy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jps2 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:57 pm

You're welcome. I'm also very happy this new fan solve the issue
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jps2 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Guys, I have additional information. Today I received a DS211j for a daily remote backup (Rsync). This unit has already the 'Evercool' fan installed; the one Synology send me as a replacement for my DS211.
Rookie
Rookie

Return to System Management